+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tantrums!

DS is 2.5 years old and for a whole week now his tantrums has been uncontrollable!
    Everything seems to trigger his tanty!
    First thing in the morning he would start his tanty till pretty much bed time! If anything doesn't go his way he would go off, even if I give him what he wants he's still not happy.
    Tried taking toys away, naughty corner,
    Distractions, adjust diet, the whole lot! He's not unwell. Nothing works.
    Like today he came to my room first thing in the morning and was happy for 2 min then started whinging because the blanket was the wrong way! Turning it the right way doesn't make him better, he would just cry and scream and kick and roll around on the floor! It all ended when I told him that we will go to the shops today. Then he started whinging about shops, has to go NOW, non stop whinging crying on the floor until we are actually out!
    He went off when I opened his packet of biscuit for him, when hubby ate some biscuits that's in his bowl, when we try to put his clothes on take them off, change his nappy, change the tv Channel, everything seems to irritate him.
    Is this a normal phase they go through?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do we have the same child......this was basically my day.....I'm putting ds behavior down to the fact his baby sister arrives on Friday......

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mummtime101 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My two year old is becoming like this too. Seriously.. everything is tanty worthy and it takes him forever to get over it. Distraction, time out, hugs...nothing works. Sorry no advice just feeling your pain

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

tubster  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope it's a phase there were moments I felt like I need to hide in a hole

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tubster For This Useful Post:

mummtime101  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Tantrums are normal.

When my son was going through a terrible phase, my first question would be if he had enough sleep. At 26 months, my son refused to have day naps, and his behaviour was horrid because he was always tired.

Does your child get enough sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been told it is a phase......which returns when they are 3. So basically stuck with tanty children.......

Ds has his good days and bad days though......

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mummtime101 For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds1 is exactly like this.
    He cried for fifteen minutes today because I picked a stray hair off of his tshirt, then again when ds2 crawled over a touched his potty!

I have found that the only way to handle it is to say to him 'ok you have a tantrum, that's fine, but when you're finished I'll be in the kitchen' then walk away.
    If he follows me then I just keep walking around doing things until something finally distracts him or he says sorry to me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lumpy Melon For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh lordy, my DS is just like this at the moment! Bossy, demanding and at times quite emotional.

I'm cutting him some slack because we've just gone through the upheaval of moving house, but in all honesty I think he'd be behaving similarly regardless. It's a difficult age...and scarily a lot of parents say the 3's are worse. I'm scared!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

tubster  (15-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Tantrums are normal.

When my son was going through a terrible phase, my first question would be if he had enough sleep. At 26 months, my son refused to have day naps, and his behaviour was horrid because he was always tired.

Does your child get enough sleep?
    He's been sleeping well. Goes to bed from 8-7, and naps around 1pm. We do range of things to keep him occupied too. We also go out to the park, feed the ducks, fly kites, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    Oh lordy, my DS is just like this at the moment! Bossy, demanding and at times quite emotional.

I'm cutting him some slack because we've just gone through the upheaval of moving house, but in all honesty I think he'd be behaving similarly regardless. It's a difficult age...and scarily a lot of parents say the 3's are worse. I'm scared!!!
    You have summarized it! Bossy, demanding and emotional! Exactly that!