+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 6.5 month old - middle of the night wakefulness

For the last week my 6.5 month old daughter has been waking between 12-1am, having a bottle then staying awake for at least an hour. At first she wants to smile and laugh, we don't acknowledge her attempts to get our attention and keep things very quiet and dark with lots of shh-ing, then after a while of trying to get her back to sleep, it turns into hysterical screaming. The only way we've had success getting her back to sleep (and staying asleep) is to put her in bed with us. If we let her fall asleep in our bed then take her to her cot, she wakes up hysterical not long after. Neither of us sleep well with her in our bed so co-sleeping really isn't a long term option for us. We're trailing weaning her off her swaddle at the moment (only since today) as I thought maybe if she can put her dummy back in and reach her comforter she might comfort herself without needing us; so far hubby and I have been tag teaming back and forth to her cot for the last hour, trying to get her to sleep in there.

I just don't know what to do :-( the only advice people around me have are controlled crying (which I will never do with her) and co-sleeping, I hope someone has some advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have just been through something similar with DS who is now 7.5 months. He went from being a great sleeper with one feed a night, to doing what you describe. He would wake around 10ish though and be up for a couple of hours some nights.

Happy to say it was just a phase and he has gone completely back to normal . The only thing that seemed to help was to stay in the room, sit next to his cot and pat him. Or bring him into bed with us if that failed. He just didn't want to be alone I think.

I wonder if it could be a separation anxiety issue with your bub? You starting work may have just caused a little spike in it? Hopefully if you ride it out she will settle back down in another week or so? Otherwise is she teething? Does a dose of panadol make a difference?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for your response and I'm glad to hear it was only a phase for your little one. We've tried Panadol and it doesn't make her any better so I don't think she's in pain. It started after my first week back at work so you might be right about the separation anxiety, however she's with her grandparents who she knows very well when I'm at work. After her second long awake period last night we gave her a bath and that calmed her down and that worked one night through the week so it looks like its middle of the night baths for her until this stage passes. Thanks again :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How are things going?

We had another shocker night last night, and as I was patting and rocking and pacing I was wondering if you and DD were in the bath!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aww thank you for thinking of me! She has actually improved significantly this week, and last night she woke up a few times but I was able to put her dummy in and pat her back to sleep without a bottle for the first time in a looooong time.

I read something interesting today, it was from a store that sells baby sleep products so not hugely credible but it did make some sense. It said at 5 months their sleep patterns change and rather than drifting from one sleep cycle into the next, they fully wake up between cycles. So if things aren't as they expected (I.e. mum / dad not holding them, not being fed, dummy not in their mouth, etc) they'll usually wake up until that condition they need is met. It spoke about creating sleep associations which don't involve you, like a comforter and a dummy in their mouth and a few spare ones around them in the cot so they can put it back in themselves. Not sure if this sounds relevant to you but I thought I'd share as I found it interesting.

I hope your little ones sleep improves so you can get some sleep yourself :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I worked out he was constipated so I have added a whole prune to all his meals, we're doing BLW as well. Seems much happier today after a few better looking poops!

That does make sense what you read. My first step is ditching the wrap all together. First night without it tonight, wish me luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Massive good luck! I bought the 50/50 love to dream swaddle where I can zip one arm off, starting that from her first day sleep tomorrow... Though I found out today she often goes to sleep easily at mum and dads without being swaddled, but won't sleep at home without it (yet). Little bugger lol.

Glad that the prunes are working! How are you adding it to food with BLW? I chopped some up and cooked them in pancakes for my daughter last week but apart from that I'm not sure how to get them into her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Epic fail .

Have no idea how to tackle this one, he's alseep now swaddled again.

As for the prunes I just take the pip out and put them whole on his tray. He loves them and chews quite happily on them. They make a huge mess though, black stuff everywhere!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you try wrapping him with one arm out so it's a gradual transition? I did one arm out for her day sleeps today, and while it took ALOT longer for her to go to sleep, after she got over flapping her free arm and taking her dummy out, she eventually got there. I hope you have better luck tonight!