+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBid View Post
    We know Tony Abbot is a pig we know. But now I think the media are just causing drama thats not there. They're just constantly trying to trip him up on things and sometimes ... It's just not there.
    This was your quote I was responding to... I didn't misunderstand, was just responding because as a female I do find it offensive when females who question and talk about these sorts of issues they/we get accused of being 'dramatic', paranoid, neurotic, hysterical, etc. because we dare to speak up and continue a dialogue. So you're not offended by TA, but many of us are! Many very intelligent, educated, ambitious and professional women on this forum and in this country are offended constantly by him. The media relays this and it really is 'there'.

You completely miss understood what i said. i didnt say there wasnt only one female in his cabinet. I said people are making it into something that very well may not even be there.

I cant stand tony abbot I didnt vote for him and I never would. I just hate when people go off on witch hunts about everything thanks to the media.
    It's not a witch hunt, it's genuine concern and frustration felt by women in this country who are fed up with men being the default gender and keeping women out if positions of (real) power.

PS I am glad you didn't vote for him!
    Last edited by Ellewood; 17-09-2013 at 18:52.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),shelle65  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    As to the whole moving on and getting over it thing. My culture was taken over by the English too - a heck of a long time ago - much longer than here in Australia. And the hatred never leaves, not that I look at Englsh people and hate them, but as a nation- I believe they have done huge amounts of wrong in the past, maybe that is why I totally understand why the "debt hasn't been paid" in terms of Indigenous Australians.
    Getting over it is hard and I don't know how people can. It's sad doing a tour of Uluru to have an indigenous guide explain that one cave was where the women have birth.. Another where the kids played etc... All as recent as the 1960's. So sad to think the original inhabitants (still alive) at some point were made/encouraged? to leave...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't buy the 'parliament isn't child friendly' argument. Bc the Gillard/Rudd govt had lots of women in senior positions.

Funny that hey
    That's a really good point. I think focusing on how child friendly a workplace is as the only reason for women's unequal representation is just reinforcing the idea that women's primarily role in life is baby making and any other work we do is secondary to that.

Plenty of families manage to juggle kids and have both parents working full time. Plenty of women are very driven in their careers and are willing and able to put in the hours to succeed in 'un-family friendly' workplaces. The reason that they are not represented adequately in the Liberal party is due to the culture of the Liberal party, not because of women's biology.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),shelle65  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    The reason that they are not represented adequately in the Liberal party is due to the culture of the Liberal party, not because of women's biology.
    Yep totally agree. The Libs are very much a Boy's Club where I get the feeling the few females that are there, are so to say they have a couple of females rather than truly believing women can do just as good as men. The Token Female so to speak.

Of course that's JMO, but I think it's pretty true.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (17-09-2013),gizmoduckus  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Bb, I hope the people liking your post aren't doing so because you've said your going for a root canal
    I hope so too! I've just spent nearly 90 minutes in the dentist chair and half of my face is numbed up - I somewhat resemble a stroke victim. To compensate I've had ice cream for dinner. I'm going to spend the rest of the evening sulking and feeling sorry for myself.

I don't buy the 'parliament isn't child friendly' argument. Bc the Gillard/Rudd govt had lots of women in senior positions.

Funny that hey
    Good point.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You completely miss understood what i said. i didnt say there wasnt only one female in his cabinet. I said people are making it into something that very well may not even be there.

I cant stand tony abbot I didnt vote for him and I never would. I just hate when people go off on witch hunts about everything thanks to the media.
    A Whitchurch hunt?

SRSLY

I have a daughter who is 20 years old, I was hoping she would have better access to opportunity than I did at 20, however the stats show me things haven't changed. I feel I have a right to be upset and angry over that. The fact that women are still getting a raw deal.

Our country voted in a sexist misogynist IMO and he's making decisions that do change lives and effect women all over Australia. It's an extremely important topic.

Im perplexed that more people aren't outraged.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Funny that hey
    Good point. Anyone with young kids?

I do think the discrepancy between labor and libs is too big to ignore. There has to be something about the libs that isn't welcoming to women.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    To those that think this is not a serious issue and we are making a mountain out of a mole hill, what would you tell your daughter if she said to you that she wanted to be a politician or the PM?

That's awesome sweetie but remember, you'll have to be at least twice as talented, work at least twice as hard and endure never ending media and public commentary on your looks rather than on anything you've achieved. You go for it!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),delirium  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my point is more concerning where does it stop? I realise what tony abbot is like. I dont deny that but its going to get to the point where people are getting hysterical over it. (people not women i dont need an argument about the meaning behind the word and Im using it aimed at men and women) I dont like the man i know hes a misogynistic jerk face i know this. But the media are getting to the point where i wouldnt be suprised if i saw on a new headline 'tony abbot goes to lunch.. only made eye contact with 2 women - where does the sexism end' im being over the top obviously but thats what this feels like to me