+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

delirium  (08-09-2013),HarvestMoon  (08-09-2013),HugsBunny  (09-09-2013),Jennaisme  (08-09-2013),Joeee  (08-09-2013),MilkingMaid  (12-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (09-09-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (08-09-2013),TableDancer  (09-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So I've read the Liberals policies, not all of them but the vast majority of them. Tony Abbott sums up my worries in a very simple statement. "Australia is once again open for business."
    He has taken large issues and basically broken them down to their dollar. And how he's going to "fix" it. All Liberals policies, at the very core of them, are about money.
    For example, Indigenous Australian families in certain areas will have their payments "frozen" if their children don't attend school.
    This is a policy designed to increase education for them? Yes.. I can see how that would work. (Sarcasm, that last part). There is a heap I'm worried about and if I have to rehash them I really think I'm going to depress myself over his policies again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I first got really concerned about TA when I read about the IPA dinner he attended In April this year where he stated `A Big Yes' to the 75 suggested points. He shared the stage with Rupert Murdoch, Gina Rhineheart and Andrew Bolt was MC. He has already adopted something like 10 of these in his campaign....let's see how many more come out over his term.

• Repeal the carbon tax, and don’t replace it. It will be one thing to remove the burden of the carbon tax from the Australian economy. But if it is just replaced by another costly scheme, most of the benefits will be undone.
    • Abolish the Department of Climate Change
    • Abolish the Clean Energy Fund
    • Repeal Section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act
    • Abandon Australia’s bid for a seat on the United Nations Security Council
    • Repeal the renewable energy target
    • Return income taxing powers to the states
    • Abolish the Commonwealth Grants Commission
    • Abolish the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
    • Withdraw from the Kyoto Protocol
    • Introduce fee competition to Australian universities
    • Repeal the National Curriculum
    • Introduce competing private secondary school curriculums
    • Abolish the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA)
    • Eliminate laws that require radio and television broadcasters to be ‘balanced’
    • Abolish television spectrum licensing and devolve spectrum management to the common law
    • End local content requirements for Australian television stations
    • Eliminate family tax benefits
    • Abandon the paid parental leave scheme
    • Means-test Medicare
    • End all corporate welfare and subsidies by closing the Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research and Tertiary Education
    • Introduce voluntary voting
    • End mandatory disclosures on political donations
    • End media blackout in final days of election campaigns
    • End public funding to political parties
    • Remove anti-dumping laws
    • Eliminate media ownership restrictions
    • Abolish the Foreign Investment Review Board
    • Eliminate the National Preventative Health Agency
    • Cease subsidising the car industry
    • Formalise a one-in, one-out approach to regulatory reduction
    • Rule out federal funding for 2018 Commonwealth Games
    • Deregulate the parallel importation of books
    • End preferences for Industry Super Funds in workplace relations laws
    • Legislate a cap on government spending and tax as a percentage of GDP
    • Legislate a balanced budget amendment which strictly limits the size of budget deficits and the period the federal government can be in deficit
    • Force government agencies to put all of their spending online in a searchable database
    • Repeal plain packaging for cigarettes and rule it out for all other products, including alcohol and fast food
    • Reintroduce voluntary student unionism at universities
    • Introduce a voucher scheme for secondary schools
    • Repeal the alcopops tax
    • Introduce a special economic zone in the north of Australia including:
    • a) Lower personal income tax for residents
    • b) Significantly expanded 457 Visa programs for workers
    • c) Encourage the construction of dams
    • Repeal the mining tax
    • Devolve environmental approvals for major projects to the states
    • Introduce a single rate of income tax with a generous tax-free threshold
    • Cut company tax to an internationally competitive rate of 25 per cent
    • Cease funding the Australia Network
    • Privatise Australia Post
    • Privatise Medibank
    • Break up the ABC and put out to tender each individual function
    • Privatise SBS
    • Reduce the size of the public service from current levels of more than 260,000 to at least the 2001 low of 212,784
    • Repeal the Fair Work Act
    • Allow individuals and employers to negotiate directly terms of employment that suit them
    • Encourage independent contracting by overturning new regulations designed to punish contractors
    • Abolish the Baby Bonus
    • Abolish the First Home Owners’ Grant
    • Allow the Northern Territory to become a state
    • Halve the size of the Coalition front bench from 32 to 16
    • Remove all remaining tariff and non-tariff barriers to international trade
    • Slash top public servant salaries to much lower international standards, like in the United States
    • End all public subsidies to sport and the arts
    • Privatise the Australian Institute of Sport
    • End all hidden protectionist measures, such as preferences for local manufacturers in government tendering
    • Abolish the Office for Film and Literature Classification
    • Rule out any government-supported or mandated internet censorship
    • Means test tertiary student loans
    • Allow people to opt out of superannuation in exchange for promising to forgo any government income support in retirement
    • Immediately halt construction of the National Broadband Network and privatise any sections that have already been built
    • End all government funded Nanny State advertising
    • Reject proposals for compulsory food and alcohol labelling
    • Privatise the CSIRO
    • Defund Harmony Day
    • Close the Office for Youth
    • Privatise the Snowy-Hydro Scheme

