+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fit to be mums/gym addicts :)

Hi girls
    What exercises are you maintaining now that your pregnant?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I kept running up until 15 weeks, and then things just got uncomfortable lol.

I've definitely dramatically changed my routine - it's alot less intense, but I try for longer duration...so I will go for a walk for an 1-1.5 hrs but less intense pace, rather than 30-60 mins of intense cardio where I feel exhausted (and amazing!) after.

I'm going to the gym and doing cardio like bike and cross trainer, and lots of walking. Also doing some modified Pilates and stretches just to keep a bit flexible and keep the core strong. Thinking I will start swimming now the weather is warming up.

Have definitely slowed down as things have progressed (now almost 26 weeks), but trying to keep as active as I can! Am just listening to my body and not going over hard. I find that the 'talk test' is a good monitor as to how hard I'm pushing - I should easily be able to maintain a conversation while exercising. My ob says to stay under HR 140-150 bpm as this is the point where blood flow to the placenta is reduced.

I've definitely lost fitness and tone since I've been pregnant, which I'm struggling with as I was running 7-10km or going to gym (classes and cardio/weights) 5x week before pregnancy, but I will get back there! And at the end of the day, the priority is growing bub. However, I'm so so so looking forward to going for a run when bub is born and I'm recovered (yes, I realise that makes me sound slightly strange)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to onlyjuststarting For This Useful Post:

Mrs Summer  (10-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was very active prior to been pregnant but due to nerve damage from the pregnancy and infections, I've had to give it up pretty much I still do modified yoga and swimming but I'm no where as active as I was! Best advice would be check with your doctor

Sent from my iPad using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My main sport was hockey which is a no no during pregnancy due to contact/injury risk, and also Les Mills classes at the gym

After BFP I mainly just did cardio machines at the gym on my own so I could pace myself. I felt silly doing the classes cos I couldn't always keep up and I was totally unco during pregnancy!!
    I maintained cardio exercise right up until full term, though after about 30 weeks I was down to just walking on the treadmill and doing laps in the pool.

ETA - DS is now 8 weeks and in the past week or so I'm back walking an hour every day. Found it hard to start anything sooner due to demand breast feeding, sleep deprivation and sore pelvis & pelvic floor from delivering an 8lb 3oz bub!
    Feels great to get moving again.
    Last edited by Jellyfishie; 10-09-2013 at 18:58.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

Mrs Summer  (10-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've had to change my routine like others. I tried to keep running but after about 8 weeks gave up as it exacerbated my terrible reflux (felt like I was shaking a fizzy drink inside me when I jogged ). I'm now almost 22weeks and walk most days 1-1.5 hours and also use the gym if weather prevents me walking outside.

I also got one of the gym trainers to develop a great preggie-weights-workout for me, but to be honest in the past couple of weeks I've stopped doing it as even light weights were making me unusually exhausted, which I figured probably wasn't great.

I'm about to start doing yoga (prob through PreggieBellies who just opened up nearby).

I've also shocked that despite eating healthy and exercising consistently I have put on a LOT more weight than most others at this point (almost 22 weeks). I'm trying to just go with the flow though, as I guess a lot of it is just genetics.