+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    And Sarah Hansen Young who was a senator took her baby to work and breastfed whist there. She copped a heap of flack for it too.
    Could be a good spinoff...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    No no no no! All I'm saying is you can't use Penny Wong as an example of how it's easy/achievable for a mother to go back to work/have a career with a very young baby. Penny's circumstances are a little unique, more inline with a 'traditional' dads role. Not saying there is anything bad about that at all.
    Have to agree with @VicPark here. And nowhere did she say Penny Wong wasn't a mum! But she certainly isn't the primary caregiver - her partner is.

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    The thing is that it is irrelevant that 50% of the population is female if the percentage of female politicians is less than that. For a female to be a cabinet holder, first she needs to enter politics.

There are a number of reasons there are substantially less female politicians and maybe the argument needs to be started there. Just saying "its a boys club" isn't a definitive answer. A major reason its a "boys club" is because there are less women

This agree completely.
    Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    For the record, I am not ignorant, I do believe in climate change (but not at the alarmist rate, and the effects of the carbon tax are questionable), I do think more should be done about the refugee situation and gender equality issues do exist.

However, broad generalizations and sweeping judgments such as "why do the same people think this way...?" and "ignorance is bliss" is very insulting.
    Why is it then that this is such a barrier in the Liberal Party? Why not in Labor and the Greens?

I just don't think it can be explained away like that. Obviously Labor has in place the mentoring program's and other structural issues are being addressed to ensure women are represented! Why aren't the Liberals doing the same thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree, although I think there lies part of the problem. Not all mothers want to be primary care givers- and some dads really want to be, but our society is not set up for that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Have to agree with @VicPark here. And nowhere did she say Penny Wong wasn't a mum! But she certainly isn't the primary caregiver - her partner is.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, people asked for examples of women politicians with kids but suddenly they don't count unless they're the primary caregiver?

The point is that for many female politicians, having a family isn't in the way of them having front bench roles- because, like many male politicians, they have care arrangements that facilitate it.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (19-09-2013),beebs  (18-09-2013),delirium  (18-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree, look - Peg - I know you are a Libs supporter, but it doesn't mean that you can't look deeper into their issues. I look deeper into my parties issues all the time and find fault.

I really don't think that this can be explained away like that - especially as the other parties don't seem to be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    Why is it then that this is such a barrier in the Liberal Party? Why not in Labor and the Greens?

I just don't think it can be explained away like that. Obviously Labor has in place the mentoring program's and other structural issues are being addressed to ensure women are represented! Why aren't the Liberals doing the same thing.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Does anyone know where I can find a list of MPs as of 2 weeks ago (all parties)?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Busy-Bee try the ABC's election website. They'll probably have a summary there.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Staaz For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The MERIT system.. Mates Elevated Regardless of Intellect or Training.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (18-09-2013),beebs  (18-09-2013),Ellewood  (18-09-2013),snowqu33n  (18-09-2013)