Closed Thread
Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kheeki

We made the decision based on a few factors. All the clinics offered pretty much the same services so it came down to a few variables.

Firstly price: cycles in Prague were more expensive, accommodation in Prague was more expensive, food in Prague was more expensive, things to do in Prague were more expensive, so generally you get the idea.

Secondly atmosphere and relaxation: Cycles don't work, apparently, if you are stressed out. I have a penchant for not stopping and find it hard to relax and wind down. I kind of thrive on stress and being busy. We knew if we were in Prague that I would not be able to stop myself from going out and being busy which might not have been good. Zlin has a slower pace and is generally a lot more relaxing, the town has things to do but it's not so hectic and that suited us. We had been to Prague before and based our decision on that. We like Prague for a day or two but not weeks.

We also considered the wait time and if the clinic could schedule us when we were able to travel.

Lastly, we contacted a few clinics and you really need to go with your gut. Who do you find you are connecting with or feel comfortable or happy talking to? I got a fast response from Zlin compared to some other clinics and I also found some others far less personal. Everyone is different and it's such a big thing that you are doing so you really need to use your instinct and go where you feel suits you best!

I hope that helps

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice284 For This Useful Post:

Chillout71  (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jo-anne.36 View Post
    hi Allison I just sent a email to the clinic to see if they do embryos and can have them ship to aust jojo
    Actually Jojo I was just thinking that whilst they do have donor embryos, donation is anonymous. If you want to import embryos/egg/sperm in to Australia they must comply with Australian laws which specify known donors. I don't think you would get them into this country.
    Have you considered perhaps going overseas? If you use donor embryos only yourself would need to go, it would be a short stay, especially as I think most are frozen embryos.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think in addition to only being able to use known donors in Australia, there are also quarantine issues with international embryos. Not sure of the specifics.

I'm feeling more connected with the Zlin clinic than Prague. Also the Prague one requires 4-6 months after initial consult which seems a long time. Alice, how did you find the travel from Prague to Zlin, it's a long way? And, did you go straight there after flying in or did you stay in Prague overnight?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kheeki
    The first time we went we flew in to Vienna and spent a few days there to have a bit of a holiday. We got the clinic to pick us up, they can organise transfers and the drivers are really nice. We had a driver named Paul 3 out of the 4 time we used the service. He speaks pretty good English and is really friendly. From memory the drive was about 2.5 maybe 3 hours. The second time we went we got picked up straight from the airport. It is much the same distance from Vienna and Prague.

I enjoyed the drive as it gave us a chance to see some of the countryside. We drove through the old border crossing and through old tiny rural villages (a section of the highway was closed that time) and it was just so interesting, like something from a WW1 or 2 movie. You just don't get that in Australia!

You can get a train or a bus however we chose not to as catching public transport with my DH can on occasion be stressful as he's a bit of a stress head and I wanted to be as relaxed as possible!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I was thinking that the drive through the countryside would be amazing. We have been looking at the hotel located at the clinic which is priced well and obviously convenient. They organise transfers. I looked at bus and train option but I agree with you, it is far less stressful to get picked up direct at the airport and driven straight to Zlin. Any thoughts on staying at the hotel at the clinic?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've heard from many people who've been really happy staying at Tomasov. They have said one of the advantages have been that straight after transfer they just wheel you back to your room and you can get in to bed. I've also heard the food at the restaurant there is nice. It is fairly modern, it's been there for a bit less than 18 months. It's roughly the same walking distance to the town centre from both Tomasov and Uno, except they are on opposite sides of the town. Zlin is kind of like a valley with the town centre in the middle or deepest part and then the suburbs going up the sides of the hills. We walked everywhere, except after transfer when we were driven.

We chose Uno as we got a room with a kitchenette and went to the supermarket and prepared most of our own dinners. I have food allergies so find it easier doing this. Also, the supermarkets are really interesting! Having said that, the restaurant at the Uno is fantastic!. They also have English tv channels, I'm not sure if Tomasov has this. If it's snowing then tv might be handy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies,

I've just emailed the Zlin and Prague clinics to get more information, we would be going in January 2014 which is not my preferred time of year but its the only time DH can get off. We've just had a donor egg cycle in cape town which was a BFN.

Is there much to see and do in Zlin?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think in January there's probably a fair chance of snow! I love skiing though. Not sure if it's a great time to go but we need until then to save the money and also airfares are cheaper at that time. Yes Tomasov has tv. The rooms look nice and new. And I looked at the restaurant menu (critical for making the decision!) and it looks lovely. I can't believe how cheap the meals are! Did you find that?

What state are you from Alice? How are you and the twins doing? Do you want more children or is the family complete now?

Hi Crystal. Sorry to hear about your last cycle. It sucks but even harder travelling so far I would think. Why aren't you going back to SA? I'm pretty much all booked for Zlin and very excited. I found Zlin feels like a better fit for me than Prague. Meet you in Zlin in January!!
    Last edited by Kheeki; 19-09-2013 at 13:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Crystal, sorry to hear about your cycle in Cape Town. Have your doctors said why they think it didn't work? I hope the Czech Republic will be as lucky for you as it was for us!
    In Zlin in January, Kheeki is right, it will probably be snowing. They have a little ski slope with a magic carpet that is literally 500 metres from the clinic. They have tubes and toboggans if you don't like skiing!
    There is a great zoo in Zlin, it's just out of town but you can get a taxi or bus, which are very cheap. There is a beautiful old chateau in the grounds of the zoo which you can go into as well.
    There is a cinema with English speaking movies if you feel like a few hours inside. There are 2 small shopping centres, one next to town square and one just over the other side of the little river. Zlin is also the home of Bata shoes and they have a big shop there.
    There is also a shoe museum, a car museum and a range of other museums. I will put the link to these on page 1.

On the weekend between retrieval and transfer we always caught the train to Prague for the weekend and walked around the city, did some sightseeing and also did some shopping. We found this was enough time in Prague for us as really we never 'did' anything apart from looking at things and walking.

Zlin also gives you access to the smaller towns in and around Moravia, which is kind of like one of the states or regions of the Czech Republic. There are lots of castles and beautiful historic places.

Lots of tourist type attractions all over Europe actually close during the winter months so it's worth checking before you decide to go anywhere.

If you are going in winter my best piece of advice would be layers that can be easily removed as it's cold outside but when you go into a building its like you've just arrived in Hawaii - their heating bills must be huge! Also their winter clothes for serious winter weather are so much better and cheaper than what you can buy in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kheeki, I'm so excited for you, I hope this cycle will be it!

Yes, the food is such a good price in Zlin and it's always yummy! If you want to go to a restaurant in town there's one called Tam Tam at the top of the Golden Apple shopping centre. They have English menus. It's not the greatest gourmet meal you will have in your life but it's not bad either. There are also some nice pizza restaurants near the river where the road goes under the train line.

The twins are going well, they have a good schedule that we try to stick to. We are hoping they stay that way for a while but our little girl has decided she doesn't much like sleeping in the last few days, unless of course you put her in the pram and go for a walk, which isn't possible at 1am!

We have some frosties in Zlin still. I just transferred some money to extend their storage actually. We don't know if we will go back for them just yet so extended storage to give us some more time to decide. We think though that our twins might be it as I had really severe pre-eclampsia which I'm at high risk of getting again if I were to have another.

I'm so excited for you and I hope you enjoy Zlin as much as we did. Have you been in contact with Ivona? She's great, actually they are all great. We've met Eva (prn Ava) too, she held my hand during our last transfer, she's so lovely.