+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    Not only that, but her partner was mocked for being a hairdresser...does anyone know what Tony Abbott's wife does for a living?

It goes all the way to hairstyles and clothes...who comments on male politicians hair styles or suits? Julila Gillard's were constantly being examined.
    And Abbott has been mocked for wearing speedos when he only wears them when surf lifesaving or doing iron man competitions.

Yep, mens attire gets commented on

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    And Abbott has been mocked for wearing speedos when he only wears them when surf lifesaving or doing iron man competitions.

That is true, although I have no interest in photos in the media of what my politicians do for hobbies or on their day off, I think it is irrelevant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It isn't anywhere in the same league as what they did to JG, every single time she stepped out she was critiqued on her clothes, her hair, her gay boyfriend, her barreness. TA gets nothing compared. None of the male politicians do.

In regards to the Carbon tax, I stand by what I said, a lot of people think that their power bills will go down when it is scrapped - and they just won't.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (17-09-2013),ChickyBee  (17-09-2013),Ellewood  (17-09-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (17-09-2013),snowqu33n  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    And I agree, I dont care what Tim does for a living, however obviously some people do or it wouldn't be in the media.

Maybe less females enter politics as they don't want the public scrutiny that would bring? I swim in a bikini, I wear my boardshorts when windsurfing, and my clothes are far from a stylists advice.

But my bigger problem is my main role in life is to shield and protect my children at this stage in their lives.

So if I ever enter politics it will be when my children are much older. Their father could do it now and I'd still be protecting them. Why me and not him? Because that is my choice as a woman and mother

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I agree, it starts way back. Provisions for Men to take paternity leave if the family chooses, cheaper and better childcare, free even - like they do in some European countries, free education, like in said European countries. So many things need to change, and the expectation that women are only ones who should staying at home and look after children should be the first.
    Hear hear!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd be interested to see just how many women have very young children as a percentage. Politicians also tend to be older with adult children (see TA as an example). And the Afghanistan thing I would also love to see answered - if they can find more women suitable for cabinet in a country that has historically denied women education altogether, what is up with Australia and our education and family/work balance?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Rarely does it ever get commented on, I think we have to recognise that men have to wear something pretty out of the ordinary for that to happen.

I think being honest about what women face when they go up the ladder does not mean we always have to point to examples of where men have also experienced some critique.

I feel over the years the commentary on women's clothing and looks/ weight outweighs the commentary on men 100:1. That's just my personal observation.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),Kirst33  (17-09-2013),Witwicky  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No because these statements are making sweeping judgments and could lead to the thread being closed.

I won't do it because I'm involved in this thread. But I'm sure some other members might feel the same.

By simply saying "can I say... Probably not" you've already said it. So your post might as well have said people who have partaken in this thread who have also partaken In others of the same nature with opposing views to the majority are bogan and have a lack of intelligence
    Yes I know... I was trying to actually say it. But admit it was slightly facetious.

For the record @pegasus I was 100% not referring to you.
    But I do think the people who don't believe in climate change, are hateful towards "boat people", don't believe in gender equity, etc are generally less intelligent than your average person. That's my experience in real life too. You don't fall in that category.

And it's not because they don't agree with the majority. It's because they are wrong. I would also say that people who thought the world was flat or was created in 7 days 2000 years ago were not the smartest tool in the box.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),Busy-Bee  (17-09-2013),Kirst33  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Are you serious? I grew up not far from Everly street in Redfern, I assure you, the people in inner city areas are severely disadvantaged as well. Reading all these posts, where people really seem to have no idea about what is going on in their own backyard, is really depressing.

Re positive discrimination. At my work, they have a quota they like to reach, they also have special cadet ships for indigenous Australian's. But they are still really hard to get into. You don't just rock up off the street and proclaim your Indigenous heritage and automatically get a job.
    Yes I am serious. Redfern probably was pretty bad however I can honestly say where I grew up the urban Aboriginal population were at no more a disadvantage than the non-Aboriginal population. And Later in life living with Aboriginals in remote communities they are at a 100% worse disadvantage than the Aboriginals where I grew up (standard of living, opportunity, racism).

- I am still for certain positive discrimination measures. I just believe as funding is limited others need to be tailored a bit more to those in greater need.
    Last edited by VicPark; 17-09-2013 at 16:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Just had a thought. Maybe there aren't as many female cabinet ministers because there aren't as many female polticians... Because politicians don't really have access to flexible working conditions. It's not as if they can say "I want to work a half day" when parliament is sitting. Their constituents voted them in to vote on their behalf... So they can't really wag when question time is on.

Makes it hard for women with young kids but that's life.