+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Some workplace advice please!!

Ok, I'll try to make this short!! Lol

We have a small office of 3-5 admin staff and 1-2 nursing staff, and a manager who is a nurse but doesn't sit in the same room.

Previously we have had a nurse working in the room who was harassing and intolerable, and overstepped a lot of boundaries. Had the opinion that as she was a nurse and other staff admin, she was 'supervisor' and ruled the roost. Put her nose in where it didn't belong etc and made everyone's life MISERABLE. We lost a lot of staff.

Anyway, thankfully this woman has retired. We have been all functioning fine as a unit, very productive and getting along well.

Now a new nurse has come on board and she is practically identical. Our manager has been on unexpected leave and has sent out an email informing us, while saying - any issues, speak to (our manager's manager). This new nurse has taken it upon herself to take over management of the unit and boss around all of the other staff. Even managing rostering etc!

Basically, I don't want it to get back to the point we were at last time. Everyone was miserable, 2 staff in counselling, high staff turnover, poor work performance and disfunctional unit

How can we 'nip it in the bud' in an appropriate way?!? Anyone got any ideas about how to handle it in an appropriate/professional manner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry this is so long, I just want to give an example.

We had all been working all day, and it was VERY quiet. No work on, so we were really all just sitting there - SO annoying!

My sister rang my mobile and, since I hadn't had any breaks today, I answered the calls. I told the admin girls who I work with (and it only affects them whether I'm there or not) that I will just take afternoon tea quickly and chat to my sister. I did so but was still at my desk to answer phone or take work if I needed to. Totally acceptable IMO and something all of us do. Note, no work so the other girls were doing crosswords! Hardly leaving anyone in the lurch!

Anyway, this nurse turns to a colleague and says 'does X always do this?' Colleague had no idea what she was talking about so just looks blank and said no.

Nurse walks over to me and tells me to get off my phone!

IMO, it's inappropriate for her to direct people to do that when she has no supervisory role over me. If she has issue, she should take that up with my manager. Also, I had arranged with colleagues to take a break.

Just overstepping boundaries, putting herself in position of authority when she shouldn't be b

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would consider talking to the person who is managing the unit about only select issues such as her trying to assume responsibility for rostering. Perhaps they will be able to address this with her which may send a message about other things.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

MamaNurture  (13-09-2013),Rice  (13-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't think taking personal phone calls at work/the desk is ok. That being said it does sound like the nurse is a bossy boots and things need to be nipped in the bud.

If I were you I would chat to my manager and ask if job descriptions has been changed since the nurse was employed. Because she was telling people what to do and it was confusing people/ the chain of command. Your manager will either tell you to listen to the nurse, or help tell the nurse to back off.

Good luck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

MamaNurture  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would write down in detail every incident where she has acted inappropriately (dates, times, what was said, etc) and then present it to the manager in some way (either you tell her using your notes as a prompt or give her the notes). At least that way you can get some feedback on a. whether management are going to do anything about it and b. if there is anything they recommend for you and other staff to do.

For the record I don't think taking a personal call at your desk is a problem (depending on circumstances of course). I do it all the time, as do many people I work with.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

MamaNurture  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys.

VP, I will in future duck outside for my private calls. All other staff take private calls frequently at their desk, many times a day.

It's more that it's not hers to be telling people what to do! I don't want it to spiral out of control like last time.

It's hard. We need to say something so it doesn't escalate. Our manager is very weak too, and I doubt she will do anything. But her manager has been involved in the whole issue last time and is aware of the staffs concerns, and says to come to her with any problems. It's very complicated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double post- sorry

Me 27 + Him 28 =
    DD- 20.7.2012
    #2 due 1.2.2014
    6 angels loved and missed.
    Last edited by rach85; 14-09-2013 at 11:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your manager's manager said go to her with any issues- I'd go to her asap! Especially while your direct manager is away and she has also told you to go to her manager for anything. Tell her what is going on and tell her bluntly that you are terrified of what happened last time happening again. If that manager is worth her salt, she'll nip it in the bud because a happy workplace is a productive one. The sh1t hitting the fan like it did before just leads to normal business being affected

Huge hugs to you- I've been in a horrible workplace situation in the past. There is honestly nothing worse

Me 27 + Him 28 =
    DD- 20.7.2012
    #2 due 1.2.2014
    6 angels loved and missed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rach85 For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (28-09-2013)