+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Choosing private health insurance

Hi everyone,

My partner and I are wanting to start trying for a baby in the next few months, so I have started looking into private health insurance. I don't care too much for the extras just definitely want to be covered for pregnancy.

I was hoping someone from Melbourne could help me share their experience (the good and the bad) with their chosen phi. I am leading towards NIB, as I have heard good things about them however, I'm open to any insurance that can benefit pregnancy in any way.

Thank you all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not in Melbourne or with your fund but just wanted to say that sometimes the extras can be good too whilst pregnant. I had some of the costs of accupunture and massages covered ( life savers for me whilst pregnant) and will have some physio covered too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not in Melbourne but just remember that you will need to serve a 12 month waiting period on obstetric cover with majority (if not all) of PHI companies. As far as I'm aware you can't claim the cost of obstetric appts at this time until the waiting period is served.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm in Melb.
    I was with Medibank, and the positives was quick phone customer service. Negative was not much back on dental and expensive.

Now I'm with HCF. Phone customer service is only a tad slower, however I got more back on dental and even my optometrist said its one of the better funds. It was cheaper than Medibank too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can't claim the cost of obstetric appts at all under phi. Phi only covers I'm hospital costs- the birth and hospital stay pretty much.

most do have a 12 month waiting period, but that's 12 before the birth, not before getting pregnant. So as long as you have if for 3ish months before falling pregnant then you won't have an issue claiming.

ive been with bupa, medibank and NIb all were pretty similar nib had the best customer service so they get my vote

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by F&A View Post
    You can't claim the cost of obstetric appts at all under phi. Phi only covers I'm hospital costs- the birth and hospital stay pretty much.
    Haven't had babies yet so I'm not all up on what you can/can't claim, but if you do go private check whether your obstetrician is happy to take your care while you're not yet covered if you haven't served your 12month waiting period. If something were to happen (prem labour/delivery) before your time was served you would either have to switch to public or fork out lots of money. I have cared for women who have had to switch from private to public mid pregnancy as their phi hadn't kicked in yet. Your other option is to go public initially but see if your favoured obstetrician is happy to accept a late referral once your phi kicks in. That way if there are any complications you're covered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I am trying to choose a phi provider at the moment too. I never wanted it for babies as I didn't want an ob and the public system was great for maternity. I'm finding the public system dismal in other areas now so am getting it for all seven of us as I never want any of my children or dh to be in the position I am currently in.

I am leaning towards nib as its the cheapest at $294 a month.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have hcf and do well with them. Its one of phi a lot of hospitals like as they work so easily with the hospitals and for the claimant. I have 2 completely free dental checks and cleans a yr and eye examinations are free also with well discounted glasses but i dont need them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

shell'80 is offline <3<3TTC our first little cherub<3<3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi ya!! I work in a dental surgery on reception and I do a lot of claims for out patients. The best health insurance I've noticed is Frank and also nib.
    I'm with Bupa it's a lil pricey but I have top hospital, so I'm never out of pocket.