+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is my almost two year olds behaviour normal?

I am just looking for a little reassurance. DS is 21 months. He doesn't speak very well. I think he speaks more words than he lets on. At the moment he does this horrible whine noise and points if he wants something or poohs and says 'more'

He hardly communicates besides that.ivf been trying to hold things back to encourage words but he just throws a tantrum. He will throw a 2 minute tantrum to avoid saying 'ta' on fact if you ask him to say a word he won't.

I wa sore pared for tantrums an I admit I am lucky as they don't seem to go for long. I am sturgi g he doesn't listen to reason. I can't say just one more mouthful or pick up your book first then you can have some juice. He just does what he wants and NEVER listens. I I say come here he runs I the opposite direction if I say sit down be stands up

I do feel he understands to a degree as however I don't know how much as sometimes I will say something and he will not even show any sign of acknowledgement.

Tell me is this normal? Will he improve soon. I just see other 2 year olds with better speech and reasoning. Even some kids younger. I just can't see this improving much before he is two.

I have just had a other baby and I'm sure eel deprivation is not helping but I n finding it so hard to be around him like this. I just need some hope on the horizon.

I can't do time outs as he just ignores me - I tap his hand on occasion at rsmt naughty things but he doesn't care. Sometimes if I putt a really serious voice it might take him back a bit if I don't ways want to be growing at him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you are really worried about his speech, take him to your GP or find about about speech pathologists in your area.

As for the behaviour, it's very much like an almost 2 year olds. I would recommend distraction. It can be very difficult and frustrating sometimes.

Try not to yell unless of course he's in danger, and smacking has been proven to ineffective.

Focus on the little victories and try to enjoy him rather then control. That's what I do.

That's not to say you shouldn't have good boundaries.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It all sounds like pretty normal 2 yo behaviour to me. DS1 didn't say his first proper word until 20 months. A few months after that he had probably 20 words and by 2 he was talking in very short sentances, but it was difficult to understand a lot of what he said. He's now 2.5 and I can not shush him up!!! He talks and talks and talks non-stop all day. You can look into speech pathologists, but also a bit of time can make a massive difference.

I would try to encourage speech, but not push it to the point of him getting so frustrated he's throwing a tantrum. Just talk lots and read lots to him. DS1 would do the whole pointing and grunting thing for ages, even though he could say what he wanted he often chose to communicate without words. That changed pretty quickly and once he was talking better I encouraged more use of words and didn't respond to his grunts!

At 21 months they have pretty selective hearing. If you want your LO to pick up toys before juice or something, I would say 'ok, lets go clean up your toys first' and do it with him - he's more likely to participate then and you're setting the example of what you want. And as pp mentioned, distraction is great. At that age I could say 'stop that' to DS1 until the cows came home and he would just look at me and continue doing what he was doing. If I really wanted him to stop I'd have to ask him to stop and then lead him away to something different/ more appropriate.

Good luck, it can be a tough age. I have found a massive difference in DS1's ability to reason from 2 to now just over 2.5. Just keep at it, patience and perseverance will pay off!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

blondekelli  (10-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, sounds like a two year old. My friend is a speech therapist and she says the rule is - two by two. Meaning can they string two words together by two.
    But if you are worried go to your GP for advice.

I found positive reinforcement was the best. Meaning ignore the bad behaviour and when he does cooperate give him lots and lots of praise. If he picks up a toy say, wow, great work mummy is so happy!! Thank you! You are such a good boy.

Hope that helps!!! And congrats on the new bub!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds exactly like my 21 month old. I agree completely with the advice already given. Positive reinforcement ad distraction. At this age everything is a game to them so go with that rather than against it and you will have less frustration. Babies at this are are working out how to form words. They all do it at a different pace. My 21 month old talks babble all day with only the odd word here and there that you can understand. But he understands everything we say. Not that he follows direction at all. Lol. Hang in there, he will definitely improve as he gets older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, I feel much better knowing other children are/were at a similar stage at this age. I know 3 months can do a lot it just feels like he is not getting any better. Hopefully he will be able to string 2 words together.

Thanks again for you tips to deal with improving his behaviour and the frustration.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't heard "two by two" before. To my memory, DD spoke nothing but repetitive babble at 2, (mumma, baba etc) and now speaks in full sentences at 2.5. So, just keep in mind there is a huge spectrum of "normal". Good luck, two year olds are... fun. Heh.