+ Reply to Thread
    MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When to Express?

So my DH and I are going away next February to a friends wedding where we will be staying overnight in a holiday park.
    DH's parents were going to stay at the holiday park aswell so they can look after DD for the day whilst we are at the wedding venue, until we go back there at night after the reception.
    DD is 6 wks atm and will be 7 months old when we go away. I plan to exclusively breastfeed for at least 6 months so at the time of the wedding she will probably be starting solids but will still need EBM (I would assume) because she will be weaning (again only assuming) and may need it so DH's parents can put her to sleep,etc.
    My question is:
    1. if i plan to give her EBM in the future should I introduce it occasionally now so she doesnt refuse it when she is older(6-7month) ?
    2. Is it possible to exclusively breastfeed for 6 months without using any EBM ? Because I planned to do that but that does mean I cannot allow bub to be away from me for any amount of time in case she needs a feed...am I being realistic? Or is it best for bub ?
    3. Is it ok to use EBM so DH can feed her on the occasion I need to go out and do something...or is this being selfish? I feel guilty doing this, i know its silly and more of a personal choice rather than whats right but I would like to know other's choices and experiences.

Sorry for the long post, i have so many questions !? Any advice is greatly appreciated

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you plan to feed EBM in the future I would definitely try to introduce a bottle before the occasion, because chances are, if the first time she's seen a bottle is when you're away at the wedding she may not take it. I wouldn't introduce a bottle before 3 months though, just to make sure good feeding has been established and supply has settled. Not sure if you've heard of nipple confusion, but introducing a bottle too early can sometimes cause trouble going back to the breast (some bubs then tend to prefer bottle because it's easier - the milk flows from a bottle teat regardless of whether they are sucking or not, whereas breastfeeding they have to work quite hard).

It is absolutely possible to bf for the first 6 months without introducing EBM, it just means that you're the only person that can feed your bub If your bub will be 7 months when you go to the wedding and you don't want to introduce a bottle before 6 months you could try intoducing EBM just after 6 months when you start solids. You could also try going straight to a sippy cup at that age instead of a bottle. If you decide to introduce EBM eariler than 6 months it's not going to be detrimental to your baby - they are still getting your breastmilk, it's just coming from a different vessel! I have introduced both my bubs to EBM around 3 months old, and bf DS1 for 18 months.

It is absolutely ok to use EBM for your DH to feed bub. It's not being selfish at all, and it actually gives your DH a nice chance to bond with bub in a different way. My DH loved feeding DS1, and when he was sleeping really badly DH would often give him 1 night feed so I could get a bit extra sleep.

HTH

3. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (11-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank u so much Decemberbubba! Answered all my questions and thankyou for sharing your experience.
    I will wait till after 3 month before expressing and would love to try it sometimes so DH can feed DD because I know he would love that extra chance to bond

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mrs Howard
    I was very similar to you with my DS1. I originally thought I would express, after BFing was well established, so DH could help with feeding but I found expressing so tedious and time consuming that i just didnt do it very often. We tried DS with a bottle (i think at about 3 months) and he took it fine but we didn't bother persisting. I ended up exclusively breastfeeding for 6 months and when we introduced solids he started using a sippy cup for milk. Yes, it meant that I couldn't be away from him for more than a couple of hours but that was okay with me. And I found that as he got older he could manage a bit longer between feeds if needed.

Of course you can express if you need or would like to spend som time away from bub, no harm in that at all!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Electric Boogaloo For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I exclusively BF my DD, she's 10 months now. No real reason behind it except that the nurses etc scared me and said that if I introduce a bottle the baby will prefer that and then refuse the breast. I do know babies that are both breast and bottle fed and babies that preferred the bottle and so dropped the breast. So, really it could go either way, and the latter may have had more to do with milk supply and a load of various other reasons.

It would have been good for my DH to feed her (or anyone else to feed her) and she had 1 bottle at about 5 months to see if she'd take it, but she wasn't too interested.

At 7 months my DD could use a sippy cup, so you may also be able to feed her EBM from that.

Good luck with it!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantsy For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My response is a little different but hopefully still valid

My bub is 9 weeks and exclusively fed breast milk but has a handful of feeds a week of ebm. We do this because I find it easier and helpful to carry ebm when we are out and about. It means if we are shopping and bubba decides he's starving (he definitely isn't because I don't go anywhere without bf him first!) then hubby can give bubs a drink while I finish the groceries. Also handy if I'm alone and bub is cracking it in the aisle, I can feed him in one of those trolley chairs instead of having to dash out of there. My large chest makes walking and bfeeding near impossible!

Also our bubba is a dreadful sleeper and still feeds pretty much at least 2hrly through the night. I'm completely shattered most of the time so once or twice a week when hubby is off work he does a couple of night feeds with ebm so I can get a solid block of sleep for once and recharge.

I started expressing and giving him the bottle in this way from about 3 weeks I think. I have a great supply and good pump so in the beginning I would pump 240ml (in two sessions) a day just to get a stock in the freezer. There is now 3l of frozen bm on standby. Now I only express when I need to replace what we've used so its probably once or twice a week at 120-240 mls.

He's 9 weeks and thriving and this really works for us even though its not exactly the 'done' thing. He swaps happily from breast to bottle and accepted the bottle straight away. My DD refused the bottle! Definitely makes life easier for us and I believe will prolong the time I am willing and able to BF him because of the added convenience.

Just another perspective anyway, seek advice from the ABA, other mums and then do what works for you and bubba

Best of luck x

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your experiences and advice. Im feeling alot more confident about how to approach this and relieved as well !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If your supply is well established and baby is latching efficiently, pls introduce a bottle before bub is 1mo.
    it's a lot harder to introduce later. don't worry about nipple confusion, if he knows how to do it now, 1 bottle wont change it.

I personally think it's important baby doesn't exclusively rely on you. What if you're sick and you need to take medication that will go through your milk? what if you need to be away for a few hours?
    even of you're planning to exclusively BF it might be a great idea to have a plan B.

I have been expressing and building a EBM stack. Bub takes a bottle here and there, mostly so I can have a night out and a few drinks. I also love that I can leave bub with DH and feel confident that bub won't starve.

Anyway BF without expressing can be done, a lot of mums around me do it and everyone is happy

Also at 7mo, breast milk will still be your baby principal source of food.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (12-09-2013),MrsHoward  (12-09-2013)