+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It does not really matter if parents choose not to go back to work at all or to go back part time after their parental leave.

It just means that society would stop seeing making babies as the mother business. It would be a parent business as both parents would be entitled to paid leave.

So small businesses might stop promoting a male worker over a female worker for fear of maternity leave since male workers would also be entitle to the same leave.
    Talk about equality

In my perfect world, after both parents have taken their parental leave, they would both go back to say 3 or 4 days a week. That would be sweet. But really, who cares, each family would do what's best for them.

ETA : VP you could take unpaid leave after the first 3 months. Or you could take your leave at half pay. I think it is possible to go back to FT work (if that your choice) and keep up BF when bub is over 6 mo. That's my plan anyway

ETA 2 : I must stress that the issue is not how to get people back to FT work after baby but more how to stop society seeing that having a baby is a mother's only business.
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 17-09-2013 at 17:44.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),Meg2  (17-09-2013),shelle65  (17-09-2013),Staaz  (17-09-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Just had a thought. Maybe there aren't as many female cabinet ministers because there aren't as many female polticians... Because politicians don't really have access to flexible working conditions. It's not as if they can say "I want to work a half day" when parliament is sitting. Their constituents voted them in to vote on their behalf... So they can't really wag when question time is on.

Makes it hard for women with young kids but that's life.
    This is a key point. Why aren't there female politicians? I would hazard a guess because being a politician is not a family friendly job - is there a bigger irony anywhere?

If I get time tonight I am going to do some analysis on MPs by gender. Stay tuned. I'm off to the dentist now for part 2 phase 2 of a root canal.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),Ellewood  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I certainly saw the initial years of my children's lives as my business due to breastfeeding. Expressing is no walk in the park.

With my son I returned at 11weeks only for half days because he didn't always take the ebm bottle.

My daughter was in day care at the university where I worked from 6months. I fed her between classes. One day I had to collect her from the daycare and parked her at the back of the classroom as her temp had come up to 38.5 and she had to leave daycare. There was noone else who knew the material to take the class. I'm lucky that I've been in the position to negotiate family friendly conditions when working.

I dont think the same exists in parliament. Imagine travelling interstate frequently, I didn't leave either of my children easily overnight when they were young. Both were fully breastfed till around 2 but that wasn't the reason

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Bb, I hope the people liking your post aren't doing so because you've said your going for a root canal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know for certain, but I still do think more women than men prefer to stay home fir the first year or two after babies are born and I would hate to have been in a situation where I was feeling pressured to return to work earlier than I was ready. Toddlerhood on the other hand, it would be great to have an option for partners to take parental leave during toddlerhood as lots of mums are ready to go back to work at that stage and BF-ing has often ended. If we had parental leave for both parents, that could be taken at any time until school age, I think that would be great for families (well, except me because I'm a single parent! But single parents should be entitled to two lots! )

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    Um no, pretty sure there really is only one female in TA's cabinet... How is quoting his own words and relaying facts about the structure of his party 'tripping him up'? If people just shut- up and not question and speak up about these things then nothing will ever change. As it is, not only are things not changing, they're getting worse for women in this country!
    You completely miss understood what i said. i didnt say there wasnt only one female in his cabinet. I said people are making it into something that very well may not even be there.

I cant stand tony abbot I didnt vote for him and I never would. I just hate when people go off on witch hunts about everything thanks to the media.
    Last edited by MrsBid; 17-09-2013 at 18:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It isn't a witch hunt. The alternative is ridiculous - that somehow women just aren't as good at being politicians as men.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't buy the 'parliament isn't child friendly' argument. Bc the Gillard/Rudd govt had lots of women in senior positions.

Funny that hey

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),Meg2  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it is probably a bit unfriendly. But you are right - interesting that Labor had women on the front bench, yet Libs claim that men just happened to be "best for the job".
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't buy the 'parliament isn't child friendly' argument. Bc the Gillard/Rudd govt had lots of women in senior positions.

Funny that hey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I think it is probably a bit unfriendly. But you are right - interesting that Labor had women on the front bench, yet Libs claim that men just happened to be "best for the job".
    Oh I agree. I think generally the workplace in a lot of sectors is not family friendly. But the argument that Abbott has no women on his cabinet bc politics isn't child friendly doesn't sit right with me given Labor had plenty of women.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)