Closed Thread
Page 1 of 94 1231151 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Alice - your new thread is perfect timing. I have just started considering egg donor IVF and am strongly considering the Czech Republic. So far I have only looked at Gennet in Prague. One thing that concerned me is their website states you have to attend an initial appointment but surely this can occur over Skype or the like. Did you only have to go for the transfer? We're you able to use your DHs sperm and did you do fresh or frozen sperm? Would you mind letting me know the name of the clinic you used? What process for selecting a donor did they use? Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kheeki

I'm more than happy to answer your questions

Firstly, we went to the Clinic of Reproductive Medicine (CRM) in Zlin. Here is the website. We loved this clinic and also Zlin. Zlin is a University town about 2-3 hours from Prague or Vienna and is easily accessed by train, bus or the clinic offers private transfers for a reasonable price which we used on both trips.

When we organised our cycle we made initial contact with the clinic via email. They have an international patient coordinator who we were in contact with; she speaks perfect English. When we decided to go ahead and book a cycle we were sent some paper work with a whole bunch of tests that we needed the results for. Having done two IVF cycles in Australia we had the results of these tests already which made that easy. Then we were sent a questionnaire regarding a donor and asked to list the criteria that we wanted in a donor so they could select someone that matched from their database. This is what some people struggle with as they want to choose and have a photo listing and profile etc however I was happy to hand that process over as I didn't want to choose. We are able to access some basic and medical info about our donor if we want to and we may later on if our children want to. Donation is anonymous though so you will never get a name or any identifying info.

We were not required to have an initial appointment however if we wanted to speak to the clinic they are available to Skype and I did ring the coordinator to ask a few questions over the phone. They sent my medication for the cycle to me and then I purchased what I needed post transfer at the clinic pharmacy. I never had any problems carrying meds through customs. I always declared my meds but they never wanted to see them.

The first time we went to the clinic and met the doctor and coordinator was the day before the donor egg retrieval where they had a chat, went through our history with us and checked my lining.

We used DH's sperm, the use ICSI which we needed, and we were even able to freeze some sperm. This was handy if we wanted to return for another fresh cycle as it meant that only I needed to return. We have frozen embryos, they use vitrification which is the most up to date storage method. The clinics in Australia use vitrification and it is resulting is higher success levels of frozen embryo transfers. You get 1 year of embryo storage included in your IVF cycle and then you can extend it (e.g. 120 Euro for 2 years).

We also looked at clinics in Prague and also Brno however we chose Zlin as the cost of the cycle was less than in Prague and also the cost of accommodation and doing things was less than in Prague. Prague is a touristy city so things tend to be more expensive. Zlin was such a relaxing place to be and there are interesting things to see and do in and around town. Most people stay at a place called Pension Uno, which is a B&B and the owners are possibly the kindest people you will ever meet! They know why you are in Zlin and take extra special care of you. They will even drive you to and from the clinic although we walked most of the time.

I could talk forever about how great Zlin is!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice284 For This Useful Post:

Chillout71  (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hello Allison do you know if they do donor embryos and can they be ship to Sydney thanks jojo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you Alice. I still have a FET to do which I will do before the end of the year but don't feel it's worth the time and money to try another stim. Even though I always get lots of eggs and good fertilisation I think my age means they are no good. We need to do ICSI also given sperm issues. You can see by my signature we've also had a lot of attempts and have all the tests already that they would require. You are young can I ask why you needed donor eggs? From what I have read the Czech laws would prevent single people or same sex? I just add that for others reading this thread.

I am also fine with their process of donor selection. I think characteristics should be enough plus medical history and of course Czech women (gross generalisation) are gorgeous!

Did you tell many people in your life what you were doing? I have only told my parents but i would think if it us successful you have to think about the future and telling others? My DH has no problem with us going down this path if it makes me happy. I'm not sure how he would feel if we needed donor sperm as well. Did you confront that issue? My husband has a child from an earlier relationship. But, he was shocked when his tests came back that he was a part of our infertility issue.

