+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Student midwife!

Hello ladies,

Am a complete novice when it comes to Bub Hub so hoping I'm posting this in the right place!

Before I even start, may I just say congratulations on your pregnancies! May it be your first or you've been through it all before- I'm sure you're all excited to be on this journey!

A little bit about me to start off: My name is Jess and I'm super passionate about midwifery, and can't wait to finally call myself a 'registered midwife'. I'm currently undertaking a double degree at Monash University- Bachelor of Nursing and Bachelor of Midwifery and am currently at the end of my first year. I'd like to say I'm fun, caring, respectful, open and love to engage with people, but I am extremely serious and professional when need be.

As you may have already figured, I am a student midwife from Monash University (nearly finished my first year of university) and am looking for some lovely pregnant ladies who wouldn't mind me 'following' them throughout their pregnancy.

At uni, we call this 'continuity of care (COC) partnerships'...maybe you've had a student midwife before, or heard of it, but for those who are asking the question, ''what is that?/what does it mean?!'', I'll give you a run down!

Each midwifery student is required to have 20 COC's in order to be registered. We follow the woman through her pregnancy, birth and then post-birth. May I just say though, that the 'birth' is absolutely optional, and in no way will I ever force you to let me in. Don't get me wrong though- it would be an absolute pleasure to support you through your birth, so if you were willing, I'd be happy to be there!

For each of the individual 20 women, we must support them through approx. 20 hours. To achieve this, we would attend your antenatal appts, glucose tests, ultrasound scans (again optional, as I know most like their partners or other family members to attend!), and birthing classes. Then when baby comes, I can be there for the birth, along with your special person/people of choice, if you'd wish. My role here is to observe as well as do anything, within my scope of practice (and insurance policies of the hospital/birth centre etc!!) that you need. Post-birth, we are there for you 6 weeks post-delivery and will attend any appts that you'd like us to be there for (most importantly, the 6 week check up for bubs). In saying this, we would never take over your pregnancy experience, birth, or post-birth by trying to take control- this is not our role. We are merely here to observe and support and in no way take over your healthcare/medical professional's, partner and/or families job!

My report containing the experiences with each woman are confidential and non identifiable- you're given a 'false' name to protect your identity, are given a consent form to sign, and all of the appts, birth etc, are signed off in order to prove I was there, as well as what I did.

Now the 'formalities' have been said, it would be wise of me to say where I am actually from in case you're interested! I'm located along the Mornington Peninsula of Melbourne, Victoria. I'd be willing to travel up to an hour for appts. but, if you are over 25+ weeks, I unfortunately won't be able to follow you as it's important to me to get to know you, as well as the fact my university has given me this 'limit'. I've already followed through with two awesome mums & the feedback from them has been great! We didn't know each other at first, but throughout the appts. we got to know each other and it ended up being a great experience for both the mums and I.

If you're at all interested- please email me via jessiee.d@hotmail.com, or comment on this post with any questions you may have and I will happily answer them.

Thank-you so much for taking the time to read this! Good luck with your pregnancies ladies & I look forward to possibly hearing from you

Jess

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    bumping for you

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseBetweenTheThorns For This Useful Post:

jessabelle81  (13-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank-you rosebetweenthethorns

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump
    I myself have a student midwife following my care journey and cannot recommend it enough.
    By sharing our journey with them enables them to get the additional experience they need to one day give another woman the expertise care we all expect

Its nice to give something back!
    Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshinebell For This Useful Post:

jessabelle81  (13-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshinebell View Post
    Bump
    I myself have a student midwife following my care journey and cannot recommend it enough.
    By sharing our journey with them enables them to get the additional experience they need to one day give another woman the expertise care we all expect

Its nice to give something back!
    Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    It's so lovely to hear your experience with a student midwife is a good one! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I'm not in a position to help, but I wanted to bump this thread and let other ladies know what a fantastic experience I had with a student midwife throughout my pregnancy. She was a wonderful support, and I can't imagine making it through DS's birth without her.

Please think about letting a student midwife follow your pregnancy- it's a great experience for you both!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    Sorry, I'm not in a position to help, but I wanted to bump this thread and let other ladies know what a fantastic experience I had with a student midwife throughout my pregnancy. She was a wonderful support, and I can't imagine making it through DS's birth without her.

Please think about letting a student midwife follow your pregnancy- it's a great experience for you both!
    Thank-you for your support!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump!

If you're located in Melbourne suburbs and pregnant (up to 24wks) or TTC and are interested in having a student midwife follow you, feel free to let me know and we can discuss further!

And for mummas who have had a student midwife follow them, please feel free to share your story (good or bad)! I'd love to hear and learn from your experiences ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump ☺️