+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Witwicky's Avatar
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,630
    Thanks
    4,446
    Thanked
    3,495
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default If you have had braces...

    ...what sort of retainer do you wear?

    I have a bonded (fixed) retainer on my upper and lower, and the upper keeps breaking

    I have had it repaired three times now. The orthos always try to steer me away from other types of retainers. What type do you have? Do you like it? Have you noticed any movement or had any problems?
    Last edited by Witwicky; 11-09-2013 at 14:45.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,920
    Thanks
    1,148
    Thanked
    953
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Wow, i had all kinds and head gear (eek!) Is it for day or night? I currently have to wear a night guard cos i grind my teeth but after i had braces i had to wear a top and bottom retainer. I would spit it out in me sleep so they put a ring on my back teeth that i had to hook it onto.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    262
    Thanked
    299
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a clear plastic one that I hated and stopped using, much to my parents disgust.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    392
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked
    90
    Reviews
    0

    Default Re: If you have had braces...

    I had plastic retainers pretty sure on top and bottom to start with. Then they moulded one with a wire for the top - the wire went around my teeth. Now I have wires which are glued to the back of my teeth that will never be taken off.
    Hope that made sense lol

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    315
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked
    77
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    Wow, i had all kinds and head gear (eek!) Is it for day or night? I currently have to wear a night guard cos i grind my teeth but after i had braces i had to wear a top and bottom retainer. I would spit it out in me sleep so they put a ring on my back teeth that i had to hook it onto.
    This was me! Head gear at night, elastics on the braces as well. So I thought WTF I will go with it and brighten my day and made sure I got every colour available wrapped around each brace on the tooth at one stage or another. At Christmas time I even had green, red and white.

    After 2 years of braces I just had a clear top and bottom retainer for night wear that I had to wear for a year or so. Over 15 years later my teeth haven't moved much at all (apparently they always move slightly throughout your life due to gum changes as you age) but I did have my wisdom teeth cut out so they never effected my teeth.
    I also got told I grind my teeth and should get a night guard, but I said there was no point. Technically I do not grind my teeth I clench them during stressful situations, anger, frustration, anxiety etc. This happens during the day much more than night! So I instead worked on relaxation techniques...

    A friend has a permanent fixture (similar to a spacer but rather than moving teeth apart it holds them in place) on her bottom teeth because she fears them moving. Seemed like a large expense considering I have 1 single tooth very slightly crooked hidden behind my bottom lip, nothing compared to the vampire with an massive overbite before braces.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    249
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked
    94
    Reviews
    0
    i had a clear plastic retainer thaT went over just my front teeth like a mouth guard. i hated it, i couldnt talk properly so mainly wore it to bed and when i was at home.
    on the bottom i got a metal bar on the inside (so u cant see it) going across the 6 teeth. i still have it there 10 yrs on. my bottom teeth have not moved. my top have shifted a little but only seen if i study them.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,920
    Thanks
    1,148
    Thanked
    953
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by Notably Nutty View Post
    This was me! Head gear at night, elastics on the braces as well. So I thought WTF I will go with it and brighten my day and made sure I got every colour available wrapped around each brace on the tooth at one stage or another. At Christmas time I even had green, red and white.

    After 2 years of braces I just had a clear top and bottom retainer for night wear that I had to wear for a year or so. Over 15 years later my teeth haven't moved much at all (apparently they always move slightly throughout your life due to gum changes as you age) but I did have my wisdom teeth cut out so they never effected my teeth.
    I also got told I grind my teeth and should get a night guard, but I said there was no point. Technically I do not grind my teeth I clench them during stressful situations, anger, frustration, anxiety etc. This happens during the day much more than night! So I instead worked on relaxation techniques...

    A friend has a permanent fixture (similar to a spacer but rather than moving teeth apart it holds them in place) on her bottom teeth because she fears them moving. Seemed like a large expense considering I have 1 single tooth very slightly crooked hidden behind my bottom lip, nothing compared to the vampire with an massive overbite before braces.
    OMG this is bringing back memories! I remember having green red and white for christmas. Red and Black for grand final afl, went absolutly spastic when they brought out the fluro colours and the glow in the dark ones!!!

  8. #8
    Witwicky's Avatar
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,630
    Thanks
    4,446
    Thanked
    3,495
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The bonded/fixed retainer is the metal one that is permanently glued to the back of the teeth. So that's what I currently have (on top and bottom), but the top keeps breaking.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    315
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked
    77
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    OMG this is bringing back memories! I remember having green red and white for christmas. Red and Black for grand final afl, went absolutly spastic when they brought out the fluro colours and the glow in the dark ones!!!
    My favourite was black and purple! It went with so many outfits

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Notably Nutty For This Useful Post:

    bpac  (11-09-2013)

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,195
    Thanks
    88
    Thanked
    278
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    had a plastic retainer which i wore for probably a year after i had braces, they have moved a bit but not too much


 

Similar Threads

  1. How much do braces cost?
    By myfirstbub in forum Teenagers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 15-08-2016, 22:18
  2. Braces when an adult
    By monnie24 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 21:27
  3. Getting braces off in a few weeks :-D
    By Jensha in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25-09-2012, 12:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pyjamas.com.au
With so many gorgeous brands and styles for every season, our pyjamas, nighties, robes, sleepsuits and sleeping bags are lovely for lights out and perfect for lazy days. Get 10% off first order using code bubhub. Be quick offer ends 31/12/16.
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
Transition into Parenthood / Calmbirth Sydney
Julie's Transition into Parenthood and Calmbirth courses for pregnant couples will get you ready, prepared and organised for the wonderful birth of your beautiful new baby. Birth Support Doula training provided in 2017 open to all. Call 0401 265 530
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!