+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Why is it always the same people who don't believe in climate change, don't believe there are gender imbalances, don't think that Indigenous Australians do it tough and don't believe that we should be accepting refugees. What is that all about?
    Am I allowed to say bogan and lack of intelligence? Probably not.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),BigRedV  (17-09-2013),ChickyBee  (17-09-2013),Ellewood  (17-09-2013),ExcuseMyFrench  (17-09-2013),RobinSparkles  (17-09-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (17-09-2013),shelle65  (17-09-2013),snowqu33n  (17-09-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For the record, I am not ignorant, I do believe in climate change (but not at the alarmist rate, and the effects of the carbon tax are questionable), I do think more should be done about the refugee situation and gender equality issues do exist.

However, broad generalizations and sweeping judgments such as "why do the same people think this way...?" and "ignorance is bliss" is very insulting.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

gizmoduckus  (17-09-2013),MrsHoward  (18-09-2013),Spotdog  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    “Nevertheless there are some very good and talented women knocking on the door of the cabinet and there are lots of good and talented women knocking on the door of the ministry. - Tony Abbott

I wish i was better at drawing, but i'd love to see a picture off all these women on the other side of the door and Tony pushing up against it, not letting them in.

I take this as yes they are there, and they are asking to be let in the door?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    The thing is that it is irrelevant that 50% of the population is female if the percentage of female politicians is less than that. For a female to be a cabinet holder, first she needs to enter politics.

There are a number of reasons there are substantially less female politicians and maybe the argument needs to be started there. Just saying "its a boys club" isn't a definitive answer. A major reason its a "boys club" is because there are less women
    I agree...candidate selection is where it needs to start, why are more men selected as candidates than women? I find it very hard to believe that in such a high percentage of places, there were not equally, or more qualified women. I do think it needs to be examined through a gender issues lens.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),BH-KatiesMum  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The thing is that it is irrelevant that 50% of the population is female if the percentage of female politicians is less than that. For a female to be a cabinet holder, first she needs to enter politics.

There are a number of reasons there are substantially less female politicians and maybe the argument needs to be started there. Just saying "its a boys club" isn't a definitive answer. A major reason its a "boys club" is because there are less women

If I had a company which had 20 employees and had to place equal numbers of each gender into senior positions even though my company had only 20% of one gender -I'd have a problem with that. Oh and out of the last 7 positions I've worked in, 6 of the 7 of the boss/manager/director /owners were female
    Well then shouldn't we (as a society) be looking at the reasons women don't enter politics? Having folks like Bob Hawke say that women can't take leadership positions because they have a young child probably isn't helping things much!

Why is it so difficult / unattractive for women to enter politics? That's a question that needs to be answered and solved.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Staaz For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Why would there be less women available here than in Afghanistan, a place where historically women and girls have been completely denied education during certain periods of time?

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),BigRedV  (17-09-2013),ChickyBee  (17-09-2013),gizmoduckus  (17-09-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Am I allowed to say bogan and lack of intelligence? Probably not.
    No because these statements are making sweeping judgments and could lead to the thread being closed.

I won't do it because I'm involved in this thread. But I'm sure some other members might feel the same.

By simply saying "can I say... Probably not" you've already said it. So your post might as well have said people who have partaken in this thread who have also partaken In others of the same nature with opposing views to the majority are bogan and have a lack of intelligence

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (18-09-2013),Spotdog  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree, it starts way back. Provisions for Men to take paternity leave if the family chooses, cheaper and better childcare, free even - like they do in some European countries, free education, like in said European countries. So many things need to change, and the expectation that women are only ones who should staying at home and look after children should be the first.

If I had a company which had 20 employees and had to place equal numbers of each gender into senior positions even though my company had only 20% of one gender -I'd have a problem with that. Oh and out of the last 7 positions I've worked in, 6 of the 7 of the boss/manager/director /owners were female

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For the record, I am not ignorant, I do believe in climate change (but not at the alarmist rate, and the effects of the carbon tax are questionable), I do think more should be done about the refugee situation and gender equality issues do exist.

However, broad generalizations and sweeping judgments such as "why do the same people think this way...?" and "ignorance is bliss" is very insulting.
    What is questionable about the carbon tax, less 14% carbon emissions in one year - far higher than predicted. I'd say it was working pretty well.

What I will laugh about most of all, is that people are going to still get these high utility bills, because gas and elec are going up all the time at huge rates, that have nothing to do with carbon tax. How I shall laugh - It'll be my "I told you so" moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting...

The candidate selection process used by political parties is a major factor in determining the level of parliamentary representation by women. The decisions they make are usually influenced by the party’s rules and strategies for maximising the number of seats they win. One of the reasons commonly cited by parties for not endorsing women candidates was that they would lose the party votes. A survey conducted by Malcolm Mackerras in the 1980s, however, showed that female candidates were generally getting equal results to those of male candidates. The 2007 Commonwealth election for the House of Representatives yielded a similar result. Of the 1054 candidates contesting the 150 available seats, 14.7 percent of the female candidates and 14.1 per cent of the male candidates were successful. These results suggest that the reasons for women’s political under-representation are more to do with party preselection processes than the polls.

Whilst gender quotas of different kinds are widely used internationally to increase women’s participation in national parliaments, they have been somewhat controversial in the Australian context. In 1981 the ALP Conference endorsed affirmative action principles whereby women were to hold 25 per cent of all internal party positions. In 1994 the ALP adopted a mandatory 35 per cent preselection quota for women in winnable seats at all elections by 2002.[48] The proportion of female candidates preselected rose from 14.5 per cent in the 1994 election to 35.6 per cent in the 2010 election. As Hutch Hussein points out, these figures clearly demonstrate how the rule changes within the ALP have helped to achieve greater gender equality in Australia’s parliaments. [49] From 1 January 2012 a 40:40:20 quota system will apply ‘to produce an outcome where not less than 40% of seats held by Labor will be filled by women, and not less than 40% by men’. The remaining 20 per cent may be filled by candidates of either gender.[50] There is pressure within the party to increase the quota to 50 per cent. The Coalition parties (Liberal Party and the Nationals) have not adopted affirmative action measures for their respective parties’ parliamentary wings on the basis that gender quotas contradict the principle of merit. The Liberal Party uses women’s networks within the party, and provides support and mentoring to encourage women who stand for preselection. According to the Liberals’ Federal Women’s Committee, ‘[w]hilst the Liberal Party does not support the ALP’s quota system, the Party is aware that women of merit can be overlooked in our preselections processes, often because they lack the support and mentoring system that is often behind successful candidates’.

It goes on...if you want to read it
    http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliame...#_Toc318895783

I think there is certainly a broader issue of women not being represented adequately in parliament.

I cannot remember who made the comment that Tanya Pliberseck would not be a suitable candidate for Labor leadership because she had a 3 year old child? And yet no mention of Bill Shorten's 3 year old.

Australia does have a long way to go.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013)