Here are some direct quotes from the speech he made that night.....
    n the Garden of Eden that Adam and Eve could do almost as they pleased but freedom turned out to have its limits and its abuses, as this foundational story makes only too clear. Yet without freedom we can hardly be human; hardly be worthy of creation in the image of God. From the Garden of Eden, to the Exodus, Athenian democracy, the Roman Senate, Magna Carta, the glorious revolution and American independence, the story of our civilisation has been the story of freedom and our struggles to achieve it.
    Freedom, ladies and gentlemen, is what we yearn for but it can only exist within a framework of law so that every person’s freedom is consistent with the same freedom for everyone else. This is what the poet Tennyson meant when he described England as “a land of just and old renown, a land of settled government where freedom broadens slowly down from precedent to precedent”. At least in the English speaking tradition, liberalism and conservatism, love of freedom and respect for due process, have been easy allies.

The IPA, I want to say, has been freedom’s discerning friend. It has supported capitalism, but capitalism with a conscience. Not for the IPA, a single-minded dogmatism or opposition to all restraint; rather a sophisticated appreciation that freedom requires a social context and that much is expected from those to whom so much has been given. You’ve understood that freedom is both an end and a means; a good in itself, as well as necessary for full human flourishing.

John, there is one campaign where you will not prevail – namely your urgent advice to me in the IPA Review last August to be more like Gough Whitlam. You had a great deal of advice for me in that particular issue and I want to assure you that the Coalition will indeed repeal the carbon tax, abolish the Department of Climate Change, abolish the Clean Energy Fund. We will repeal Section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act, at least in its current form. We will abolish new health and environmental bureaucracies. We will deliver $1 billion in red tape savings every year. We will develop northern Australia. We will repeal the mining tax. We will create a one stop shop for environmental approvals. We will privatise Medibank Private. We will trim the public service and we will stop throwing good money after bad on the NBN.

So, ladies and gentlemen, this is a special night. This is a night to renew our commitment, to renew our faith. In a hundred years’ time, all of us will be gone but, please God, not the ideals and the great causes for which we stand. May it be said of us that we have passed the torch of freedom to our successors; which we do by supporting an organisation that’s bigger than any of us and that can outlive all of us.

Yes...I am worried

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (09-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I thought some of you might like this

Sent from my telecommunications device.
    Attached Images

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (08-09-2013),HugsBunny  (09-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Scary

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I want to cry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Deleted

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awful hoping so bad that it's only 3 years

