+ Reply to Thread

Default PLEASE recommend a primary school in Brisbane! (Kelvin Grove?)

HI everyone!
    we just found out that we will be moving to Brisbane in late December. I have two boys (2.5 and 4.5) so one of them will be goining to school next January.

First I thought I found my ideal school - primary in Kelvin Grove but I realse that I can't go and see any of the schools, I haven't asked a single parent if they like the school... nothing! "all" I've done was more research by numbers (performance, rankings, etc.)

Would greatly appreciate your advice or story (if your children go to Kelvin Grove)

Here are the reasons why I picked KGS (and maybe there is a better school that would match those reasons) a bit structured by importance factor:

1. School performs very well in the "league table"
    2. state school (I want to stay home for the next year or two so finances are stretched anyway)
    3. They start LOTE in first grade (Italian) and add Japaneese in grade 5 (I think) - LOTE is VERY important to me, and the school must start LOTE in grade 1-2
    4. Seems like children will be exposed to a great number of very high quality opportunities outside the normal curriculum (e.g. all their schools of excellence, music bands, dance, etc)
    5. School has both special needs and talented/gifted teachers from prep on - not saying mine is any of the two, but if he was I am more confident that it will get noticed and supported either way
    6. Spoke with the primary school teacher over the phone and was ready to hand over my child to her streight after that:-) (Here in Melbourne we were thinking of holding him back but in Brisbane he now will be going to school because of the different cut over date).

7. We would have to live in KGC catchment area and hence will be very close to the Ballymore KIindy that again I LOVED and enrolled my youngest to go there in 2015 (but tis "love" is baes on what I read on their web site and the fact that the primary teacher recommended it too).

8. Hubby will work in CBD

9. we both are big city kids (we love living in appartments in high rise even with kids - so outter burbs will probably kill us though they might be beautiful and cheap). None of us is into sports and I find QLD climate way too hot and humid to want to do anything outside airconditioned rooms:-(

10. Want to be close to west end/south bank and new farm - found really cool classes for my younger one that I would want to attend while the big boy is at school, plus love the new farm park at the Power House (We've been to Brisbane once:-) and only to CBD/new farm so haven't seen much at all)

11. We are likely to stay in Brisbane for about 5 years

any ADVISE, OPPINION, LIFE STORY would be greatly appretiated!

Brisbane North
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have grown up in Brisbane and Kelvin Grove is a good school and a good area. Close to everything, plus you have the Royal Brisbane hospital down the road too.