+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default If you have had braces...

...what sort of retainer do you wear?

I have a bonded (fixed) retainer on my upper and lower, and the upper keeps breaking

I have had it repaired three times now. The orthos always try to steer me away from other types of retainers. What type do you have? Do you like it? Have you noticed any movement or had any problems?
    Last edited by Witwicky; 11-09-2013 at 14:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Wow, i had all kinds and head gear (eek!) Is it for day or night? I currently have to wear a night guard cos i grind my teeth but after i had braces i had to wear a top and bottom retainer. I would spit it out in me sleep so they put a ring on my back teeth that i had to hook it onto.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a clear plastic one that I hated and stopped using, much to my parents disgust.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: If you have had braces...

I had plastic retainers pretty sure on top and bottom to start with. Then they moulded one with a wire for the top - the wire went around my teeth. Now I have wires which are glued to the back of my teeth that will never be taken off.
    Hope that made sense lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    Wow, i had all kinds and head gear (eek!) Is it for day or night? I currently have to wear a night guard cos i grind my teeth but after i had braces i had to wear a top and bottom retainer. I would spit it out in me sleep so they put a ring on my back teeth that i had to hook it onto.
    This was me! Head gear at night, elastics on the braces as well. So I thought WTF I will go with it and brighten my day and made sure I got every colour available wrapped around each brace on the tooth at one stage or another. At Christmas time I even had green, red and white.

After 2 years of braces I just had a clear top and bottom retainer for night wear that I had to wear for a year or so. Over 15 years later my teeth haven't moved much at all (apparently they always move slightly throughout your life due to gum changes as you age) but I did have my wisdom teeth cut out so they never effected my teeth.
    I also got told I grind my teeth and should get a night guard, but I said there was no point. Technically I do not grind my teeth I clench them during stressful situations, anger, frustration, anxiety etc. This happens during the day much more than night! So I instead worked on relaxation techniques...

A friend has a permanent fixture (similar to a spacer but rather than moving teeth apart it holds them in place) on her bottom teeth because she fears them moving. Seemed like a large expense considering I have 1 single tooth very slightly crooked hidden behind my bottom lip, nothing compared to the vampire with an massive overbite before braces.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had a clear plastic retainer thaT went over just my front teeth like a mouth guard. i hated it, i couldnt talk properly so mainly wore it to bed and when i was at home.
    on the bottom i got a metal bar on the inside (so u cant see it) going across the 6 teeth. i still have it there 10 yrs on. my bottom teeth have not moved. my top have shifted a little but only seen if i study them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by Notably Nutty View Post
    This was me! Head gear at night, elastics on the braces as well. So I thought WTF I will go with it and brighten my day and made sure I got every colour available wrapped around each brace on the tooth at one stage or another. At Christmas time I even had green, red and white.

After 2 years of braces I just had a clear top and bottom retainer for night wear that I had to wear for a year or so. Over 15 years later my teeth haven't moved much at all (apparently they always move slightly throughout your life due to gum changes as you age) but I did have my wisdom teeth cut out so they never effected my teeth.
    I also got told I grind my teeth and should get a night guard, but I said there was no point. Technically I do not grind my teeth I clench them during stressful situations, anger, frustration, anxiety etc. This happens during the day much more than night! So I instead worked on relaxation techniques...

A friend has a permanent fixture (similar to a spacer but rather than moving teeth apart it holds them in place) on her bottom teeth because she fears them moving. Seemed like a large expense considering I have 1 single tooth very slightly crooked hidden behind my bottom lip, nothing compared to the vampire with an massive overbite before braces.
    OMG this is bringing back memories! I remember having green red and white for christmas. Red and Black for grand final afl, went absolutly spastic when they brought out the fluro colours and the glow in the dark ones!!!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The bonded/fixed retainer is the metal one that is permanently glued to the back of the teeth. So that's what I currently have (on top and bottom), but the top keeps breaking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    OMG this is bringing back memories! I remember having green red and white for christmas. Red and Black for grand final afl, went absolutly spastic when they brought out the fluro colours and the glow in the dark ones!!!
    My favourite was black and purple! It went with so many outfits

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Notably Nutty For This Useful Post:

bpac  (11-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    had a plastic retainer which i wore for probably a year after i had braces, they have moved a bit but not too much