+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    976
    Thanks
    262
    Thanked
    298
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default How much for 1 room to be added eg extension (APPROX)

    So we are thinking of adding one room onto our place (bedroom). I am curious to get a vague idea how much this may cost although I realise this is a totally difficult question to answer as there are many variants. like 30 grand, 50, 70 or more? Thanks!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,698
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,288
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We did a second storey. It's got 3 bedrooms and a bathroom, plus 19 steps and a few other bits and all up, it was $173.5k

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    acerbaby  (12-09-2013)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    976
    Thanks
    262
    Thanked
    298
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    We did a second storey. It's got 3 bedrooms and a bathroom, plus 19 steps and a few other bits and all up, it was $173.5k
    Interesting.
    We could really just move to a bigger place but I LOVE my place.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Jerilderie
    Posts
    1,050
    Thanks
    487
    Thanked
    519
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lots of variables. Depends on your existing structure, access and the finish you require

    I have done some for as little as $15 000. That one was 10 years ago.

    Post some pics of where and what you want and I might be able to give a closer guesstimation. $30, 000 is probably a good start.


    Dave The Turning Cowboy

    turning wood into art

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

    acerbaby  (12-09-2013)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    976
    Thanks
    262
    Thanked
    298
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    Lots of variables. Depends on your existing structure, access and the finish you require

    I have done some for as little as $15 000. That one was 10 years ago.

    Post some pics of where and what you want and I might be able to give a closer guesstimation. $30, 000 is probably a good start.


    Dave The Turning Cowboy

    turning wood into art
    Thanks! to be honest, where is a good question. We have a few options. Should we be starting with a builder or architect?

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,698
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,288
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    Can I ask if you are in sydney and did you do owner builder ?

    Yes fat lazy fingers did write this =)
    Yes in Sydney. Do you mean did we do it? If so, no.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    965
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    234
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are extending at the moment we are getting our plans done by a draftsman then the builder can do the quote. What size/type of room are you looking at doing

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Jerilderie
    Posts
    1,050
    Thanks
    487
    Thanked
    519
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You will ultimately need some plans unless you are closing in a veranda or porch then you may get away without it.

    You can call some builders to come around and they may give some ideas that you can sketch.

    If you have a floor plan and some photos of the area I could give you some ideas.

    I would not go to a draftsman or architec till you have a good idea what you want. Many builders have their own go that they use which can be an advantage.

    Are you going to try and do any yourself or will it all be by a builder.


    Dave The Turning Cowboy

    turning wood into art

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    976
    Thanks
    262
    Thanked
    298
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    You will ultimately need some plans unless you are closing in a veranda or porch then you may get away without it.

    You can call some builders to come around and they may give some ideas that you can sketch.

    If you have a floor plan and some photos of the area I could give you some ideas.

    I would not go to a draftsman or architec till you have a good idea what you want. Many builders have their own go that they use which can be an advantage.

    Are you going to try and do any yourself or will it all be by a builder.


    Dave The Turning Cowboy

    turning wood into art
    Thanks! But which service/professional would be able to tell us the options? We have lots of different places where the room could go but need someone with the vision to throw ideas at us (not the other way round). We are obviously not creative!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Jerilderie
    Posts
    1,050
    Thanks
    487
    Thanked
    519
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A designer is good. If you have a friend in the building industry that can help. They should be full of ideas. If you emailed me a copy of your current floor plan and a site plan (where your house sits on the block) I could give you a number of starter ideas I am sure.

    I have my own drawing soft ware and will often draw things up for clients etc.


    Dave The Turning Cowboy

    turning wood into art


 

Similar Threads

  1. Approx cost top story extension, 1 bedroom.
    By 2BlueBirds in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-01-2013, 21:27
  2. moving from bassinet in our room into a cot in her room
    By strawberry swing in forum Babies (3 - 6 months)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 22:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Mother and Baby Shop
Save $$$ during our Christmas Sale Mother and Baby Shop
Great prices on Schoenhut kids pianos, toys, baby clothing as well as big brands like Pigeon, NUK, Cherub Baby and many more. Sale starts on 1 November 2016 and ends on the 27 December 2016. Hurry! Place your order today!
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!