+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Kitty- i lubs u

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    It makes me feel uncomfortable when people talk about it, Biscotti was referring to a social situation and talking about how much you earn and I just don't get why people do that in social situations. I've been asked by people too and it makes me feel weird being asked that too. Why do people talk about it?

Maybe gross was the wrong word.
    I don't see it that way, maybe because in my social circle we are all on a fairly even par, so we all know how much each other earns and how much our mortgages are, etc. It's just another topic of conversation. For eg, I was talking to a friend who has been head hunted who was telling me the money she has been offered is a fair bit more than what she's on now (she gave me dollar amounts) but the work is not as interesting. She is in a similar field to my DP, so I was telling her what he earned at that level. It would seem extremely unnatural to be coy about it in those sorts of situations. Just like if one of us buys a house, it's always disclosed what it was bought for.
    I'm quite surprised people still think talking about money is distasteful. Seems a bit quaint to me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (07-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    And now I work for myself I do find people ask me what I earn because they're fascinated to know if I can actually make a living doing what I do. I must admit since becoming a parent and wanting a better work / life balance I am more curious about how people afford certain things as I want to be able to work less and earn the same amount of money

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't mind if it's relevant to a conversation if somebody brings up earnings.. I think most people are a bit put off by the bubhub-esque conversations where there are loads of genuinely struggling families and people will stomp about and carry on about how "hard they worked" for their wealth and anybody else could achieve it no matter what.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (06-09-2013),ChickyBee  (07-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (06-09-2013),misskittyfantastico  (06-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    It's interesting and I often wonder if it's just a western thing as whenever I've spent time in parts of Asia people ask you quite upfront what you do and how much you earn. It's not seen as private at all. And it's not bragging. People seem very interested in knowing what others earn in the same way they'd ask what you paid for your house or how much rent you pay.

It was quite confronting the first few times I was asked until I realised they didn't want to do anything with the information - they weren't trying to make themselves feel better, or trying to belittle me by then telling me how much they earned. It was just a question.
    I definitely think it has to do with my parents telling us, don't talk about religion, politics or money but mainly politics and money. Maybe a hang over from my child hood.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Mathermy  (06-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    See I avoid the money threads like a case of crabs. I think it's extremely tacky to disclose your income in an environment where you know people are often struggling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Kitty- i lubs u
    Lubs you two.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I wouldn't say gross and I'm sorry but I think people talking about their incomes is knobby.... Opening the door to people judging a persona worth by their income.
    I think caring about what other people wish to talk about is kinda knobby. Why not think the people judging them are knobby, rather than the people who disclose their income?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I definitely think it has to do with my parents telling us, don't talk about religion, politics or money but mainly politics and money. Maybe a hang over from my child hood.
    I definitely think that's part of it. My parents would have thought it "gouache".

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hmm yes. Kind of like eating a cheesburger infront of a chubby on a treadmill. *evil eyes dh*

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Benji  (06-09-2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast