+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Anyone in real estate know

My dp recently sold his house. It's still in settlement period, 30 day unconditional settlement. The house is currently vacant. Just this arvo we became aware (through family) that its been put up for rent through the same real estate it was sold through, with an open inspection tomorrow and Saturday. Dp was not made aware of this from the real estate. He will be calling tomorrow but does anyone know if they are allowed to do this? It says its not available till 3 days after settlement but surely he should have been notified of inspections during the settlement period?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No they cant do that coz technically its still your DPs property until its been settled.
    How will they even have access to give viewings?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't give you exact legislation or anything, but until settlement occurs the house belongs to your DP. I don't know about the advertising of the house as a rental, but there is NO way they should be holding home opens until after settlement.

Does the selling agent have keys?? I'd be calling first thing in the morning to say absolutely not to the inspections and getting the keys back same day. Depending on the agent's explanation, I might also be inclined to lodge a complaint with the principal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    They are allowed if they have his permission ( and it sounds like they don't!) normally we would negotiate with the owner that we can show it to prospective tenants before settlement, it is quite common to do it but nothing can be signed until after settlement when the buyer actually owns it - your DP can tell them not to but its not really doing any harm ? The agent would use their keys I assume but yes they really should have asked first!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes they still have a copy of the keys from having open house days while it was for sale. I didn't think it sounded right to rent out a house that is technically not theirs yet. He will be calling his solicitor and agent tomorrow for sure

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DH is a real estate agent and he said its definitely not appropriate without your written permission as its still your house. That's really poor form on the agents behalf