+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had braces when I was 22- 24 yrs. I wore a plastic retainer for one year and a metal retainer after that maybe a couple of times a week for another year. I haven't wore my retainer since I was 26 (I'm now 34) and they have shifted a little but they still look amazing. I tried on my old retainer after reading this thread and it doesn't fit at all so my teeth must of shifted a bit but I still get comments on my lovely smile.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    The bonded/fixed retainer is the metal one that is permanently glued to the back of the teeth. So that's what I currently have (on top and bottom), but the top keeps breaking.

this is what i have. i wish i got it on the top too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wear a clear mouth guard style retainer on the top once a week overnight and have a wire permanently fixed to the back of bottom teeth... I've had braces twice now as silly me didn't wear her retainers consistently first time around so had them put back on. I prefer the wire and wish I had it for the top teeth also as I hate the mouth guard!

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a wire bonded to the back of my bottom teeth with huge metal rings around 2 of my lower teeth. It was an older style and I had it for 20 years. I've just replaced it with a newer style wire bonded behind the teeth that zigzags so I can still floss. When they took off the metal rings on the old one the dentist found a massive hole that wasn't showing up X-ray (because of the metal) and I needed a root canal. She said the old retainers are terrible for that.

I don't have a retainer for the top but had some kind of procedure done when my braces came off that stops the teeth moving, apparently. Something involving cutting the gums... It was awful, but it's worked, my top teeth are fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Since the start of this year I have permanently bonded wire retainers on the top and bottom of my teeth and at night I also have plastic retainers which I wear to bed whilst I sleep.

I don't know any different, so I can't say what is better, but I wear my plastic ones religiously and recently stopped wearing them for a week whilst I was feeling a bit off and couldn't believe the difference when I went to put them back on, my top teeth ached so badly and felt tight like when I wore them for the very first time, so I suspect they definitely do their job in stopping any movement etc.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 12-09-2013 at 14:48. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a clear plastic on and loved it once they shaved off the sharp bits ,it did make me talk a bit funny pronouncing some letters of words but no one noticed I even had it on and I worked as a teller in a bank speaking to people all day. Only prob was it was clear so I lost a few. Want to check out those invisline ones as I grind and clench my teeth a lot so they are always moving around.