+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    I didn't know you could medicate to do the test?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I was told not to the first time but when that didnt work my midwife told me to take it before I tried again.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    I didn't know you could medicate to do the test?

You can (or I did anyway) I just had to let the tester know so they could make a note of it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I passed my first gtt with my DD but they changed the test parameters and when I booked into hospital they said I would have been positive if the new standards were used (and they treated me as GD positive during my stay). She was a big Bub at 4.2 kilos, but she tested fine after her birth.
    I've actually passed this time, but they are double checking the results so I have it again next week.
    I found the first time I had the glucose drink (with my DD) it made me really sleepy and I felt a bit off, second time (this pregnancy) I felt fine
    I also know of a low risk woman who had GD with her third (passed with her 1st 2 kids), so it can happen to anyone, it's definitely worth getting it checked

Can you ring the pathologists and ask about the medication?
    Hope it goes well for you

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have it - better to be safe than sorry. I had to have one at the beginning of this pregnancy since I'm still a fatty after DD and I'll have another at 26 weeks - it's just easier to do it than to fight them, and if you've got a history of big babies, it might be worth ruling out GD just in case. and you can most definitely get it with other babes even after not having it in previous pregnancies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Its the hg I'm worried about. I just know I'm going to barf within a minute of drinking it am yet to book it.

Eta asked my dr and they said I can dose up on zofran beforehand so I'll give that a go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have severe m/s (not HG) & I had to do mine last week. I threw up the drink within 2 minutes of finishing it. The lab refused to continue the test & said I had to re-book and do it again.

When I saw my midwife I told her what had happened & she ordered another test that doesn't require drinking that revolting drink. It measures your glucose levels over the past 12wks & is apparently the follow on test if you fail the GTT.

I'm going for the new test next week but thought I'd mention it incase your HG causes you to up chuck the drink. No point putting yourself threw another GTT when there's an alternative test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to suggest to see if there are other options, I would not do the GTT test on any future pregnancies, its to normal and I do not believe its the most accurate way. I would be taking the blood test and am open to testing my sugars at home. There are other options its just the GTT is standard practice so we all generally agree to it, next time I won't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had HG at the beginning of my pregnancy, I failed my first GTT (had high glucose at 12 weeks) as I threw up the liquid and my midwife got my to do the finger prick test over a week to monitor my glucose. I have my proper GTT in a few weeks and really not looking forward to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Talk to your hospital and see if Uou can get a glucometer to test you sugars at home. Then do a 4 point profile . Testing sugars upon waking (fasting level) then 2 hours after breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Should give you a good indication.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Update.

Did my gtt. Got it down, kept it down. Woohoo! So all done and dusted. The last 10min were the hardest as the hunger was starting to get to me.

I get my results on Wednesday. What would they be if I failed? Going by the amount of weight im putting on per week I'm pretty sure I've failed it.