+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 2mo always congested at night?

Hi all,

My 2mo DS is always badly congested at night. I can't work out why...we have fresh linen, new bassinet and mattress, etc.

Anyway, so we have been trying to relive the congestion by putting a vaporiser in his room, using Fess Little Noses and the snot sucker thing, but nothing really seems to be helping. He is also somewhat contested during the day, but nowhere near as bad. He snores quite often while going to sleep too.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that might help? Is this something that I should take him to a Dr for?

I'm staring to get really concerned as he's now started to make a choking / coughing sound when he sucks it back.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, don't know if its relevant, but he was born 4 weeks early...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you taken him to be checked over by a Dr?

A bit different but my daughter was born via c-section and still had some fluid in her lungs for the first month.
    She ended up having a little bit of a chest infection, she was quite congested and wheezy so it might be worth getting checked out if you haven't already.

In the mean time some phone books under the top cot legs seemed to help the snot drain out instead of to the back of the throat.
    If your little one isn't in a cot yet, just try and elevate him whilst he sleeps.
    It might help with some of the blockages.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! He had his shots last week and the dr checked his chest then and said it all sounded normal, but she wasn't specifically checking for that...and in my sleep deprived haze I totally forgot to ask about it!

My DS was also born via cs, and was put on oxygen for 7 hours after birth, but they gave him the all clear, and he was checked numerous times before we left the hospital 8 days later....so I'm not sure whether it would be that, but I might make an appointment and get them to check it anyway...

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Might be silent reflux... My DS was always congested & was diagnosed with silent reflux...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It could be due to the c-section, my daughter was born via c-section and a midwife told me that babies born vaginally have a lot of mucus pushed out of their lungs as they go through the birth canal but obviously c-section babies don't make that journey so still have mucus in their lungs. It's apparently very common, and it cleared up on its own for my daughter at around 12 weeks.

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is like that exactly, not as bad now but it was bad and she would sometimes choke as if the snot was between her throat and nose.
    I asked the MCHN about it at her 6 wk check up last week and she said its common with babies, espesh during winter because of cold dry air. I tried Fess Little Noses and keeping the house warmer but it seems to have gotten better on its own and i think its cos we had warmer weather lately. The MCHN said it will get better as they mature and its only a worry if it interfers with feeding.
    Good luck and hopefully its nothing too serious .

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by MrsHoward; 09-09-2013 at 01:51.