+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Vaccinating prem babies?

Hi all

My DD was born early this week at 35w and I'm just wondering, does this cause any dramas when it comes to vaccinating her on time?

A midwife here told me to hold off on the hep b shot in hospital and even though she didn't say it in so many words it sounded like it was because DD was small?

She was 5lbs3oz when born which is pretty decent and has had no issues this far. Can I vaccinate on time? Its something that's really important to me and I'd never really thought about something coming up that could get in the way of that.

Not seeing my pediatrician until tomorrow, and I'll of course discuss with him. Just wanted to get some ideas here first

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations!!

You can vaccinate straight away, my boys were born at 32 weeks and were vaccinated at the normal 6 weeks (essentially 38 weeks). There is no need to wait until they are at thier corrected age

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My last son was born at 35 weeks aswell was 5lb 9 oz. He had his hospital immunisations, but i then delayed the rest by 1 month, no real reason other then my own preference but there is no reason for you to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had a 35weeker and a 25weeker. My 35weeker got her hep b shot in hospital and was vac according to real age. My 25 weeker didn't get hep b at birth due to being only 754g at birth but all other shots were done on time with age and was given booster hep b at a later date to catch up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was born at 36 weeks and was 2.4kg so on the small side. She had her first shots no problem but after that I always held off for 2 or 4 weeks or till she had reached a certain weight (median weight for her age).
    I wasn't told to do that and I'm probably going to sound like a nut but my reasoning is that the vaccines dosage (especially the ones with multiple agents) might be too much for a younger or underweight child.
    thats just my crazy thought and I did vaccinate her, I just waited till she was a little bigger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my DD was 34 weeks and 5lbs 15 oz and was immunized as per normal, i didnt even think not to do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats! DS2 was born in June at 34 weeks he was 1580g and has been a slow gainer. We delayed his 6 week vax because of size. I am very pro vax but have concerns with the huge immune response that vax mounts (particularly combined vax) in a little man that is struggling to hit 3kg. Paed and GP are on board with this. It's a decision that I stress about heaps

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was born at 28w and DS at 30. Both have had their vacs at their actual age and both were very low birth weight (and are still tiny). Neither have had any reactions. DD had her 18month shot yesterday and DS had his 4 months (1 week early). They are fine.

But with all vaccinations, it's your personal decision. GL!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 25 weeker had her first at 8 weeks actual age, so corrected age of only 33 weeks gestation and she weighed about 1.5kg. Same dose as any other baby and handled it fine.

She didn't have hep b at birth due to size, but we were advised there was no need for a catch up as she had it at 2, 4 and 6 months. The immunisation handbook has some very detailed information (refer first paragraph under heading Neonates, children and young adults " If an infant did not receive the birth dose within the 1st 7 days of life, catch-up of that dose is not necessary. Such infants then only require 3 doses of a hepatitis B-containing combination vaccine, given at 2, 4 and 6 months of age. ")

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD born at 31 weeks (1.6kgs) has had all her vaccinations on time. We didn't do corrected age.