+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Can you give me an example of what you would have for dinner for a week?
    Sunday: roast chook and baked veg
    Monday: pumpkin risotto
    Tuesday: tuna mornay and rice
    Wednesday: steak and steam veg (microwave type)
    Thursday: soup and oven fries (either tinned or home made such as sweet corn and chicken)
    Friday: fish and salad
    Saturday: BBQ (snags, kebabs) and salad

We buy enough to cook for 2 meals (dinner and lunch the next day).

And I suppose we buy lots of snacks/extras (yoghurt, sultanas, cold pre-packedbdeli meat, fancy low fat cheese, pre-made custard in a carton, juice, crumpets etc). Oh and bacon and eggs fe Sunday breakky..

This also counts grog (a couple of bottles of wine) but nappies come out of a separate budget so that cancels that out!.

Trying to find cheaper grit and veg by buying at a veg shop/farmers market instead of Coles and woolies).

I've also started shopping once per fortnight instead of weekly: it's helping to reduce wastage. Previously by bill could go as high as $400 per week... Now I'm at $330.
    Last edited by VicPark; 16-09-2013 at 18:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Sunday: roast chook and baked veg
    Monday: pumpkin risotto
    Tuesday: tuna mornay and rice
    Wednesday: steak and steam veg (microwave type)
    Thursday: soup and oven fries (either tinned or home made such as sweet corn and chicken)
    Friday: fish and salad
    Saturday: BBQ (snags, kebabs) and salad

We buy enough to cook for 2 meals (dinner and lunch the next day).

And I suppose we buy lots of snacks/extras (yoghurt, sultanas, cold pre-packedbdeli meat, fancy low fat cheese, pre-made custard in a carton, juice, crumpets etc). Oh and bacon and eggs fe Sunday breakky..

This also counts grog (a couple of bottles of wine) but nappies come out of a separate budget so that cancels that out!.

Trying to find cheaper grit and veg by buying at a veg shop/farmers market instead of Coles and woolies).

I've also started shopping once per fortnight instead of weekly: it's helping to reduce wastage. Previously by bill could go as high as $400 per week... Now I'm at $330.
    That is pretty good... it's not like you're eating wagyu and prawns every night lol. Fortnightly shopping works out much better, so that's a good start. All of your snacks/extras we buy too. Are you very brand specific or do you try cheaper alternatives?
    Last edited by atomicmama; 16-09-2013 at 18:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTugs View Post
    I've heard that you can no longer donate to charities as its not safe, food needs to be thrown away. Completely thing this is a load of cr@p but they actually police it I've heard. Even just loaves of bread etc!
    I know of bakeries that still do, although there are limits as to how much and what products can be donated

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I budget $150 one fortnight, $200 the next to cover topping up staples and laundry stuff etc. that's for 2 of us and a rabbit who eats her weight in kale each week.

I know I could do it for less but I've been lazy lately and buying everything from woolworths because I don't have the energy to go to different places.

I meal plan but it often falls by the wayside because I forget to take meat out the freezer, or dp gets switched to night shift.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    That is pretty good... it's not like you're eating wagyu and prawns every night lol. Fortnightly shopping works out much better, so that's a good start. All of your snacks/extras we buy too. Are you very brand specific or do you try cheaper alternatives?
    Brand specific (eg it took me years to find the best tasting low fat cheese). But I'm not afraid to buy no name if its as good/nearly as good. The problem is I buy online and shop from a master menu of items I previously bought. It takes too much time to go back to a general menu and compare items..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Brand specific (eg it took me years to find the best tasting low fat cheese). But I'm not afraid to buy no name if its as good/nearly as good. The problem is I buy online and shop from a master menu of items I previously bought. It takes too much time to go back to a general menu and compare items..
    Sorry to derail the thread but which cheese is it?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MinnieMouse81 For This Useful Post:

Vegielove  (22-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMouse81 View Post
    Sorry to derail the thread but which cheese is it?
    Bega tasty light : 50% less fat version.

I buy the slices and the grated stuff (yep probably more expensive but it saves me time grating...)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks! I already get that but just checking. It's expensive though

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MinnieMouse81 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (16-09-2013)