Closed Thread
Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Alice. Yes going for a walk at 1 am is not really a strategy you can use! Hopefully she'll start settling longer soon. It probably feels hardly worth going to sleep knowing she'll be awake at 1!

We've been speaking with Eva, we haven't spoken with anyone else as yet. We've booked at the Tomasov just to be sure as they don't have a lot of rooms. Now I have 4 months to get myself super healthy. Did you do anything to prepare that you feel helped with your success?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Eva is so lovely! I found her pretty funny too! I'm so excited for you starting out on this journey!

Zlin has some hills, it's not like mountain climbing or anything but having a good level of fitness will help if you want to go for a walk as from Tomasov to town it's down a bit of a hill and then you need to walk back up, unless you call a taxi.
    For myself I wanted to make sure I had a good level of fitness as I knew that if I did get pregnant it wouldn't be long until I wasn't able to do much. So essentially I tried to do as much as possible fitness and body wise before I got pregnant so that I would hopefully have an easier time regaining fitness and my body after birth, which has been successful so far.

I had done regular pilates classes twice a week but in preparation I just tried to go for a walk/jog for about 30mins a day to increase cardiovascular fitness and I also worked with a PT once a week for 4 weeks before we left to make sure I had a good level of fitness. I don't feel that's really necessary for everyone because that was my personal choice however I would recommend some daily walking as Zlin, like most Euro cities is compact so walking everywhere is easy!

I've probably made it sound really scary so I found a photo:
    https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/65722875

To the right, the big green strip, goes up the hill towards the clinic. The ski slope is behind the building you can see at the top of the green strip of grass. The modern building is an arts/theatre building, part of the uni.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Alice, yes I have found out that I have immune issues that were preventing pregnancy, MTHFR gene mutation and elevated natural killer cells so I have a doctor in Sydney that will be taking care of that side of things If you don't mind me asking I noticed in the email I received that certain things are done on certain days in the clinic, should I be looking at a particular day of the week to arrive?Also how many days did you need to stay? Thank you for all of that touristy info I was a little worried we'd be bored but that sounds lovely.

Kheeki, No real particular reason for not going back to Cape Town, it was a wonderful clinic and they treated us well. I probably prefer the clinic in Zlin because the option of PICSI is there and the embryoscope It also seems very organised and yeah I'd like to see snow again We're looking at going around Jan 16th how about you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Alice can I ask you a question? Your posts are really helping me; thank you for sharing your story. We are going to Zlin too! I just wanted to know how long after transferral you travelled home. The next day? I am sure I will feel anxious about the long flight...Tiggylig

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Crystal, having a good doctor here who supports your overseas cycle makes all the difference doesn't it! I know the clinic in Zlin also does intralipids for people who have immune issues. I don't know anything about it or who it's best for though, maybe someone else reading this might be interested to know.

From memory the initial appointment and lining check is on a Wednesday, I think. If it was on a Wednesday then the first time we traveled we arrived in Zlin on the Monday to kind of settle in and orientate ourselves. The second time we went we arrived on the Tuesday as we knew where we were going etc. If you are travelling in winter I recommend leaving a day between your arrival and your first appointment as I have heard of people being delayed by heavy snowfalls that have blocked rail lines and roads. I imagine that would be pretty stressful!

In 2012 we we there over Easter, which is a great time to travel to Europe and especially the CZ as they have huge Easter markets and different traditions which are really interesting, the same at Christmas. Anyhow we went to Prague and were there on Easter Sunday and it was snowing, just lightly and it melted when it hit the ground but it was beautiful! Plus, you can say you've been to the snow in Europe!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Tiggylig, how exciting! I hope it works out for you. The clinic recommend that you rest and stay as horizontal as possible for the next 24 hours. The day after transfer I have always just spent the day in bed napping, watching tv etc and then we have travelled the day after this. You should also avoid heavy lifting. Don't feel anxious, after my last cycle which was a success we went to England and travelled around for 2 weeks. I did take it a little easier than normal but I still walked plenty!
    It is a long flight but just remember to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. It's a great chance to sleep too! I'm terrible on long flights, as soon as I get on the plane I just want to be there, I'm so impatient!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Alice

Thank you for that. I do feel very excited. And really good about Zlin. We will be taking our three-year-old son on the trip with us, which will be interesting! But I like what you said about the ski slope and the zoo - that could be a godsend!

I just get paranoid that flight will somehow compromise my embies - or is that just nuts when it's so early in the peace?

Alice I am in Melbourne too!

Thank you again x Tiggylig
    Last edited by Tiggylig; 05-10-2013 at 08:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't feel too anxious about flying whilst in very early pregnancy Tiggylig. Plenty of people do it and have no problems. I did and I have twins now and there are heaps of stories of women on this board who have gone overseas for their IVF and had successful pregnancies! If anything I think it's probably a good thing because it forces you to sit down and take it easy!

Even if your travel gets delayed you can just ring the clinic and let them know and they'll figure it out. I know of people who had their first appointment on the day of the donor retrieval / man day.

Kids love the zoo! In the winter the best place in the zoo is this kind of hot glass house building that is meant to be like a South American rainforest. It has some birds and little monkeys and form memory I think there was a sloth in there too!

A good tip would be to take a laptop with some of his favourite kids tv shows on it. I know Pension Uno has a good stack of kids toys and I'd say Tomasov does too. Pension Uno has an apartment which I've been told is convenient for stays when travelling with kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Alice you are helping so much. Thank you times a hundred, especially when you must be busy with those gorgeous twins.

I am going to get a Pap Smear test before I go, even though I don't think the clinic asks for them, our clinic here always did. Then of course the blood tests.

Again, thank you! Tiggylig x
    Last edited by Tiggylig; 05-10-2013 at 08:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Tiggylig, you are very welcome! I do get moments of peace when I can jump on here and write!
    I just feel it is so important for this topic to operate on an Australian forum because the way we do things in Australia is different. There are some other resources out there for the Czech Republic but so many are by Americans for Americans and I know that when I was trying to organise my trip it would have been great to talk to more Australians. There are lots of Aussies that go to the CZ so I thought it would be nice to have a place for us to talk and share and offer support etc!

I'm excited for you, and for everyone else going! It's making me want to go, not for more babies but just because it's so great there! I have always wanted to go to Ireland, how exciting. I'm sure you will get a donor who looks just like you. People continually comment about how they think my twins look so much like me. I have a little chuckle on the inside!

I had a Pap smear before I went too but that's because I was due for one. I took a copy of the result with me and told Ivona. She just asked if it was all good, which it was, so she didn't need to see the paperwork.

You are very welcome again! Please feel free to ask any questions. I'm soooo happy to answer and to help others who are in a similar situation to DH and I. We know what it's like and this can be such a scary but oh so rewarding adventure!