+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    15,262
    Thanks
    628
    Thanked
    1,178
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Thank you for all if your responses! Just wondering what "going to seed" means?
    Its when the plant flowers and produces seeds. Usually with herbs you want to avoid it. We're also learnung the you want to avoid it with bok choy and lettuce too lol

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,005
    Thanks
    871
    Thanked
    829
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    Its when the plant flowers and produces seeds. Usually with herbs you want to avoid it. We're also learnung the you want to avoid it with bok choy and lettuce too lol
    The trick is to "harvest" the herbs before they flower. With coriander it happens pretty quickly. I think dill can be another one that's quick off the mark?

    I loooooooove coriander though....well worth the struggle but we haven't had a garden patch for ages. Just recently started a pot with thyme, rosemary, and tarragon (did somebody say hollandaise??)

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    141
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked
    45
    Reviews
    0
    We love coriander and would use about 3 big supermarket bunches a week.

    My coriander is never going to produce that much!!

    Any tips?

    This spring I've planted
    Coriander
    Basil
    Lettuce
    Mint
    Lemon thyme

    They're all going crazy except the mint?



    Sent from my life giving device

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    795
    Thanks
    900
    Thanked
    233
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Currently I have coriander, spring onion, thyme, lemon grass, Thai basil, Vietnamese mint, dill, lettuce, chilli, tomato & lemon.

    I bought coriander seeds at the spice section of any store. They're so easy to grow and grow quickly too. I plant a handful of seeds on one day, then another handful 2 weeks later... so I always have coriander handy.

    I bought lemon grass from a vegetable shop, chose a few that were old put them in a glass of water, change water every few days. When root came out, i planted them in a corner of our yard. They grew into a big bush in no time. I did the same thing with rosemary, unfortunately my husband accidentally killed it when he mowed the lawn. He killed my ginger too

    Tomato is the easiest thing to grow. Basil, dill, onion, mint, lemon. thyme are doing fine but very slow. Chilli is dying. I've never had luck with chilli & cucumber. It's annoying because we eat cucumber a lot. Something always eat the cucumber trees when they're a bout 15cm.

    What kind of fertilizer that you guys use? I only water everyday & with seasol about once a month.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to lovesushi For This Useful Post:

    Crafty mummy  (17-09-2013)

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,960
    Thanks
    914
    Thanked
    4,496
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    141
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked
    45
    Reviews
    0
    How far apart would you plant lettuces? I find mine are bunching up too much?

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,005
    Thanks
    871
    Thanked
    829
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lovesushi View Post
    Currently I have coriander, spring onion, thyme, lemon grass, Thai basil, Vietnamese mint, dill, lettuce, chilli, tomato & lemon.

    I bought coriander seeds at the spice section of any store. They're so easy to grow and grow quickly too. I plant a handful of seeds on one day, then another handful 2 weeks later... so I always have coriander handy.

    I bought lemon grass from a vegetable shop, chose a few that were old put them in a glass of water, change water every few days. When root came out, i planted them in a corner of our yard. They grew into a big bush in no time. I did the same thing with rosemary, unfortunately my husband accidentally killed it when he mowed the lawn. He killed my ginger too

    Tomato is the easiest thing to grow. Basil, dill, onion, mint, lemon. thyme are doing fine but very slow. Chilli is dying. I've never had luck with chilli & cucumber. It's annoying because we eat cucumber a lot. Something always eat the cucumber trees when they're a bout 15cm.

    What kind of fertilizer that you guys use? I only water everyday & with seasol about once a month.
    When we had our patch we used the fish one - cant remember what it's called now. Also occasionally used water saving granule thingys.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,005
    Thanks
    871
    Thanked
    829
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crafty mummy View Post
    How far apart would you plant lettuces? I find mine are bunching up too much?
    Are you starting with seedlings? What kind if lettuce? When we had it growing we would steadily pick leaves off from the outside (even if you're not planning on eating it, you could always chick it in the compost) - that kept it nice and perky. They like a lot of air and if they don't have it will get mouldy and attract bugs (ladybugs in particular I think), so the more space you can give them the better. Plus you'll be able to maneuver around them more easily.

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,380
    Thanks
    2,575
    Thanked
    3,785
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1379841318.143723.jpg

    Decided on a small pallet herb garden, starting out with chives, parsley, oregano and basil. Will see how I go with them and expand it if they're a success. Thanks for all of your advice!

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

    Albert01  (22-09-2013)

  12. #30
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    313
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked
    85
    Reviews
    0
    Ok so I subscribed to this thread and was so inspired I got me a little herb garden going.

    Basil, coriander and parsley in one big pot, thyme and oregano in another, mint on it's own, as well as a chili plant and mini tomato plant in their own pots too.

    Question though, how do I keep the bugs and pests away? Especially without using pesticides?

    I'm so not a gardener.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Which herb?
    By 2BlueBirds in forum Recipes & Lunchbox Ideas
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-07-2013, 08:38
  2. Herb-aholics ... Please help :)
    By Theboys&me in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25-06-2013, 20:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Bamboo Lulu
Unique, non-toxic wooden eco toys for babies. Water-based paints, saliva-resistant & baby safe. Super soft, prints & basics for baby, made from bamboo & organic cotton. Hypoallergenic - great for eczema relief. FREE gift with purchase. Code BUBHUB
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Baby U & The Wiggles - Toilet Training Products
Toilet training can be a testing time but Baby U is there to assist you and your toddler with the daunting task of toilet training. With a range of products that can be used at home, on holidays or out & about.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!