Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    $100 a week

Can get it down to $75 if I plan for the fortnight

2 adults and 2 kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    Not a huge amount, but we're not out looking every day. We've found a couple of hot spots near us so check them regularly and get lots of bread from bakeries. We've found that lots actually leave unsold bread in a box either next to or on top of their dumpsters! We get a fair bit from fruit and veg shops but it's usually a big stash of something. Last week DP brought home two plastic bags full of pears that were on the brink but totally fine, so we stewed them all and froze them. A few weeks ago we found a whole box of tomatoes and after carefully checking them all I only had to throw out a couple. I slow roasted them all and froze them for pasta sauce. It's seriously mind blowing the stuff that gets thrown out! I understand that shops won't be able to sell it but it's such a waste!
    I worked in restaurants and cafes for 4 years and the amount that had to be thrown out was incredible! I know many places donate to charities, but so many more could jump on board.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Far out... You ladies are awesome. I spend about $330 per week for 2 adults and a toddler. And I meal plan. Am trying to cut back but not having much luck. With working I tend to buy packaged/pre-made stuff that saves time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    Not a huge amount, but we're not out looking every day. We've found a couple of hot spots near us so check them regularly and get lots of bread from bakeries. We've found that lots actually leave unsold bread in a box either next to or on top of their dumpsters! We get a fair bit from fruit and veg shops but it's usually a big stash of something. Last week DP brought home two plastic bags full of pears that were on the brink but totally fine, so we stewed them all and froze them. A few weeks ago we found a whole box of tomatoes and after carefully checking them all I only had to throw out a couple. I slow roasted them all and froze them for pasta sauce. It's seriously mind blowing the stuff that gets thrown out! I understand that shops won't be able to sell it but it's such a waste!
    Great tips. I think my problem is I only have a small freezer so can't store a tonne of stuff bought in bulk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd probably say about $150/wk, which I think is pretty good considering the only two options around are Coles & woollies ( and a fruit shop, but it is more exxy than either supermarket and the food there is half rotten a lot of the time!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Far out... You ladies are awesome. I spend about $330 per week for 2 adults and a toddler. And I meal plan. Am trying to cut back but not having much luck. With working I tend to buy packaged/pre-made stuff that saves time.
    Can you give me an example of what you would have for dinner for a week?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing for later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    $150 to $170 a week. I used to be able to do that a fortnight. I been lazy lately.

That for 2 adults, 1 teenage boy who double what anyone else does, 2 pre-teen dd's a 5yr old and a 1 yr old ds's.
    So that is 7 of us all.

wow that's impressive
    can I ask what sorts of food you eat? Dinners, lunches, breakfasts & snacks?

I budget $220 a week for 2 adults, 3 children & a dog. We almost always never spend it all so the left over cash goes in our holiday tin I prefer to over budget a little bit for the weeks that we may need it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I worked in restaurants and cafes for 4 years and the amount that had to be thrown out was incredible! I know many places donate to charities, but so many more could jump on board.
    I've heard that you can no longer donate to charities as its not safe, food needs to be thrown away. Completely thing this is a load of cr@p but they actually police it I've heard. Even just loaves of bread etc!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Around $200 a week for 2 adults and 2 kids.