+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    So discrimination is ok.... As long as it benefits minority.. And y is it what happened in the past? When has the debt been repaid so everyone can be treated the same? See what I mean where is the line?
    Really? Do you honestly think 'the debt has been repaid' and a majority of Aboriginals (at least!) are given the same opportunities as others in lifestyle, education, opportunity, prejudice? Really?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    So discrimination is ok.... As long as it benefits minority.. And y is it what happened in the past? When has the debt been repaid so everyone can be treated the same? See what I mean where is the line?
    Everyone is not treated the same. I find it worrying that you don't know that just being born aboriginal in this country is a huge disadvantage.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would suggest that "the line" is reached when that particular group is equally represented by percentage in that particular arena. For example, Aboriginal people make up 3% of Australia's population. Many workplaces & educational institutions have the goal of having 3% of their workforce or student body made up of Indigenous people. Likewise with women. At approx 50% if society, why is 50% of parliament not women? Not sure about the new government, but only 25% of lower house were women in the previous government. The upper house is looking better at 40% (ref: http://www.aph.gov.au/~/media/05%20A...rentwomen.ashx).

I guess the question is - is this truly representational? The idea of the parliament is that it represents the interests of the people of Australia. How can it truly do that, when the make-up of the parliament is not reflective of the population as a whole?

That is not to say that unqualified people should be promoted purely on the basis of gender or race. That's not what "positive discrimination" is about. It's about removing the barriers that prevent a certain group of people from participating equally. These barriers might be lack of education, lack of appropriate child care facilities, lack of confidence, lack of family support, lack of flexible working conditions, just to name a few that spring to mind.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Staaz For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),BH-KatiesMum  (17-09-2013),BigRedV  (17-09-2013),Busy-Bee  (17-09-2013),Ellewood  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Everyone is not treated the same. I find it worrying that you don't know that just being born aboriginal in this country is a huge disadvantage.
    I agree. But the degree to which an aboriginal is disadvantaged depends on their location and individual circumstance. Aboriginals living in the outback and remote communities are severely disadvantaged. Aboriginals living in certain metropolitan areas/regional NSW etc are much more on par with their non Aboriginal counterparts in terms of opportunity.

The problem with positive discrimination is that it is afforded to everyone in the minority group regardless of their circumstance. This is what some people probably find hard to swallow.
    - I'm not saying I'm not for Positive discrimination. I think it's absolutely necessary in many cases.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I agree. But the degree to which an aboriginal is disadvantaged depends on their location and individual circumstance. Aboriginals living in the outback and remote communities are severely disadvantaged. Aboriginals living in certain metropolitan areas/regional NSW etc are much more on par with their non Aboriginal counterparts in terms of opportunity.

The problem with positive discrimination is that it is afforded to everyone in the minority group regardless of their circumstance. This is what some people probably find hard to swallow.
    - I'm not saying I'm not for Positive discrimination. I think it's absolutely necessary in many cases.
    An aboriginal born in remote areas or in Sydney still have much higher infant mortality rate, lower education levels, lower employment rate and opportunities, higher incarceration rates. Lower life expectancy.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),Boomchocolatepudding  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not just talking about aboriginals. What about people who migrated recently what debt needs to be repaid there?
    I get positive discrimination but to me giving them opportunities isn't any kind of discrimination it's equal opportunity

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not just talking about aboriginals. What about people who migrated recently what debt needs to be repaid there?
    I get positive discrimination but to me giving them opportunities isn't any kind of discrimination it's equal opportunity
    What do you mean "debt needs to be repaid"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Someone else brought up about how some races are owed ie aboriginals for past indiscretions. Something that no one can change but people are aware and making sure it doesn't happen again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsHoward View Post
    And just because he doesnt have many female members doesnt mean he is anti-woman. But thats what feminists seem to think.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Ow I'm sure the white male brigade that makes up the cabinet are not 'anti-woman', so long as they're not running the show that is

I don't understand why this forum is so obsessed with gender.
    Pretty much every one if these threads is a discussion about something that's come up in the news. These are real issues in the real world and concern everyone, hence why it comes up in the news so often, then gets discussed here. That's generally the purpose of forums.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),Kirst33  (17-09-2013),soccer mum  (25-09-2013)