+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help.... Wind or Reflux

Hi everyone, I really need some advice, im going crazy.My daughter is 5 weeks old and is having feeding/sleeping problems. She has been bottle fed since birth because of face trauma during birth. She was vomiting constantly after every feed, so I switched her formula to karicare aptimal AR. Since then there has been no vomiting. But also since birth she has been uncomfortable during and after feeds. I thought it was wind as its really quite hard to even get the smallest burp out of her during and after feeds. She seems quite content during the day until it comes to feed time, she will drink around half her bottle and start squirming. I will burp her, but after that she refuses to drink any more, and continues squirming for around half hour. The nights are much worse, she normally wakes between 1 and 3 for a feed, but cant seem to go back to sleep because she is in pain? Her eyes will be closed but she is wriggling and grunting and letting out little cries. I have tried all the wind drops, infants friend, gripe water but nothing seems to work. I cant get into the docs for over a week, and I don't think I can wait that long. I have also raised the end of her cot. I have read I could try Mylanta to maybe see if that helps, which would point to reflux rather than just wind, but am unsure. Anyone been through anything similar??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, my DD has just been diagnosed with silent reflux at 14 weeks. Sounds like it could be, maybe try infant gaviscon powder in her bottles for a week and see if it makes a difference. We noticed a dramatic improvement in DD after doing this which confirmed it for us. Can make them a bit constipated though so just keep an eye on that. We tried mylanta and it did make a difference, but she also tended to spit it all out! Gaviscon is easier as it is in their bottles. We have also elevated her cot 30deg and are keeping her upright for 20 mins after a feed. Good luck, it horrible when their in pain

Thanks
    Reviews
    The doctor today recommended infant gaviscon. although its says on the box not to use with thickened formula, and she is on karicare AR. I don't want to change formulas until I know if the gaviscon has made a difference. Im at a loss at the moment, I really don't want to make things worse.....This parenting business is so confussing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmmm, can you call your GP back and ask? Our GP said not to use gaviscon and thickened formula as a) they won't be able to drink it and b) it will make them constipated. You may also need bigger teats for the gaviscon as it is quite thick, we found the Avent no3 were ok. I know it is all so confusing! We are now on Zantac which is making a noticeable difference, better than gaviscon although she still isn't 'right'. Have a referral to a paediatrician now to investigate intolerances as the cause of the reflux. I hope you are able to get back in touch with your GP...