+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you did a dummy vote then you have no right to complain about the state of the country for the next three years in my opinion. Whether or not its mandatory or not every citizen should take it seriously and vote for the future they want - what good does a dummy vote do?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum2b87 For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (08-09-2013),just her chameleon  (08-09-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I think if voting is compulsary the governement should take more care to ensure privacy of our personal details.
    Our details shouldn't be on a public role for all to see!
    I think the AEC needs to get with the times too-having to take time out of your day to go line up forever just to get your name ticked off a list is a massive PITA! Not to mention how environmentally detrimental all that paper used is!
    Why not establish an online voting system ( or maybe that's not possible now that we have a liberal government). It would simplify the process for many and even if you don't give a damn, it won't take a great deal of time out of your day to do an informal or donkey vote.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Online voting is far too open to interference and system failure. During the US election in 08, the voting computers used at polling booths were manufactured by a company owned by a republican member. These machine were set with a default to a vote for bush.

If a person is going to be genuinely disadvantaged by attending a polling place they are able to attend early or request a postal vote.

I very strongly believe in compulsory voting. I don't care if you actually cast a vote but by having your name marked off the role, you are being part of ensuring that there are no outside influences preventing you from casting your vote (in an attempt to subvert the system), which as a citizen you are entitiled to and you pay for as a tax payer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This year is the first year that I've actually voted based on my (limited) knowledge of politics. Other years I've just given my vote to DF and voted for who he does.
    This year I didn't. I voted against who he usually votes for. I feel so naughty.

Anyway, to answer the question, I don't know if it should be compulsory, I don't think it will make a huge difference if it is or isn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Online voting is far too open to interference and system failure. During the US election in 08, the voting computers used at polling booths were manufactured by a company owned by a republican member. These machine were set with a default to a vote for bush.
    If they can put together a safe and secure program/system to lodge your tax online surely they could develop the same for voting?

A paper based version still allows the possible for rigging anyway.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (09-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If they can put together a safe and secure program/system to lodge your tax online surely they could develop the same for voting?

Tax is completely different to voting.

The thing with the internet is that it is very vulnerable. Paper based voting has a paper trail, so even if it is rigged, it is entirely possible to go back and recount everything from the beginning. That wouldn't be possible with internet voting, there would be nothing 'hard' to fall back on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it should be compulsory. I really don't have any interest in politics, though I did try to educate myself for this election. I knew out of the major 2 who I wanted to get in, but after that, I really didn't know what order to put them in so just did it randomly. I feel bad that I potentially gave votes to the party that I didn't want to get in. In the past I have done a donkey vote, so I don't know which is worse.

I think if voting is going to be compulsory, political education in high schools needs to be better. We learnt about politics / government when I was 10, and never again after that. Last week, hubby and I realized be don't even know the difference between house of reps or senate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it should be compulsory.

I would still vote even if it wasn't.

My BIL offers an interesting perspective. He is from Zimbabwe where the political system is a disgusting, dangerous joke. Their elections are a mockery of the word, it is widely accepted that votes are not actually counted, thousands of people 'come back from the dead' to cast votes, and people vote under duress.

He is now an Aussie citizen and couldn't care less about voting. My sis gets frustrated telling him 'you of all people should understand how important this privilege is!'
    He takes the stance 'but really, the results of this election don't matter like they did in Zim. People aren't going to live or die based on which party gets in or who they vote for. And we can all get up in the morning and still have freedom of speech, freedom of religion and access to health care and social support'

He sees our election as picking the better of two goods, not the lesser of two evils like many whinge about.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (08-09-2013),steel magnolia  (08-09-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews

But a secure system doesn't ensure that a person is not unduly prevented from casting their vote.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why do we vote in pencil??

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (09-09-2013),HarvestMoon  (08-09-2013),PlayNice  (08-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If it wasnt compulsory, i wouldnt of voted yesterday as i would of preferred to sleep as i did a night shift on friday night and was so tired come the time i finished on saturday morning.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app