+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Make an appointment with an audiologist and have your hearing tested.

I have partial hearing loss in my left ear in the higher ranges (>2000hz) and like many others with slight, mild or moderate hearing loss struggle in environments where there is background noise... Restaurants, even an open window when the TV is on or a heater.

Have your hearing checked (if you're in sydney go to Macquarie uni hearing hub I think is free, or get a referral). You could have some hearing difficulty. It's definitely worth knowing!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    Make an appointment with an audiologist and have your hearing tested.

I have partial hearing loss in my left ear in the higher ranges (>2000hz) and like many others with slight, mild or moderate hearing loss struggle in environments where there is background noise... Restaurants, even an open window when the TV is on or a heater.

Have your hearing checked (if you're in sydney go to Macquarie uni hearing hub I think is free, or get a referral). You could have some hearing difficulty. It's definitely worth knowing!
    I thought about that, but is there something that can be done about it, or would it just mean I had a label for it? The open window thing I can really relate to. We live on a busy road, and if I have the door or window open I find myself getting agitated without being able to figure out why, until I close it again. Same deal with things like an extractor fan going. It seems to up my stress levels significantly and I feel a physical sense of relief when the noise is gone. On the other hand, places that I know will be noisy don't bother me at all, eg shopping centres.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    A wee bit off topic, but I find it hard to hear people when there's lots of background noise. If I'm at the shops or something, even though it's not really noisy, it's ENDLESS noise, and I cannot hear what people are saying when we're surrounded by background noise, but can hear all the individual backgrounds noises easily enough.

It's weird.

So I don't like background noise for that reason... but if I'm just at home, I PREFER background noise.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I flip out. I feel like a bug being
    Sprayed with repellant. Noise is just awful

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I thought about that, but is there something that can be done about it, or would it just mean I had a label for it? The open window thing I can really relate to. We live on a busy road, and if I have the door or window open I find myself getting agitated without being able to figure out why, until I close it again. Same deal with things like an extractor fan going. It seems to up my stress levels significantly and I feel a physical sense of relief when the noise is gone. On the other hand, places that I know will be noisy don't bother me at all, eg shopping centres.
    I feel this way exactly! The exhaust fans being left on in the bathroom is the biggest one for me. The difference to my stress levels is amazing once they're off.

I've never had my hearing tested, but my sister has partial hearing loss, my brother has significant hearing loss, my dad has hearing aids, (that he never wears) so I'm pretty sure that if I were to be tested I'd be told partial hearing loss, with nothing that can be done. So I haven't bothered, but you may want to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to live in a share house before I fell pregnant with DD1. There was noise all the time, the TV was constantly on (usually with no-one watching), music playing and we lived on a main road, so there was traffic noise too. It never used to bother me at all.

After having my third baby, YES, I know exactly what you mean!

Usually in the morning on the weekends, one of the kids will be on the iPad, the others will be watching TV or playing with a noisy toy and DP will be playing a game or watching something on his phone (sound all the way up). I actually feel my stress levels rise due to the noise, and it bugs me because I never used to be like that.

DP on the other hand doesn't seem to worry about noise in the house at all. His solution is to turn the TV volume UP to drown it all out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have confirmed hearing loss, particularly on one side and I suffer from the same thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The longer I'm a mum the better I am at tuning it all out.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is me to! Can't stand tv on loud and ads just make it noisier ahh! I usually have DH mute the tv during them cos I can't stand the noise. Same with people trying to talk over the tv..just turn it off you're not watching it anyway! Music to I'm finding I don't like up to loud.
    I never used to be like this and music was as loud as it could go in our house, then I became pregnant with the first and it started and slowly getting worse.
    I thought it was just a getting old thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    well if there's hearing loss, yes there's all types of hearing devices these days, nothing like the old daggy big heating aids. Many people with partial hearing loss chose not to use them though. I don't. Just as many people with partial hearing loss and difficulty don't know about it because they think their hearing is fine. I feel I can hear very well, and often hear sounds in the distance when others can't, but I have unilateral hearing loss. It's the things like the heightened sensitivity to background noise that effect the way I hear. If you have your hearing checked, the audiologist will be able to advise what is best considering what type if hearing issues you have and where in the auditory pathway is affected, and you can go from there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (15-09-2013)