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I first got really concerned about TA when I read about the IPA dinner he attended In April this year where he stated `A Big Yes' to the 75 suggested points. He shared the stage with Rupert Murdoch, Gina Rhineheart and Andrew Bolt was MC. He has already adopted something like 10 of these in his campaign....let's see how many more come out over his term.
    • Repeal the carbon tax, and don’t replace it. It will be one thing to remove the burden of the carbon tax from the Australian economy. But if it is just replaced by another costly scheme, most of the benefits will be undone.
    • Abolish the Department of Climate Change
    • Abolish the Clean Energy Fund
    • Repeal Section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act
    • Abandon Australia’s bid for a seat on the United Nations Security Council
    • Repeal the renewable energy target
    • Return income taxing powers to the states
    • Abolish the Commonwealth Grants Commission
    • Abolish the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
    • Withdraw from the Kyoto Protocol
    • Introduce fee competition to Australian universities
    • Repeal the National Curriculum
    • Introduce competing private secondary school curriculums
    • Abolish the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA)
    • Eliminate laws that require radio and television broadcasters to be ‘balanced’
    • Abolish television spectrum licensing and devolve spectrum management to the common law
    • End local content requirements for Australian television stations
    • Eliminate family tax benefits
    • Abandon the paid parental leave scheme
    • Means-test Medicare
    • End all corporate welfare and subsidies by closing the Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research and Tertiary Education
    • Introduce voluntary voting
    • End mandatory disclosures on political donations
    • End media blackout in final days of election campaigns
    • End public funding to political parties
    • Remove anti-dumping laws
    • Eliminate media ownership restrictions
    • Abolish the Foreign Investment Review Board
    • Eliminate the National Preventative Health Agency
    • Cease subsidising the car industry
    • Formalise a one-in, one-out approach to regulatory reduction
    • Rule out federal funding for 2018 Commonwealth Games
    • Deregulate the parallel importation of books
    • End preferences for Industry Super Funds in workplace relations laws
    • Legislate a cap on government spending and tax as a percentage of GDP
    • Legislate a balanced budget amendment which strictly limits the size of budget deficits and the period the federal government can be in deficit
    • Force government agencies to put all of their spending online in a searchable database
    • Repeal plain packaging for cigarettes and rule it out for all other products, including alcohol and fast food
    • Reintroduce voluntary student unionism at universities
    • Introduce a voucher scheme for secondary schools
    • Repeal the alcopops tax
    • Introduce a special economic zone in the north of Australia including:
    • a) Lower personal income tax for residents
    • b) Significantly expanded 457 Visa programs for workers
    • c) Encourage the construction of dams
    • Repeal the mining tax
    • Devolve environmental approvals for major projects to the states
    • Introduce a single rate of income tax with a generous tax-free threshold
    • Cut company tax to an internationally competitive rate of 25 per cent
    • Cease funding the Australia Network
    • Privatise Australia Post
    • Privatise Medibank
    • Break up the ABC and put out to tender each individual function
    • Privatise SBS
    • Reduce the size of the public service from current levels of more than 260,000 to at least the 2001 low of 212,784
    • Repeal the Fair Work Act
    • Allow individuals and employers to negotiate directly terms of employment that suit them
    • Encourage independent contracting by overturning new regulations designed to punish contractors
    • Abolish the Baby Bonus
    • Abolish the First Home Owners’ Grant
    • Allow the Northern Territory to become a state
    • Halve the size of the Coalition front bench from 32 to 16
    • Remove all remaining tariff and non-tariff barriers to international trade
    • Slash top public servant salaries to much lower international standards, like in the United States
    • End all public subsidies to sport and the arts
    • Privatise the Australian Institute of Sport
    • End all hidden protectionist measures, such as preferences for local manufacturers in government tendering
    • Abolish the Office for Film and Literature Classification
    • Rule out any government-supported or mandated internet censorship
    • Means test tertiary student loans
    • Allow people to opt out of superannuation in exchange for promising to forgo any government income support in retirement
    • Immediately halt construction of the National Broadband Network and privatise any sections that have already been built
    • End all government funded Nanny State advertising
    • Reject proposals for compulsory food and alcohol labelling
    • Privatise the CSIRO
    • Defund Harmony Day
    • Close the Office for Youth
    • Privatise the Snowy-Hydro Scheme
    Here are some direct quotes from the speech he made that night.....
    n the Garden of Eden that Adam and Eve could do almost as they pleased but freedom turned out to have its limits and its abuses, as this foundational story makes only too clear. Yet without freedom we can hardly be human; hardly be worthy of creation in the image of God. From the Garden of Eden, to the Exodus, Athenian democracy, the Roman Senate, Magna Carta, the glorious revolution and American independence, the story of our civilisation has been the story of freedom and our struggles to achieve it.
    Freedom, ladies and gentlemen, is what we yearn for but it can only exist within a framework of law so that every person’s freedom is consistent with the same freedom for everyone else. This is what the poet Tennyson meant when he described England as “a land of just and old renown, a land of settled government where freedom broadens slowly down from precedent to precedent”. At least in the English speaking tradition, liberalism and conservatism, love of freedom and respect for due process, have been easy allies.

The IPA, I want to say, has been freedom’s discerning friend. It has supported capitalism, but capitalism with a conscience. Not for the IPA, a single-minded dogmatism or opposition to all restraint; rather a sophisticated appreciation that freedom requires a social context and that much is expected from those to whom so much has been given. You’ve understood that freedom is both an end and a means; a good in itself, as well as necessary for full human flourishing.

John, there is one campaign where you will not prevail – namely your urgent advice to me in the IPA Review last August to be more like Gough Whitlam. You had a great deal of advice for me in that particular issue and I want to assure you that the Coalition will indeed repeal the carbon tax, abolish the Department of Climate Change, abolish the Clean Energy Fund. We will repeal Section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act, at least in its current form. We will abolish new health and environmental bureaucracies. We will deliver $1 billion in red tape savings every year. We will develop northern Australia. We will repeal the mining tax. We will create a one stop shop for environmental approvals. We will privatise Medibank Private. We will trim the public service and we will stop throwing good money after bad on the NBN.

So, ladies and gentlemen, this is a special night. This is a night to renew our commitment, to renew our faith. In a hundred years’ time, all of us will be gone but, please God, not the ideals and the great causes for which we stand. May it be said of us that we have passed the torch of freedom to our successors; which we do by supporting an organisation that’s bigger than any of us and that can outlive all of us.

Yes...I am worried
    Wonderful. :'(
    All they care about is lining their pockets.
    I feel very sorry for the Australian people who have been duped by the media into voting for Abbott and Co.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (09-09-2013)