Also, did you need Ultrasounds in AUS before going were you on meds prior or natural? With the customs issues is it prog support after or did you have to take stuff over. I am in Melb but go to a Syd clinic so already get my US and meds organised outside if the actual clinic.
    Last edited by Kheeki; 13-09-2013 at 19:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jo-anne.36 View Post
    hello Allison do you know if they do donor embryos and can they be ship to Sydney thanks jojo
    Hi! Yes they do have donor embryos however I'm not sure if they will ship them. It would be worth sending them an email and asking if you are interested.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice284 For This Useful Post:

jo-anne.36  (16-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kheeki, on my two cycles in Australia I always ended up with about a dozen eggs. They would fertilise but none would ever make it to a transfer. They put it down to very poor egg quality.

Yes, Czech law inhibits single people or same sex couples. Having said that I have heard rumours of people who falsified a relationship so a woman could undertake a cycle with donor sperm. Not sure how true it is.

Czech women are pretty, Ivana Trump is actually from Zlin!

We told both of our parents and my best friend. Her child was born through a surrogate in India so we have lots of fertility issues in common and a kind of non-judgemental understanding. It's nice having that support as my parents don't really understand emotionally what we've been through. Apart from that we haven't told anyone. It's funny really as so many people I know all comment that my daughter looks exactly like me. I think it's a case of people seeing what they want, or as I said to my husband perhaps I just don't see it because I know.
    We got out children a storybook about egg donation and will read it to them and then when they increase their understanding it will have never been a secret to them. Then they can choose who they want to tell when they understand.
    If we had to use DS too then DH was prepared for that.

I had no ultrasounds here until I was pregnant of course. Part of my meds was taking an injection called Lupron about 6 weeks out that in a way shuts down your system so it can then be restarted so everyone lines up and everything happens at the right time for the transfer. I was carrying lots of progesterone home with me but customs didn't care.

Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Alice. The links you provided are great. The accommodation in Zlin even has IVF packages! My DH and I have actually decided today not to another FET but to focus on preparing for ED probably in January.

Did you get your twins from transferring 2? How wonderful that it worked and you have your family. I get very frustrated with the Australian legalities around IVF and having to travel so far away to get assistance. I am in Victoria where the laws are particularly crazy. Obviously made by people who have never been affected by infertility. On the plus side, a trip to CZ sounds like exactly what I need to look forward to! I've travelled through Europe but never to there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, the Pension gets pretty much all of its international visitors through people going to the clinic and they understand that and take care of you accordingly. It's run by such a lovely family and their son Martin speaks fluent English. There are usually other clinic patients, mostly American, staying there too so it's nice to have some people in a similar situation to chat to and sightsee with. We've made some good friends in Zlin!

It will be pretty cold in January, they actually have a mini ski slope up near the clinic, Svah Zlin! My DH has always wanted to use it but it's not been open when we were there.

Yes, we transferred two embryos. We weren't going to however when we made it to transfer and spoke to the embryologist we only had two good quality embryos. As it was going to be our last try and it hadn't worked yet we decided to transfer two and wouldn't you know both stuck and stayed and turned into our beautiful babies!

The laws here are really unsupportive, and I feel the same as you, they were made by people who never needed assistance with fertility! Both times we went we spent another week travelling a little so we also had a bit of a holiday. That way if the cycle didn't work we didn't feel like we'd wasted our money going all that way for just IVF. I love Vienna and Austria so we've flown in to there before and spent some time there. We've done weekend trips to Prague in-between retrieval and transfer and one couple we know hired a car and drove to Poland as they wanted to go to Auschwitz. The Czech Republic is an interesting place and Zlin has an interesting story!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Alice. I've had some comparison costs between Zlin and Prague and am wondering how to decide. Zlin is €4500 and Prague is €4900. Both seem to be inclusive of the same treatment and guarantee of 2 quality embryos for transfer if sperm is good. But, the clinic at Prague guarantee the 3rd cycle free if the sperm is good and you haven't had success. What are your thoughts and how did you decide between them? Thanks in advance x

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kheeki For This Useful Post:

Chillout71  (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hi Allison I just sent a email to the clinic to see if they do embryos and can have them ship to aust jojo