+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Glucose Tolerance Test.

I'm deciding whether to get this done and want some opinions or advice of something.

Background on me. This is my third baby. I've never been offered either test with my previous children. My babies were 4.41kg and 4.35kg. Both were born perfectly healthy. I put on 25kg with ds1 and 15kg with ds2 (22kg if I include weight lost from hg first). This time I'm 6kg up from prepreg weight (11 if you count weight lost due to hg).

I am still suffering mild hyperemesis so I don't know how that will affect the results, or my ability to even drink the drink.

Unsure what to do? Is it possible to not have it in two pregnancies then get it in the third? Is it possible I had undiagnosed gd with my previous pregnancies that had no effect on my babies?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes it is possible to get GD in one pregnancy and not another. Your babies were big but if you felt no other symptoms or your care provider was not worried you probably didn't have GD.
    I would have the test, but I like peace of mind, the drink is just like lemonade and a couple of blood tests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had gd with my 2nd not my first and this one I have to have different tests which im currently waiting on redults for. But other than a positive test with my son I had no symptons. Both babies were big babies though and my son who I did have gd with was perfectly heathly born.
    Ive had glucose fasting tests not the tolerance test this time. But I agree the drinks just a bit sweeter than lemonade
    I honestly don't find it un pleasant but ive never had hg either. Considering your history and hg I most likely wouldnt opt for gd testing or see if you can do it a bit later than 26 weeks if your feeling better?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first two pregnancies were both 4kg babies with no GD.

I ended up getting it with my third (a dd after 2 ds), I ended up on insulin. Funnily enough she was only 3.1kg lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm 25wks now and my test us booked for 27wks. Its the 2hr fasting test.

Ive been feeling much better for the last month and an unmedicated. I can't drink anything though, which is why I think I won't be able to get it down. A glass of orange juice makes me vomit. I can only drink milk or tea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would just explain that to your gp.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd explain to your gp but honestly I'd have it if I were you. I had gdm with my last bub and I didn't have any symptoms but I ended up on insulin. Fortunately she was ok but sometimes they have to go into special care when they're born if their blood sugar is low.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They said it was up to me. I haven't been referred for it because I'm high risk, they just said it's routine and I can refuse. Ill give it a go but if I chuck I won't retry it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd get it done. It's a horrible drink to keep down, I felt like spewing too. But on the off chance that I might have had GD, I'd rather know as early as possible than not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadHatter View Post
    I'd get it done. It's a horrible drink to keep down, I felt like spewing too. But on the off chance that I might have had GD, I'd rather know as early as possible than not.
    See this is what I'm worried about. If normal people can barely keep it down I don't know how I will suffering from something that made me throw every single thing I eat or drink up without medication lol. I'll give it a shot. Not eating breakfast makes me feel faint so it's going to be fun.