+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Can I ask where you are from and what the system is like there?

(The campaigning for the last few elections has been particularly obnoxious.)
    France.

No politic talk (ie on TV, radio etc) or polls allowed from 2 days before an election.
    One can only vote at one polling place, the closest to your home.
    They check ID against their list, Then you grab an envelop, several ballot papers and you go in a small booth closed by a curtain.

I love that you are able to vote anywhere in Australia though. And that you only need to vote once (in France they are usually 2 rounds as its very hard for one candidate to get over 50% votes from the first round)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (08-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is an odd one. On one hand compelling people to participate in a democracy seems rather undemocratic, on the other hand, it ensures that the system MUST include everyone avoiding situations whereby those who wanted to vote cannot as not enough polling stations were provided due to an expectation of lower demand or similar. It removes one aspect of democracy from our system but protects the overall which, I think, is not a bad compromise. For those who do not wish to vote, or see no point in voting, perhaps it may make sense to include a protest option as my understanding is that all protest votes currently are passed to the incumbent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 24-06-2014 at 23:09.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    It was my first time voting here and the whole process is quite shocking for a developed country…

It is so complicated it is ridiculous. No privacy (ie details of your names and addresses for all to see, anyone can see who you are voting for, etc).
    Being able to vote anywhere in Australia just make the process really heavy.
    Not even checking anyone identity before voting?! It's ludicrous! you should see the amount of paperwork required to enroll my kid at the gym daycare but to vote, nothing?!
    I could actually go and vote several times in the same day how would they know?!

And don't get me started on party's campaigning till the last minute :-/

Keep voting compulsory but maybe make it a little more idiot proof : 1 envelop and a few ballot papers to choose from, each with only 1 name on it. The preference system is unpalatable...
    I'm so confused... What do you mean anyone can see who you are voting for? I find the whole process quite discreet. And if you vote more than once it will definitely show up at some point because you're marked off the electoral roll when you vote.

As for the OP, yes I'm in favour of compulsory voting. Apathy is rife, but complaints tend to be loud... At least this way the complainers know they had their chance :P But seriously, I just take comfort in knowing that the numbers stand their best chance at representing the people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @lambjam yes I could see what the person next to me was writing on his bulletin.
    There should be private booth.

Yes technically it would show at some point if you have vote several times but you are assuming that they compare all paper logs together? Doubt it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    @lambjam yes I could see what the person next to me was writing on his bulletin.
    There should be private booth.

Yes technically it would show at some point if you have vote several times but you are assuming that they compare all paper logs together? Doubt it...
    Well I don't know where you voted but I find the booths very discreet. And small, not big enough to fit the senate paper in.

And not sure if you know but people were caught out voting more than once.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We should vote with a pen, not pencil.

⭐️DS #1 born 15.03.2010⭐️
    ⭐️DS #2 born 16.02.2014⭐️
    ⭐️Me=29 💗 DP=34⭐️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well I don't know where you voted but I find the booths very discreet. And small, not big enough to fit the senate paper in.

And not sure if you know but people were caught out voting more than once.
    If they were stupid enough to vote several times under their own names lol

I am in the Melbourne district. No privacy to put your vote in whatsoever.
    I have noticed that Australians are quite touchy when "foreigners" critic their voting system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If they were stupid enough to vote several times under their own names lol

I am in the Melbourne district. No privacy to put your vote in whatsoever.
    I have noticed that Australians are quite touchy when "foreigners" critic their voting system.
    Since you voted, I don't think you're a foreigner

But I'm curious as to how you could see who someone else was voting for if you were in a cardboard booth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Since you voted, I don't think you're a foreigner
    Hence the quotation marks

I don't know if you can call it booth TBH. I just had to turn my head to the right or to the left and look at what my neighbors were writing down. Nothing was protecting our privacy.

A joke! I don't care that much as I'm quite vocal about my politic preferences