Closed Thread
Page 5 of 94 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal4431 View Post
    Alice, I keep forgetting to ask you, is there any consult with a doctor before I go or is like SA in that I'll see the doctor when I get there?
    Yep, you see the doctor when you get there. The day before retrieval you will have an appointment with the doctor who will go through your history with you and check your lining to make sure they don't need to change your meds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Alice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Crystal, how lucky are we to have Alice!!! Alice you are a star for helping us, and inspiring us too.

You know something I am secretly a bit scared of. Alice don't take this the wrong way - you are a lot younger than me!! What happens if...well...if twins happens? I find having one three year old I am pretty much exhausted at the end of the day. Could I survive it? But because ZLin is so far away, I feel realistically that there isn't a choice. In Eva's letter she wrote that with FETS there is a 35% success rate, which is a lot less than their fresh success rate. so I sort of feel if I go all that way...I know I would be blessed and lucky beyond lucky to get pg again, but I am scared...but then my darling godmother said Tiggylig you can manage it whatever happens, it will another person to love. Sorry if my post offends in anyway. It isn't intended to. Just a bit nervous...Still, there are other ladies my age who have trodden the path before me - all super rich and famous!

Hope you ladies are enjoying your evening. xxx
    Last edited by Tiggylig; 05-10-2013 at 08:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We transfered 2 embryos so we knew full well what we were getting ourselves in for. We were only going to transfer one but when we only had two embryos we just decided to go for it thinking it wouldn't happen! Because we are young we thought it would be ok and my pregnancy was pretty straightforward until the end when I got pre-eclampsia. We also knew that we wanted and were able to care for two. I'm not going to lie, it's hard work but we love them!

On a side note, it really irks me when I'm out and people make the comment 'instant family'! I know they don't know the backstory but sometimes I think to myself, 'yes, if you consider 6 years instant!'

The clinic started using vitrification in the last year or two; I'm not sure of the exact start time. However the general consensus amongst frozen stats at the current time is that they are based on the older freezing method as vitrification does give higher stats. So as more vitrification frosties are used the stats should improve.

Interestingly my Ob said to us before we go that transferring two embryos only increases your chance of pregnancy by 5% however he understood that because we were going so far and to so much effort and cost then he could understand why we would.

As long as you are prepared then there's no reason why you can't look after two babies. Also, your three year old will be older and probably keen to help out as much as they are able!

And don't worry, I'm not offended one single bit. I think it's natural to be nervous about the possibility of a multiple birth!
    Just do whatever is right for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah that makes sense, Alice, about the older stats. I will keep that in mind beacuse I know that MElb IVf have really good outcomes with FETS (including ours!)

I can imagine how irritating that comment - 'instant family' must be - your signature makes it clear that it was a challenging road to a family of your own. Well done Alice.

I am sorry to hear about the pre-eclampsia, but glad it worked out ok (more than ok!).

You know, I had two embryos put back when I got pg with my son, and the second one nearly took. I would have been thrilled!

Maybe some of these thoughts have to do with the fact that DS and me have just come through a really long sting of sickness. Colds on top of colds on top of ear infections on top of fevers etc. He goes to child care and brings it home to me! I have had four colds OMG in about three months. I have never known anything like it! So I am bit worn down by it. And all the while through blowing my nose and administering Panadol and anti-b's to DS and getting to the doctor and feeling like crap I have been madly planning FOR MORE BABIES. You can see why I wondering if I am nuts! Today we got to thinking that even though we will be so close to Poland for the week in Zlin, we will stay close to the clinic until retrieval. Imagine getting held back by snowy road blocks and not making it back in time for the embryos. OMG!!!! Nightmare!

Anyway, no more raving from Tiggylig. Time for sleep because it's zoo in the morning. Alice if I see a young lady with stunning boy/girl twins I will think it might be you x Tiggylig
    Last edited by Tiggylig; 05-10-2013 at 08:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone. I just wrote a long post that disappeared! Don't you hate that! My date for flying to CZ is jan 27th. Hope I can meet some of you guys I'm there for 9 days. I was with MIVF for all my cycles except the last one which was with Genea in Sydney. I still have a frostie there. Loved Genea but not happy with MIVF. They refused to try anything different.

I haven't seen the pre virtual visit form does Eva send it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good morning lovely ladies

I think we are very lucky to have Alice

Tiggylig, I have two other kids a 17 year old daughter and a 15 almost 16 year old son, I have just turned 39 a few weeks ago. I too wonder if I've lost my mind wanting another when mine are so close to being adults..haha I would love to go to Poland someday, it looks gorgeous

Alice, the doctor in Cape Town told us with putting 2 back we would have a 20-30% chance of having twins but as you said only a 5% increase of a pregnancy.

Ok girls I need some advice, Eva emailed back about dates last night She wants us there for a retrieval on January 23rd which is totally fine. We were going to leave on the 28th however she said that would give two 4 day embies to transfer back. We can stay an extra day, the only reason we were looking at travelling on the 28th was for DH to be able to re adjust before he would go back to work on the Monday. Is there a success rate difference between 4 and 5 days? my gut tells me to stay the extra day, any opinions?

We were also looking at stopping in to London on the way so I think we may still do that because we can leave here on the 16th so a few days in London and we can be in Zlin a few days before the retrieval.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to crystal4431 For This Useful Post:

Chillout71  (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry we plan on leaving for home from Zlin on January 28th

Thanks
    Reviews
    Crystal without really knowing medically why I am saying this, I reckon stay the extra day. Anything, anyhting at all in this universe that might help is a good thing, especially since we are travelling so far. If the doctors prefer 5 days I would stay. YOur dh can adjust later, or be a bit maladjusted for the week, it'ss till worth it. That's Tiggylig's two cents worth! xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does your DH do a job that might be dangerous if he's sleepy, like drive a truck/forklift/ or other manual type jobs?
    On our last trip over we arrived home on Sunday morning and my DH went to work on Monday morning. He just sits at a desk though. He was tired but adjusted after a few days.
    ETA: I went to work on the Monday too, how funny that I forgot! I didn't lose any kids (I'm a teacher) and no one died, that I'm aware of anyway! Books can be dangerous!

Usually on my way over to Europe I take some over the counter sleeping tablets called Restavit. I don't take them on the way home for obvious reasons but my DH did so that he slept a bit.

I don't have scientific basing, just my own thoughts between a 4 and 5 day transfer. I would 'think' the difference might be perhaps one or two less embryos as they might arrest/stop growing in that 24 hour period. However you would think that any embryos that were going to arrest in that extra 24 hour period would be a low grade embryo, which they wouldn't transfer anyway. Having said that, I'm not a doctor or embryologist!

I think it's important that you have those few days in London. My DH and I have done this each time we travelled (not always London) as that way if the cycle didn't work we also had a bit of a holiday so it didn't seem like we'd been all that way for nothing.
    Last edited by Alice284; 25-09-2013 at 15:44.