+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Longer day sleeps

I have 11 week old twins and I am having trouble getting bubs to sleep for longer than 40 min stints during the day. I put them in the cot and then after the first 40 min they won't re-settle unless they are moved to a rocker or picked up etc. I've tried patting them back to sleep but it only lasts another ten mins or so. Any ideas? No matter what I do I can't seem to extend day sleeps. Is this normal at 11 weeks (6 weeks corrrected)?
    By the way....night times are great so no complaints there!

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm quite sure that's normal. Dd is nearly 4 months and sometimes still only does one sleep cycle. How many naps are they having a day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are having about 4 naps a day. It is usually up to 45 mins in cot after fussing, then another half hour napping in rockers with help of dummies, rocking etc. I'm just concerned that it isn't solid blocks of sleep, it's pretty bitty. They self-settle perfectly at night but don't during the day. It gets worse as the day goes on and they won't sleep in cot later in the day so I try to take them for a walk in pram for late afternoon sleep. They sleep really well in the pram or car. I've tried keeping them awake for longer but then over tiredness kicks in. Nothing I do stretches the sleep or gets them in cot routine. Frustrating!

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We only had 40 min naps until about 12 months! Tried various techniques to extend which made us both miserable so stopped.

It's so hard and I can only imagine how hard it would be with two! But some babies just sleep less in the day than others, and its great that the nights are ok.

Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is soooo normal for little bubs to catnap. Both mine have been catnappers, sleeping for around 45 mins. I spent (wasted) so much time trying to resettle DS1 when he was a littlie and eventually gave up trying. He consitently slept longer when he went down to 1 day nap at around 10 months. DS2 has been a catnapper since birth and this time I haven't bothered trying to do anything about it. If he still seems tired when he wakes after 45 mins I feed back to sleep, otherwise if he's happy I get him up.

I think if your LO's resettle in a swing or can get a good chunk of sleep in the pram/ car just go with it. I think it's the overall amount of sleep they get in a day that's important. 1 thing that does sometimes work with DS2 is having white noise going - sometimes he will transition into a second sleep cycle himself if he has white noise on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say catnapping isn't the best for bubs, often leads to over tired babies and *can* (in a chunk of cases, not all though) be prevented. Some tips:
    - make sure bub is going to bed at the right time: too early can lead to cat napping
    - make sure the temperature is spot on: too cold can lead to early waking
    - remove all sleep aids (dummies/patting to sleep, music to sleep etc). Leave bub in cot to self settle.If something is different when a sleep cycle ends (dummy fallen out, no patting, music finished etc) then chances are bub will wake up.

Good luck.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Its normal but many (not all) babies can be taught to sleep longer. Both my kids started catnapping at that age, DS started sleeping longer after about a month of sleep training (babybliss method- basically pat and shush till they go back to sleep), DD took far longer- she started having longer naps at around 7 months. I used the safe sleep space method for her, which is easier to do when you have other kids to care for and can't spend up to an hour resettling.
    If you find they are waking up miserable, or it begins to affect their night sleep, it's definitely worth persisting for a while. I would go to the library, find all the baby sleep books and figure out what you think will work best. Then stick to it- consistency is key! Just be aware that controlled crying is not recommended for babies under 6 months, so anything that recommends to leave them to cry or protest is going to be too full on for little babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say catnapping isn't the best for bubs, often leads to over tired babies and *can* (in a chunk of cases, not all though) be prevented.
    I agree to this part but wanted to add this-

An over tired but will also catnap, so it's about finding that perfect window of opportunity for your Bubs. For mine, it was usually awake for about an hour before I put her down. Now at 4 months she can be stretched slightly longer 1 hr-1.5 hrs at most before being over tired.

If you don't mind the use of a dummy for a sleep aid then use it for sleep time only. All my babes used a dummy for sleep only, it was a great way to signal sleep time. Often yes it would fall out and yes I'd go put it back in when they began to stir at the end of a cycle but many many times I'd check on them and the dummy was pushed out and not needed.

Music can also be a great signal for sleep. Yes sometimes when learning to sleep longer I would go in and restart music if she stirred at the end of a cycle. I don't mind if it helps her to gently transit to the next cycle, better than her waking up grumpy and tired.

At the end of the day it's not unusual for babies to have a shorter nap before going to bed for the night. My LO will do 3 sleep cycles for her day time sleeps but her last sleep is only for 40 mins and that's ok too. Then she's ready for bed by 6pm.

I guess what I'm saying is, try a few different things and if they don't work keep on until you find something that's perfect for you and your Bubs. Catnapping is very tiring for both babies and you, so you need to do what you can to promote sleep. Hugs I hope it gets better for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had exactly the same thing with my twins. They would wake after 40 minutes and I would go in and resettle them, and some of the time they would go back to sleep, other times not. They woke frequently overnight. Looking back I think they were mega over tired all the time.
    We ended up doing sleep school when they were 7 months corrected.
    But really they only started sleeping a good day sleep of 1.5-2hrs when they were 15months corrected and were ready for 1 day nap.
    Can you speak to your MCHN, we had available to us a nurse to come over and help with settling/resettling techniques, and eventually the referral to sleep school when nothing else was working.
    It is difficult with two problem sleepers there is no doubt!! I also would take them for a walk in the afternoon so they would have a nap and I could get some fresh air.
    Another thing I used to do was meet a friend (another twin mum with dodgy sleepers!!) at a big shopping centre and we would get a coffee and walk around while our babies slept in the prams and we could chat for an hour or so. It was great to have a day now and then to not have to worry about putting them to bed or resettling, and to have a coffee and chat!
    Do you have much help with housework or cooking etc? I had to drastically lower my expectations of what I could achieve during the day with 2 babies that only slept 40 minutes and not always at the same time.
    xxxxxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same issue, started using the timings in Tizzie Hall's routine and the sleep during the day got significantly better. Even if you don't agree with all of Tizzie's opinions, using the feed and nap times is useful. My son doesn't sleep for the full two hours she has in the routine, but she does say in the book that some kids won't do exactly what the routine says and that's ok.

My DS still has a 40min catnap in the mornings but will sleep longer for his afternoon nap. He's 5 months now.

While its difficult to get some kids to stop catnapping I do agree that catnapping can lead to overtiredness. That's why I was so desperate to find a routine that helped minimise it - my son was always crying, cranky and overtired after a catnap. He wasn't happy. Now that he has a longer nap in the afternoon our day is much better, and there's little to no whinging when it is nap time either, he's actually usually quite happy to go down.