+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Night weaning?

So I am wondering how you go about encouraging night weaning?

We have successfully got ds back to self settling to sleep at the beginning of the night with no fuss and it has reduced his night wakings to twice.

He is one next month and I know he doesn't nutritionally need night feeds.

I know some babies still wake a lot more than twice a night so I shouldn't complain. Which I'm not really, I can handle the 2 wake ups compared to the 6+ I was having until a couple weeks ago. But I don't want to continue indefinately.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing. I have a 10mth old who feeds twice a night. Not sure I can be bothered night weaning just yet, but will consider soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used the sleepeasy solution to successfully wean night feeds. It involves one minutes less per side or 1 ounce less in the bottle every 1-2 nights and when they are down to 2 minutes or 1 ounce then you give them no more. It worked shockingly well for me dropping the 1am and 4am feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and if you're unsure how long they spend in the boob then just start at say 5 min side and work your way back. The whole idea is it is gentle and at that they hopefully won't wake up any more once its very minimal.

The sleepeasy solution also involved me setting an alarm to feed her an hour before she usually woke so she stopped associating waking with eating or crying. The first night I did this with the feeds she didn't wake or cry at all, confirming her night waking a were caused by her nursing. But I understand if you don't want to set an alarm ... But I did and it worked.

My LO was nursing 3 hourly on the dot and at 6 months I'd had enough lol