+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    1) Education reforms. The libs' policy is short changing students by not agreeing to the full gonski funding meaning children are losing out on $7.2 billion. There is no long term commitment by this new government.

2) Stop the Boats. This is disgusting policy on both sides. I feel the libs have been paramount in demonising boat people. I also do not like how they won't release any information on boat arrivals. In think it's sly.

3) NBN

4) tax free threshold - well this will impact many people. Pensioners and other low income earners will be affected. I certainly benefited from the TFT this year, I thought I was going to have a debt when in fact I ended up getting 2.5k back. Half of my income this year was tax free.

5) I am a bit scared by how much the unions will be dismantled. I think collective bargaining is a good thing.

6) if coalition state governments are giving us any indication of what a federal conservative government wil be like then we are in trouble.

No the sky won't fall in, but it didn't fall in when the carbon tax came in. It doesn't cost $20 for a roast and Whyalla has not been wiped off the map!

Scare mongering hasn't been one sided!
    Last edited by BigRedV; 08-09-2013 at 06:23.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (09-09-2013),meljemillie  (08-09-2013),snowqu33n  (08-09-2013),Star81  (08-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (08-09-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't think many people will be interested in documenting their fears so we can have a big 'i told you so' fest in 6 months time.
    My fears are for the things that aren't going to happen, so I don't know how we can measure the effects of negative action.
    -no carbon tax. I'm not 100% convinced that a carbon tax is the way to go, but I am convinced that a Coalition Government will do little to nothing to address climate change.
    -no conscience vote on same sex marriage
    -rolling back/halting reforms to child care
    -reducing refugee intake
    -half-ar$ed NBN
    -not honoring school funding to the full amount

I see very little action in the policies laid out by the Liberal Party. I find it all extremely uninspiring and some of it downright heartless. I'm not sure many of us will be measurably worse off (we may be, I don't know) but immeasurably, as a nation I think in 3 years time we will be far far behind where we should be, and I think that is an awful shame.
    And I agree with Sonja that Abbott will be an international laughing stock.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (08-09-2013),HugsBunny  (09-09-2013),mummabec  (08-09-2013),snowqu33n  (08-09-2013),VanityFey  (08-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (08-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh and Abbott's first lie is "I will govern for all Australians!"

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (08-09-2013),HugsBunny  (09-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (08-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Oh and Abbott's first lie is "I will govern for all Australians!"
    I also noticed in his speech that he said "I will stop the boats"

As the AFR wrote today:
    "Abbott has promised to stop the boats, and to use the navy to turn back boats to Indonesian waters. However, there are few details on how that will be done."

The Navy have tried this before (turning the boats back), and it hasn't worked.

As far as I'm aware, once a boat is unseaworthy and lives are at risk (which could happen if the vessel is damaged on purpose), it can't legally be turned back.
    Last edited by 1234Guest; 08-09-2013 at 07:20.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 1234Guest For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (08-09-2013),HappyBovinexx  (08-09-2013),HugsBunny  (09-09-2013),JungleMum  (08-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The biggest policy to effect pur family is the tax free threshold limit. I will pay much more tax if it drops to 6k. To the point where after CC I am working for less than $80/day. So the stress of dropping two kids off then traffic, maintaining a second car, uniforms, lunches etc there is no financial incentive to work.

Child care reforms.

School funding. Tho usually the coalition favours private schools so maybe its not too bad.

NBN - I could work from home if the internet was faster.....

I support SS marriage. Why should only heterosexual couples get divorced?

I support the carbon tax. Do you guys really think that everyone will now actually drop their prices?

The idea that Australia is going to reduce its refugee intake really upsets me under a coalition govt. People will die! But since they aren't WASPS I guess abbot doesn't care.

Abbots ability to mix in his own beliefs into politics. Remember the RU 486 drama when he was a health minister?

Abbots PPL favours FT or PT workers but not casual or contract.... So it will effect once again low income earners as they often are casual or contract workers.

Bah! I'm feeling sick to the stomach today.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (09-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ok. Ill bite.

1. Childcare reform. Affects me directly when I resume work from mat leave that starts next week. Family daycare australua have not yet recieved their slice of the $300 million wage reform package which will no longer be honoured.
    Our ratios will go up to 5 children under school age on care- more work, programming, paperwork and regulatory req's for less pay.

