+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving Interstate Mid Pregnancy..

Greetings,

I'm about 18 weeks pregnant, my partner and I are currently living in the Hawkesbury Area but plan to move to Victoria towards the end of the year.

I'm wondering what I should do in this situation.. This is our first baby and I don't know what to do from here at all..

I've been reading a lot of information online about needing to book a hospital and I feel like I'm falling behind in organising a lot of things I should have already figured out, I'm stressing out like you wouldn't believe and I don't know what to do..

Eek... Help?
    Do I have to book a hospital in Bendigo? or what?
    I'm so confused and stressed out.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi there,

My dh and i are also moving interstate mid pregnancy.

I was already booked into a hospital where we are living currently so called the hospital in the area of where we are moving and queried the process of transferring my care.

It is actually a very simple process. They booked me in around the time we were going to arrive to book us into the hospital and go through everything on my pregnancy record so far.

We are moving in two weeks so hoping the transfer goes smoothly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DP had our 1 & 2 in Horsham Vic. With one of them she did not even have her 1st appointment at the hospital as their 1st opening was after due date.

Should be simple to get it all organised. Don't stress. They are normally helpful

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Book into your local hospital in your currebt town. Get your scans and bloods done. See either the midwives at the hospital or your GP.

When you move to your new town, call the hospital there and say that your X weeks pregnant and need to book in, they'll arrange an appt there. Make sure you keep a copy of all your scans, bloods and pregnancy health record and take them along.

Its no drama, I have lots of women come from other towns, interstate and overseas in late pregnancy and there's no issues with transferring care.

if you're wanting to go private in your new town, then you might have to do things a lot earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My step daughter moved from the USA to here, when she was 29 weeks pregnant. all we did was get her USA dr to send all her notes, she booked into my GP, and the local hospital and started her care.it was very simple from the USA to here so im sure it will be just the same for you, state to state..

Good luck with your baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    should have mentioned my wife was about 38 weeks when we moved

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Louise, I just moved from HWK to VIC so I have actually done exactly the move you are doing. I had my GP do all my care until I moved to VIC, but I made my VIC hospital booking in appointment as soon as I could (I think I was about 16 weeks when I made this appointment and they actually couldn't get me in until I was 23 weeks). I flew down to go to my booking in appointment even though I hadn't moved yet. Then we made an appointment for a week after my move date which corresponded to my 28 week appointment. I saw my GP in HWK for my needs in the meantime. They gave me the GCT referral at my booking in appointment so I could have it done two days before my next appointment (after moving).

The main difficulty with this particular move is that I was booked in to the hospital so late that I didn't really have a lot of options for care. I was happy to use the midwives clinic anyway so it made little difference to me, but if you want a specific midwife or OB you will probably have trouble booking into them at this point. And I was super happy to go with GP care while I was in HWK because my GP was wonderful.

You might also start phoning/asking around for GP referrals in VIC since you will still go to a GP for various things between midwife appointments.

If you need more info I am happy to chat.