+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No, I think in today's society that wealth is definitely coveted. We have a society that seems to revere the wealthy,and celebrate obscene spending and wealth. Look at magazines and reality television shows, it's seen a a measure of success.

There are some wealthy people I really admire, because of their personal attitude and what they do for the community. Then there are those I don't who I see as liars who will take advantage of anyone they can and exploit whoever to get more money. The people that have no empathy for others make me sad.

I do feel society had changed a lot and due to globalization the rise of the market place and the focus on individuality rather then the collective that we have seen a rise in the hatred and contempt of poor to even middle class people. We are so quick to label people as lazy rather then question structural inequality.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Ana and Benji, do you really mean that were someone to ask you 'how much would a graduate engineer/ a middle manager in the public service/an unqualified childcare worker/a GP earn?' You wouldn't be able to even take a stab at what it might be? Or do you just mean that it's not something you think about?

Btw Benji my MIL is the same, low income, fabulous holidays. I am jealous of her jetsetting ways.
    Nope, couldn't answer that question at all. I have no clue what any of those examples make. It's just not something I am interested in at all. I don't know why.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I'm with you Benji. I have no idea what sort of income any of my friends or family make. I have no idea what my parents make and I live with them.
    I wouldn't have a clue what out friends earn. We moved to Perth over 2 years ago so all our friends here we've only known for a few years and it never gets raised. DH and I are on high salaries but our cars are old and our house is basic. We have friends here with boats, new cars and who go overseas every year who probably earn less than us but have different priorities.

I guess sometimes I'm curious about how others afford things but mainly I don't really care. Like I said earlier it's interesting to see how others make a living and can still do school drop offs etc. but that's about the extent of my interest.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry OP I have taken your thread and run in a completely other direction
    I'm so surprised that money is considered a taboo and vulgar subject. I've never come across it and didn't think it was an issue in Australia. I've always freely told people 'i'll be getting an x amount tax return' or 'DP is getting an x amount bonus' or 'we have to pay and extra whopping x amount on our body corp fees' it would feel completely unnatural to me not to mention those things.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Whoa, whoa, I never said it was vulgar and it isn't taboo for me. It is just not something I am interested in. There are tons of other things to talk about I guess.

If you said those things, it wouldn't change my opinion of you. I just wouldn't find the conversation that interesting

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Whoa, whoa, I never said it was vulgar and it isn't taboo for me. It is just not something I am interested in. There are tons of other things to talk about I guess.

If you said those things, it wouldn't change my opinion of you. I just wouldn't find the conversation that interesting
    No, no I wasn't talking about what you said, i was referring to some previous posts that have mentioned that speaking of money was something that just wasn't 'done' in their households growing up, that it was something that was considered vulgar and taboo.

Someone mentioned that the rule in their family was no talk of money, religion or politics. I wonder what's left to discuss? Football? if that rule was enforced in my family we would all be left staring mutely at each other!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

PlayNice  (07-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Someone mentioned that the rule in their family was no talk of money, religion or politics. I wonder what's left to discuss? Football? if that rule was enforced in my family we would all be left staring mutely at each other!
    I'm poor, my parents are well off. I'm atheist, my parents have some religious leanings. I vote Green, my parents vote Liberal.

Guess what is big in this house? Yep, you guessed it, football

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (07-09-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (07-09-2013),PlayNice  (07-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't find it that interesting either. I have friends that have completely paid off their homes , are double income families yet don't like going to expensive restaurants or paying for their children to do one off expensive activities. I'm a single mum, work as a nurse , rent and think nothing of blowing my tax cheque on a interstate holiday...

We are all different and quite frankly I also think its a bit wierd to discuss money...I find it tiring, if you have it great, if you don't that would make me uncomfortable to discuss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Well my father was a communist and my mother a member of the ALP. All we talked about was politics and science. All the bl00dy time. We never discussed money as my parents didn't have much and wouldn't have spent it anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ana and Benji, do you really mean that were someone to ask you 'how much would a graduate engineer/ a middle manager in the public service/an unqualified childcare worker/a GP earn?' You wouldn't be able to even take a stab at what it might be? Or do you just mean that it's not something you think about?

Btw Benji my MIL is the same, low income, fabulous holidays. I am jealous of her jetsetting ways.
    I'm jealous of them as well... I never inherited the amazing money management skills unfortunately.

Hmm I really don't know how to answer because I just don't really think of it. I would imagine incomes within the same industries could vary depending on employers. I guess if someone has a really amazing, amazing house I would be inclined to think they are doing well for themselves but dollar amounts I wouldn't have a clue.

I don't have an issue with discussions amongst friends who are all comfortable discussing finances btw it's actually mostly here that I have been put off a bit by some of the finance conversations.