+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Vicpark
    She latches fine. No pain or anything. She seems to gulp quite quickly and I worry she's getting quite gassy which is why she stops. Sometimes when we try to burp her it takes ages and we still have no luck with it. I'll put her back to the breast cases she's doing the mouth opening thing and she'll but then just pull away again or suck once and then just stop and lie there.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDiDah View Post
    Vicpark
    She latches fine. No pain or anything. She seems to gulp quite quickly and I worry she's getting quite gassy which is why she stops. Sometimes when we try to burp her it takes ages and we still have no luck with it. I'll put her back to the breast cases she's doing the mouth opening thing and she'll but then just pull away again or suck once and then just stop and lie there.
    Just remember you're still getting time to know your baby! My DD never needed to be burped. She fed for hours and hours at a time too.

If she's feeding, getting wet nappies and seems content then all is well.

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Thank you all so much. Hubby is amazingly supportive and is up with me for every feed but I he just doesn't understand quite how distressing it can be to feel like you aren't doing the right thing.
    I had sore boobs for a while and hubby used to massage my boobs when I was feeding. Even if your hubby can't understand perhaps he could pamper you while you feed? (Shoulder massage?)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (10-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, because she isn't feeding much my boobs are rock solid (especially the one she goes to second) so I've been expressing each side for 5mins just for comfort. Should I be doing this or is there another way I can stop them being so hard and painful?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Also, because she isn't feeding much my boobs are rock solid (especially the one she goes to second) so I've been expressing each side for 5mins just for comfort. Should I be doing this or is there another way I can stop them being so hard and painful?
    Swap the boobs each time. Start on left for one feed, then start on right for another. Bub is still very young so it may take another few weeks for your supply to settle down and for your boobs to start to behave.

Be carefull expressing for comfort your boobs can get confused into thinking bub needs more milk... Hence the problem (fulk boobs) gets worse. A warm flannel and a massage may help.

I just had a thought is it one boob in particular bub has a problem with? If so perhaps the let down in that boob is a bit fast which turns bub off. In which case expressing for a few minutes beforehand may help.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

JumpingInPuddlesxxx  (10-09-2013),LaDiDah  (11-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry you had such a tough time but you sound like you are doing a great job.

Both my two were speed feeders from birth, 10mins one side that was it. Nothing I did could get them to feed more. They were feeding every 2hrs but it was so quick it was ok.

If you feel confident enough I would try and ditch the bottle if possible. Definitely try and get bubs to feed when a bit sleepy, I often found the dream feed one of the longest feed.

I swapped from one side to the other, I used to put a hairband on my wrist so I could remember which side next. I also expressed, massaged etc to get rid of the lumpy boob. Worst thing was we couldn't get bubs to take a bottle of ebm so ended up throwing out so much milk.

Good luck and keep going with your confidence. You are doing awesome.

ETA: if you do have one sore or less confident boob (mine was my right) try and time it so you do that one on the sleepy feed. Bubs will be more relaxed and you might find it easier. Big deep breaths and try to keep your shoulders dropped so your not tensing, I used to have to get my shoulders down from my ears I was so tense.
    Last edited by ICanDream; 10-09-2013 at 21:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations on your baby girl!!
    You have done a fantastic job to establish breastfeeding under difficult circumstances. I am probably only going to repeat what everyone else has said but anyway.
    I would stop stressing that she needs to go four hours between feeds and just feed her whenever she wants. My DD2 was in the SCN for a couple of weeks and they had her on four hourly feeds. As soon as she got home I stopped sticking to that routine and just demand fed, I didn't time how long she fed for or how long it would be between feeds (never had with the other kids either). She was slow to gain weight in the nursery but once she got home and I could feed whenever I wanted she started gaining huge amounts. Even now my 4th baby is nearly four months old and demand fed, she rarely goes three hours between feeding let alone four, I tell my MC&H nurse that she does though lol.
    Also your DD might just be efficient at the breast hence not feeding for long.
    Good luck and your are doing a great job!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are doing an Awsome job and I agree with the advice you've already gotten here.

The only thing I can think of is warm/ hot showers to help the engorgement.

I never burped DS either and he had no issues. He mostly only had 1 boob at a time (but fed hourly when awake, though slept 8+ hrs from 6 weeks). It's still so early your supply takes time to adjust properly. I think it was 6-8 weeks before my rock hard boobs became softer and I stopped leaking all over the bed!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CitrusRain View Post
    Some great advice here already. I am so sorry that you had a traumatic birth and that the first few weeks have been difficult for you

I just wanted to touch on the NICU point and give you my experiences.

DS1 was prem and in the NICU for a few weeks. I had a traumatic birth and feeding was difficult. I was constantly being told that my bub needed top ups because he wasn't getting enough because he wasn't lasting the 3 hours during the day and 4 hours at night. I agreed but it led to a long and hard 8 months of mixed feeding before he finally rejected the boob and only wanted the bottle.

So many nurses and peads will harp on about the feeding every 3-4 hours point and I have seen so many mums come home from NICU (including myself) thinking that they are doing something wrong with feeding because bub always seems hungry and isn't feeding on the NICU schedule so top ups get bigger and bigger which leads to breastfeeds getting smaller and smaller.

My advice after a second bub and as an ex NICU mum (and having a close community of current and ex NICU mums around me IRL) would be to forget everything they said about feeding schedules and focus on your bub and demand feeding.

Secondly, ditch the bottle. It won't do your supply any favours.

Thirdly, offer the breast every time she whimpers or seems hungry even if you don't think you have any milk because it's only been half an hour between feeds. Sometime I've had to continually feed DS2 for hours in the evenings, swapping from side to side, and that is normal for many demand fed bubs. It does not mean there is a problem with your supply.

Sometimes you will think you don't have any milk at all (especially once your supply settles) but as long as bub is having plenty of wet nappies and is growing then she is getting enough.

Lastly, huge hugs. It's so tough when you have to deal with the emotions of having a traumatic birth and having a bub in NICU plus getting BF established. You're doing a great job!
    Great advice.

My mantra: if in doubt, boob out. Like a pp said, every squeak she makes, whack her on.

Good luck.
    Last edited by grumpybump; 11-09-2013 at 00:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^^ just like this. If its any help, when dd was newbie she would be on the boob every half hour to hour. The sooner i accepted thats what needed to be done and forget the advice, the easier it became (could say that about parenting in general) I feel the worst advice I ever received, was feed every 3to 4 hours. They need to stop telling people this terrible advice. Babies feed for more reasons than just hunger, and in those early days its important to regulate the supply/ demand. I was in tears over this too, but 18 mo on, still going keep it up mumma, be easy on yourself, you been through so much, and follow your gut. And if your nippies get sore, cover them in some breast milk and let air dry after every feed and get nipple shields xxx