+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Rupert Murdoch used his media ownership to help the LNP win

Having gone back and looked at the IPA dinner where Tony Abbott shared the stage with Rupert Murdoch, I sort of cannot believe that it seemed so widely acceptable that Rupert Murdoch used his papers as free political advertising for the LNP.....take a look at some of the IPA wish list

• Abolish the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA)
    • Eliminate laws that require radio and television broadcasters to be ‘balanced’
    • Abolish television spectrum licensing and devolve spectrum management to the common law
    • End local content requirements for Australian television stations
    • Eliminate media ownership restrictions
    • Immediately halt construction of the National Broadband Network and privatise any sections that have already been built

This is some of Tony Abbott's speech that night.......

John Howard has said that Rupert Murdoch has been by far Australia’s most influential international businessman; but I would like to go a little further. Along with Sir John Monash, the Commander of the First AIF which saved Paris and helped to win the First World War, and Lord Florey a one-time provost of my old Oxford College, the co-inventor of penicillin that literally saved millions of lives, Rupert Murdoch is probably the Australian who has most shaped the world through the 45 million newspapers that News Corp sells each week and the one billion subscribers to News-linked programming.

Rupert Murdoch has sometimes changed his political allegiance but he’s never changed his fundamental principles. At least since the mid-70’s, those have been greater personal responsibility, smaller government, fewer regulations and support for open societies that don’t build walls against the world.

For our guest of honour, as for anyone deeply steeped in reporting, experience trumps theory and facts trump speculation. His publications have borne his ideals but never his fingerprints. They’ve been skeptical, stoical, curious, adventurous, opinionated yet broad minded. He’s influenced them, but he’s never dictated to them - as I happily discovered myself in 1989 while writing editorials in favour of the pilots who were trying to ground the airline that he then half owned. As a transgression, this turned out to be far less serious than spelling his late great mother, Dame Elisabeth’s name with a ‘z’ rather than with an ‘s’!

Rupert Murdoch is a corporate citizen of many countries, but above all else, he’s one of us. Most especially, tonight, he’s a long-serving director of the IPA, as was his distinguished and celebrated father, Sir Keith.

I kind of can't believe it, how did we let Rupert Murdoch decide who would be our PM?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    In the messy house, Brisbane
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

For me, this just was a part of the whole picture of why I have been raging against the idea of abbott winning.
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 08-09-2013 at 21:26.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (09-09-2013)

Just had to share this
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Attached Images

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (09-09-2013)

Last edited by babybabycakes; 09-09-2013 at 09:39. Reason: Randomly posted to wrong thread. Sorry!