+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Losec effectiveness

Just a question about Losec. My LO is on 1ml of Losec suspension per day at the moment. After taking 2 weeks to work, the Losec seemed to kick in and things got better with feeding my bub. However after one month of using it, it seems we are now dealing with silent reflux again. Has this happened to anyone else? Did you need to up the dosage or change to/ add Zantac? Thanks for your help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The suspension whilst easier is no where near as effective as using the tablets. The suspension apparently works best in the first 1-2 weeks then loses its effect. Someone gave me a brilliant tip to make the tablets easier. Cut the tablet to what you need, put it in a syringe & suck up some water. It's important they get all the little beads. Once we used tablets losec worked great for my bub.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenga For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (11-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
    The suspension whilst easier is no where near as effective as using the tablets. The suspension apparently works best in the first 1-2 weeks then loses its effect. Someone gave me a brilliant tip to make the tablets easier. Cut the tablet to what you need, put it in a syringe & suck up some water. It's important they get all the little beads. Once we used tablets losec worked great for my bub.
    Thanks Jenga - what age did your bub go on Losec tablets? My paed didn't want her on tablets because she is only 9 weeks. I want to try and convince him to give us the tablets instead.

So I guess it's possible, in the last 2 weeks of using the last bottle of Losec, my LO was getting less and less use from it and we are now back at square one waiting for the new bottle to build up again. grrrr

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think she was about 8-10 weeks. We tried the suspension as well because it was easier but a pharmacist told me about the tablets & we tried again using the syringe. The tablets were cheaper too. I can't remember how much she started on, I think it was 1ml.

ETA maybe ask him if he's aware that the suspension loses its effectiveness?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also losec is prescribed per kilo. So as your little one grows the dose needs to be increased.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
    This is the same for us.

My DS3 is on the losec tablets and has been since he was 5 weeks old (he is 13 weeks now). I used the suspension with my DS1 & DS2 when they were babies and I definitely find the tablets more effective.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

MrsNat  (15-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gp prescribed losec suspension until I could get into the pediatrician. Pedeatrician said the suspension loses its effect about 2 weeks after being made up and prescribed nexium instead. It kicked in straight away and has made a huge difference. He is on half a 10mg sachet twice a day, plus infant gaviscon. Our instructions are to introduce solids as 4months and wean him off the medication as solids are established. The nexium is not cheap though at $40 for 30 sachets (so two weeks for us).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app