+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Remind of the benefits, ready to give up

My DS is 5 weeks old. He is a constant feeder, especially at night. I know I offer the breast for comfort and whenever he is unsettled, but I don't know how to get out of that habit. Hubby takes him for a little bit but bub cries so hubby gives him back to me and doesn't settle till I offer the breast.
    We have no supply issues,plenty of wet and dirty nappies, great weight gain, all is great. I'm just ready to give up as I'm exhausted! So remind me and tell me how great it is for my son.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's great for your son because you are providing him with everything he needs: food, love, comfort.

It's hard. Bl00dy hard at times! You are doing fantastically well. You're up to 5 weeks, high five!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (16-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It gets easier. When they are little they are constantly attached. Soon bub will feed less often, for a shorter time and will even attach by himself. It gets easier, youre doing so well, dont give up xx

Sent from my GT-P7500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is SO much easier to "fix" whatever is wrong with a baby by shoving a boob in their mouth than trying to actually figure out what is wrong!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

angelini  (16-09-2013),Boobycino  (16-09-2013),btmacxxx  (16-09-2013),Crumpet87  (15-09-2013),Mathermy  (16-09-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-09-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    You are providing him with with the best possible nutrition available, it's custom made just for him.

It's exhausting and at times demoralising but worth it.

Have you learnt to feed lying down? That can be a big help. You can lie in bed and doze, watch TV, read. *bliss*

I was always most grateful that I persevered when they got sick or where in pain and I could comfort them with a boob. Don't stress about falling into bad habbits - if your baby cries it's because he wants something and right now his cure-all is his Mummy's boob.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Mathermy  (16-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with indigo. It does get easier. In a another month it will be much easier. In two months it will almost be a brease. It is so worth it to persevere. Try and relax and just think how quickly time passes. Bub is your top priority right now, and these early days are important to establish bonds with baby, and breastfeeding really helps that bond. Just let everything else go, housework etc....and try to find a way to just enjoy it. Sleep whenever you can. You will be happy you did it in a couple of months.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bwana For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (15-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My one month old constantly feeds. I'm beyond exhausted and have fantasies of just being able to go for a walk alone. I have 3 others kids and am worn out. I know it gets easier but I share your exhaustion.

You are doing exactly what nature programmed you and your son to do. There's nothing wrong with a 5 week old feeding all the time. You're not taking the easy option of putting a boob in his mouth every time he cries. He's 5 weeks old. He needs love, warmth and closeness. I use the time I breast feed to hold her close and memorise all the lines and edges on her face. Or I play on my ipad.

I have an 8 yo who is so busy and always out. The time goes too fast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Melissa, I was exactly where you were 4 weeks ago, now in week 9 with DS and I barely give bf a second thought, one day it just fell into place. I promise you it gets easier! But this only came after several weeks of bleeding nips, tears (mine and his), sleep deprivation, nipple shields and pumping. Now I just pop out a boob and stick him out without any drama.

For me, breast feeding was a choice I made, then the natural and easy part came later. It was hard but I chose to persevere through it. If I can, you can too!!
    Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also add that at 5 weeks I don't think DS really settled without the boob either. But around 6 weeks he started to be soothed in other ways including DH bouncing him in a bouncy chair thing and me walking around the house patting him. It felt great when he started to settle in other ways, I felt like more than just a milk machine!
    Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes it gets easier and quickly Try to be kind to yourself during the days, easy meals and lots of naps/sitting on the couch/watching TV. Maybe look at your diet, we need LOTS of food while breastfeeding! Hope it calms down soon.