+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Growing a herb garden - where do I start?

I want to grow a herb garden because I use a lot of dried herbs for the convenience but I love the fresh flavours that fresh herbs give. The ones I use most are chives and parsley but would also like to grow rosemary. Are these easy to grow, and do they all need similar growing conditions? An I better off getting seeds or seedlings? Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Rosemary is dead easy to grow, as is parsley. I have them both growing in the same pot. They like sunshine and water. Parsley won't cope as well with intense sun as Rosemary. Rosemary you can pretty much just leave to it's own devices.

I grew my parsley from seeds but you can buy seedlings. I bought a baby rosemary bush though and just transplanted it. Didn't take long to grow.

Chives I can't grow, they always are dying on me! But someone else may know better.

Thyme also grows well, as does mint!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Google square foot garden - that's what DH built for us a few years ago and its wonderful! This year I have : Basil, mint, thyme, coriander, chives , parsley and oregano - usually coriander hates me but so far so good this time! The rest ive never had a problem with, we used seedlings and I have planted an organic garlic bulb which should be great when it starts to grow!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (16-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've managed chives, they just need a little more water and a little less sun as they're a bit delicate.

How about coriander, mint, basil too? Mint is very difficult to kill.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you want to use them straight away, start with seedlings. Possums love parsley and will eat it right down to the stalk - but you can "fence it off" with chicken wire etc and they won't be able to reach it. I love coriander but it can take a bit if work - if you don't tend it regularly it can go to seed pretty quickly.

Thyme is another good one, also tarragon (tarragon LOVES water - it's always thirsty!)....

Are you using pots or planting a little patch?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I bought seedlings from Bunnings & they are thriving. I have rosemary, parsley, chives, spinach, basil, lettuce, Roma tomatoes, thyme & spring onion. ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1379286228.587982.jpg I water them once a day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Keeping them in pots to start with is a good idea so you can work out where they're going to do the best in your yard. If you don't want them to seed make sure they get a regular trim (even using some of our things a few times a week wasn't enough to stop them from seeding). Mint needs its own spot or tub because it will spread like nothing else lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grow my herbs in pots as I don't have a garden, and due to lack of space I grow 2 in each pot. I have rosemary and thyme in the one pot as they both like dryer conditions, then I have parsley and chives together as they like lots of water, and then I have basil and dill together as they both love lots and lots of water.

The parsley, thyme and rosemary always grow really well. Rosemary is a slow grower but turns into a sturdy little shrub eventually. Basil also grows really well but dies off over winter and needs replacing in spring.
    My chives grow fairly well but they do tend to get a bit overcrowded being in with the parsley which grows very quickly and vigorously.
    Dill I've had a fair few attempts at, I need to use a lot of snailbait though to get it past the seedling stage as the snails love it!

I've also taken a little piece of mint from my mum's garden and stuck it in the ground here. It can be very invasive though so I would recommend growing it in a pot.

Coriander doesn't like summer so can be a bit difficult. Good thing I don't like coriander anyway.

I've also grown oregano really well but found I didn't use it much.

I always use seedlings for herbs. They're cheap and give you a good head start.

Water regularly and also use a good water soluble fertiliser, and your herbs will love you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing. Only grown lettuce and carrot so far but would love to grow some herbs