2. Tax free threshold. I earned $16.5k last year. It's just enough to balance our family income. With the change to tax free threshold I loose a portion of that income meaning we literally have less on the table each week.

3. If they bring in their ppl scheme before bub is here I get less because my income is so low.

4. Aged care. Libs quietly scrapped their agreement with new reforms and conditions. My parents are moving into aged care within the year

5. I'm worried about womens rights and repealing the parameters within abortion laws. as a carrier for a non life compatible genetic condition if the these laws change having another child has a 1 in 4 chance of killing me and my unborn child.

im also worried and angry about the environmental impacts, old growth forests in tas, coal seam mining, removal of environmental protections eg barrier reef. Climate change. I'm dissapointed that same sex marriage will fall by the wayside, its a human rights issue that shouldn't be swept aside.
    Im angry about the nbn. It's archaic, costly and already behind a lot of the world and will need to be replaced at additional cost.
    I'm angry and disapointed at the asylum seeker policy.its b.arbaric and goes against international treaties we signed.
    Last edited by babybabycakes; 08-09-2013 at 07:20.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babybabycakes For This Useful Post:

1234Guest  (08-09-2013),HugsBunny  (09-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (08-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Foreign aid cuts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work part time currently-so this financial year, and most likely the next I earn under 18k so any lowering of this will mean I have to work more and put my kids in child care another day a week

not having the nbn will effect my dh's work greatly! He and his bosses are waiting with baited breath to see if its a positive or negative impact.

on a larger scale- my very morbid grandfather liked to remind me that under liberal his wealth should do better, meaning my inheritance will swell love him, just wish he would stop talking about dying

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (09-09-2013),Jenga  (08-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    NDIS gone.
    Gonski gone.
    NBN gone.
    Penalty rates WILL be cut for a lot of Australians working in jobs such as retail and hospitality.
    Funding to public schooling will be decreased.
    There will be other cuts to education such as a cut to teacher aide time and scrapping some of the programs targeting the children who have a low attendance rate, are in the special education unit or are of a background that's seen as at risk.
    There will be cuts to our public hospitals. Nursing staff will lose hours. Many will become unemloyed. Waiting lists in the public system will be increased. There will be less access to mental health services under Medicare.
    12,000 jobs will be cut in the next month. That's a lot of people suddenly unemployed.

How will this affect me? Well, I choose private schooling and have an above average child who doesn't have a need for the extra programs available at the public schools. We don't get sick all that often, and this pregnancy is through the private system. While I have been seeing a psychologist this year, that's covered by VOC and I don't think it will be necessary to continue seeing one in the future. I work in the type of job where we are paid well and while we have never had penalty rates, we have had other little luxuries thrown in for our troubles when working evenings and weekends.

So really, this won't affect me personally. However, it will affect a lot of other people within the country so that should affect us all.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Secret of Cleo For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (09-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (08-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I'm not creally concerned about any of that. DH and I hae a very high combined income and will be better off under a coalition government.

My reasons for not voting for LNP were to do with the carbon tax (I support it), a conscience vote on gay marriage (I also support that) and my concerns about the coalition border protection policies. LNP also don't have a strong history of supporting environmental issues (TA doesn't believe in climate change) which worries me greatly. I don't like the fact he doesn't support education reform, and I don't agree with his ongoing support of private schools (even though all 4 of my children will ultimately be privately educated).

Thses are just a few off the top of my head while I'm breast feeding.

Ultimately though I just loathe him personally, and I think he will be an enormous embarrassment on the world stage. It would be like if Sarah Palin was elected. He's not smart, and I don't think there's much talent in the shadow cabinet.

But ultimately though I personally found Australia got a little bit meaner under the Howard government, and I don't want to go there again. Xenophobia breeds more wildly under the LNP government. I also don't like the sense of individual progression at the sake of the community.

Are these the sorts of things you had in mind?
    Could have written this!

We will be financially better off under Abbott but didn't vote for him for all the reasons you said. Commitment to public transport is also an important issue to me.

Liberal's approach, or lack thereof, to climate change is particularly embarrassing. Cannot believe we will be going backwards. What a laughing stock we must be to the rest of the world who are proactively trying to address these issues instead of sticking their heads in the sand.