+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know how many have a degree and I don't know their unemployment rate. I assume you are talking about the end of my comment. The place I'm talking about isn't for a uni degree. And shouldn't everyone's unemployment be an issue not just one race of people.
    As for labor is that in their front bench? That's all that has been spoken about here not a party on a whole

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grooviechic35 For This Useful Post:

Father  (17-09-2013),MrsHoward  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If Abbott was so bad no putting more women into cabinet, who do you think deserved a position? Who would have you put in there and who would you have taken out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Positive discrimination for certain groups (including aboriginal people) exists to make up for the plethora of disadvantages that they have experienced in life over people like you and me. The fact they make it to interview stage for some jobs is a massive achievement in itself.

I agree it's "unfair"' for the individual who may not get a job in that instance as its goes to someone from a minority race (for example), but those individual unfairnesses (is that a word?!) need to exist to try and balance it out a bit. For the greater good, if you will.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),mummabec  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    If Abbott was so bad no putting more women into cabinet, who do you think deserved a position? Who would have you put in there and who would you have taken out?
    Kelly O'Dwyer?

the cabinet of Afghanistan now has more women in it than the cabinet of Australia - depressing.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),mummabec  (18-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    Why is it only a concern how many women are on the panel if we are playing the fair representation card, is there an aboriginal/ Torres Strait islander. Is there an Asian, a Muslim, a Jewish person. Etc....
    Why is only gender a consideration, also age why isn't there someone in their 20's there. There are so many other factors I don't understand why this forum is so obsessed with gender.
    I know places that use race for employment. They will employ an aboriginal over any other candidate even if they have better quals or experience to show diversity. Some companies get paid an allowance from govt for doing this. But u don't hear anyone saying that's unfair. But if it was the other way around all hell would break loose
    I agree it would be wonderful to see more diversity. However women make up 50% of the population - we are not a minority group, so it is particularly concerning when 50% of the population is barely represented.

As for your other comments, those employment policies have a base in pursuing "equity" which recognizes disadvantage and inequality in candidates' backgrounds. Given the white, male candidates have had educational and societal privileges the others haven't, it amens they will almost always be the "best person for the job" allowing for no diversity, and further entrenching of disadvantage.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),Benji  (17-09-2013),BigRedV  (17-09-2013),Busy-Bee  (17-09-2013),Ellewood  (17-09-2013),ExcuseMyFrench  (17-09-2013),gizmoduckus  (17-09-2013),Kirst33  (17-09-2013),NoteToSelf  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I agree it would be wonderful to see more diversity. However women make up 50% of the population - we are not a minority group, so it is particularly concerning when 50% of the population is barely represented.

As for your other comments, those employment policies have a base in pursuing "equity" which recognizes disadvantage and inequality in candidates' backgrounds. Given the white, male candidates have had educational and societal privileges the others haven't, it amens they will almost always be the "best person for the job" allowing for no diversity, and further entrenching of disadvantage.
    Thanks @shelle65 for putting it better than me!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),shelle65  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't know how many have a degree and I don't know their unemployment rate. I assume you are talking about the end of my comment. The place I'm talking about isn't for a uni degree. And shouldn't everyone's unemployment be an issue not just one race of people.
    As for labor is that in their front bench? That's all that has been spoken about here not a party on a whole
    Well considering aboriginal unemployment rate is much higher and education level is considerably lower than other races, I think it is important. Not to mention their life expectancy, infant mortality rate, living in third world conditions etc.

Yes, some are on front bench. Ed Husic, Penny Wong, Michael Danby.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),Kirst33  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Positive discrimination for certain groups (including aboriginal people) exists to make up for the plethora of disadvantages that they have experienced in life over people like you and me. The fact they make it to interview stage for some jobs is a massive achievement in itself.

I agree it's "unfair"' for the individual who may not get a job in that instance as its goes to someone from a minority race (for example), but those individual unfairnesses (is that a word?!) need to exist to try and balance it out a bit. For the greater good, if you will.
    So discrimination is ok.... As long as it benefits minority.. And y is it what happened in the past? When has the debt been repaid so everyone can be treated the same? See what I mean where is the line?

Thanks
    Reviews
    So discrimination is ok.... As long as it benefits minority.. And y is it what happened in the past? When has the debt been repaid so everyone can be treated the same? See what I mean where is the line?
    Yes it is ok in those circumstances. And legal, unlike discrimination the other way. That's why it's called positive discrimination.

Perhaps the "debt will have been repaid" when there is fair representation of these minority groups in society and the workplace? And when they start having the same opportunities for education and employment as you and me.

As Shelle said, gender is not in the same boat as we are not a minority group.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),mummabec  (18-09-2013),soccer mum  (25-09-2013)