+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Hence the quotation marks

I don't know if you can call it booth TBH. I just had to turn my head to the right or to the left and look at what my neighbors were writing down. Nothing was protecting our privacy.

A joke! I don't care that much as I'm quite vocal about my politic preferences
    I seriously just can't see how you could see what the next person was writing? Unless you're looking over their shoulder?

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1403671870.465378.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (26-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I seriously just can't see how you could see what the next person was writing? Unless you're looking over their shoulder?

Attachment 56961
    Yeah, that's what it is always like when I vote. Definitely can't see what's going on in the next booth.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    well you will have to decide whether to trust me or not on this one ladies! I didn't take a picture of my neighbor bulletin as a proof for BH

all my friends that voted for the first time that day made the same comment too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    here's what a proper one look like
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1403672652.260221.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    well you will have to decide whether to trust me or not on this one ladies! I didn't take a picture of my neighbor bulletin as a proof for BH

all my friends that voted for the first time that day made the same comment too.
    What did they look like though if they didn't use the standard ones?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I realise this thread is old but I didn't participate in it!

I think Australia's voting system is mostly fantastic, in the sense of the the way in which we vote and the votes are counted. Though Senate voting is in need of some serious reforms. I like that we use a Proportional Representation system, and I love that it's a Singe Transferable Vote (a quota system), it may be tedious for counting, but it gets us, as the public, the biggest say in what happens with out vote, so long as we are voting below the line. This is where some reform is needed.

The Senate elections are just SO HUGE, that with candidate numbers below the line reaching into the hundreds, asking the people to vote below the line is just ridiculous. We need to scrap above the line voting all together, because allowing group tickets and party's electing their own preferences is never going to be fair to the Australian public, instead, we need to restrict the numbers of candidates we need to number below the line. Instead of needing to number ALL of the boxes, we should only be required to number as many boxes/candidates as there are Senate seats to be filled.

As for the OP question should voting be compulsory? Absolutely! It may seem like such an arduous task, especially when you feel as though there is no one worth voting for and you have to number many boxes, but the fact is, without compulsory voting, we are not going to ever have a government that is truly representative of the general public. A good example is the US, they have non-compulsory voting, and it is common for less than 50% of the voting population to vote, that right there is not a democratic nation.

However, in saying that, if you feel THAT strongly about not voting, then no one is technically forcing you to actually vote. Sure, you are legally required to turn up to a polling place and have your name crossed off, but you are not legally bound to place a formal vote (though you really should!).
    Last edited by Lillynix; 25-06-2014 at 15:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Lillynix In France I put one name/party as my vote and I do get to decide what happens with my vote.

It's a lot easier to comprehend for everyone.

First round, everyone choose their favorite candidate/party. No need to study about all the parties and how to rank them etc. You only choose your favorite.

Second round is between the 2-3 candidates that had the most votes in the first round. Same process, put only one name in.

I believe the method being idiot/moron proof. No one could pretend they don't understand what they are supposed to do. And no candidate or party own your vote ever.
    Cons is you have to vote twice. But it is also a very quick vote. 3 min in and out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Lillynix In France I put one name/party as my vote and I do get to decide what happens with my vote.

It's a lot easier to comprehend for everyone.

First round, everyone choose their favorite candidate/party. No need to study about all the parties and how to rank them etc. You only choose your favorite.

Second round is between the 2-3 candidates that had the most votes in the first round. Same process, put only one name in.

I believe the method being idiot/moron proof. No one could pretend they don't understand what they are supposed to do. And no candidate or party own your vote ever.
    Cons is you have to vote twice. But it is also a very quick vote. 3 min in and out!
    Yep, I get that, I understand how the French voting system works. It's not a preferential system whereas our system is, so for our vote to TRULY represent us, we need to elect our own preferences, by voting below the line. If you vote above the line, then the party you voted for decides where to send preferences, and often, where they send their top preferences, don't always align with their own party's core beliefs. And unless an individual goes out of their way to do a lot of hunting, the preferences for political Party's is not usually known by the majority of the voters.

No voting system is perfect, and whilst the French system is easy to understand, it does also have it's downsides, just like the rest of them, unfortunately!
    Last edited by Lillynix; 25-06-2014 at 16:20.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (26-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 25-06-2014 at 18:11.