+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Grit my teeth and suffer.
    no solutions sorry.
    Its mainly my dd. Once she is fed she is usually better so I feed her as soon as possible then usually either let her watch tv til she wakes up more and her mood improves or give her a bath (even though she's not dirty) because that usually cheers her up as well. I dread mornings, the whinging drives me nuts. Dh usually leaves a coffee next to my bed when he leaves for work to get me ready for the onslaught.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

B00ts  (10-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My nearly 3yo is like this. DEFCON 1 starts at 7:30am. I hate waking up.
    In only have the one but still, it's all I know, so when she wakes in the morning spitting venom, having melt downs over little things like the f*kn bandaid on her foot has a "kink" in it, refusing breakfast like I just served her poison, and just flying off the handle for no reason I just want to crumble and cry myself.
    Most of the time I do.

I don't really "handle" it.
    Dd also sleeps a good 12 hours, has. Huge dinner ect.
    It honestly takes her until 11am-ish to flick her b!tch switch off.

I kind of just ignore her now and try to let her wake up a bit in her own time.
    Just show no attention to the emotional outbursts and avoid her for awhile like I would a time bomb.
    It doesn't work. But at least I'm not stressing over every little trivial thing with her.
    I have no idea on how to handle her in the mornings.
    Even the dog and cat promptly vacate the house upon dd waking up.

No advise. Just sympathy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

B00ts  (10-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    have an activity ready for your oldest in the morn, like drawing, playdoh, stickers, whiteboard markers etc. then try brekkie? it mite build up an appetite?
    try and take note if any certain food makes them feral..
    if my kids have biscuits or anything red or orange if changes their behavior

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    You mentioned that your 2.5 year old wakes up and is immediately crying coming out of her room, and that you can't get out of her what is wrong. Can I suggest that she may not know what is wrong just that she feels a bit cr@ppy on waking. I would try telling her what you think is wrong instead of asking her. For example, when she comes in crying, rub her back and say in a sympathetic voice "Did you just wake up? Waking up can be hard. I feel all yucky when I first wake up. It looks like you feel a bit yucky. I'm going to give you a big hug and some breakfast and then we can see if you feel better after that."

I also think that the advice to try to keep the morning calm and quiet is excellent. Don't forget that you can get in an escalating spiral of emotions. They come in angry, which raises your emotions, so you raise your voice, this raises their emotions and so on. Before you know it you are all feeling out of control. Not a pleasant start to the day for anyone. Good luck with it all!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leafy For This Useful Post:

River Song  (11-09-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    You mentioned that your 2.5 year old wakes up and is immediately crying coming out of her room, and that you can't get out of her what is wrong. Can I suggest that she may not know what is wrong just that she feels a bit cr@ppy on waking. I would try telling her what you think is wrong instead of asking her. For example, when she comes in crying, rub her back and say in a sympathetic voice "Did you just wake up? Waking up can be hard. I feel all yucky when I first wake up. It looks like you feel a bit yucky. I'm going to give you a big hug and some breakfast and then we can see if you feel better after that."

I also think that the advice to try to keep the morning calm and quiet is excellent. Don't forget that you can get in an escalating spiral of emotions. They come in angry, which raises your emotions, so you raise your voice, this raises their emotions and so on. Before you know it you are all feeling out of control. Not a pleasant start to the day for anyone. Good luck with it all!!
    This is such great advice. At this age they can't articulate their feelings. We need to give them the language to do so and then model some strategies to cope. Not having a go at all, but right now you are modelling that when we feel yucky and upset we get frustrated and yell. Of course you are human and this will happen at times but you also need to model other coping mechanisms, like taking a deep breath, talking about it, having alone time, etc.

If you are consistent and calm, talk through their feelings and coping processes, I think they will start to follow your lead eventually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love some advice my dd aged 7 yrs and getting up for school is a nightmare and tv is ok for a while but breakfast ok but getting dressed she starts screaming and the whole house starts to shake we try to help get her dressed into the uniform, its awful cos everyone ends up in a bad mood, then getting shoes on absolutely horrible and helping to get out the door because she wants to stay at home!!!