+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Today I started reading the jan/feb/march 2014 thread and found it helpful. Thanks Pilbara. Thanks Virgomama and ck2b also for your input.
    Butterfly I think after all the money I've spent on ivf, $900 is a drop in the ocean. (Ive really got to start saving money , though)
    One consolation is at least it's not $1200.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If this had been available when pg either time i would have paid that kind of money without blinking twice!! I think if you really need to know if something is wrong (or are in a position that you couldnt possibly stay at home F/T with a child who may not be able to go into care (due to a weak immune system etc due to chromosonal issues) then it is worth knowing.

Our dd was born with deletion 22q11 (most common chromosonal disorder after Downs). While pg we had no idea there was anything wrong. Her condition meant me spending 10 weeks over the course of her 6,5mth life 300kms away from home with DH at home working except on weekends when he'd drive up to be with us. It almost tore our relationship apart.

When we finally got pg with DS I was certainly not going to go down the route of having unknown anything again! I opted for a CVS at 11 weeks at which time they couldnt get enough of a sample so had to go back and have an amnio (either of which btw are not overly risky if done by a highly experieced Ob (one who does 50+ procedures a year). We had to wait 2 weeks for the full results though to be given the all clear on 22q11.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EarthAngel75 For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (09-09-2013),Team panda  (09-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is this like the Verifi BT?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Earthangel.
    I went to see my fs this morning and she gave me a pamphlet for the blood test. Monash use Harmony Testing and it costs $850 and takes 14 days. Anyway the genetic counsellor is going to call me so we can discuss all options. Im thinking more and more just to do this testing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone...

yes Peoni... it's kind of like the Verifi but there are slightly different conditions and accuracy... Verifi is only available after 10 weeks...

Panda I think I will do the same...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spoke to the genetic counsellor and basically she said the best tests are still the amnio and cvs as they test for many chromosome abnormalities as well as other things and they are the most accurate. If I were to do the maternal serum screening blood test it would come back as very high risk factor due to my age (nearly 43) where as if I went straight to the Harmony I could get 1:10000 for the same thing. The maternal serum screen is heavily based on age so risk factor will be very high for myself even though it may in actual fact not be. Harmony is very good at detecting Downs but probably for myself I should be looking at one of the other companies as I've already had a trisomy 13 pregnancy and my risk factor for this to happen again is slightly increased. These other companies are better at detecting trisomy 13. They all have a detection test but some are better than others for certain abnormalities. If we do this blood test they will still want us to have a 12 week ultrasound to detect any other abnormalities and if that comes back high then amnio or cvs is still recommended. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome answer Panda, thanks. I think the accuracy for cvs is 100%? Keep me posted on how things go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I think she said CVS and amnio are 100%.
    So it seems we really arent out of the woods yet. It would have been nice if the blood test could just eliminate every possible abnormality. Unfortunately looks like more testing to come.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Percept is a better test

I've looked at all the tests and the only one actually done locally is Percept (the RWH uses it, but I got it through my private obs. I had to tell him what test I wanted, tho.). All the others send the blood to America and China for the test. My result only took 3 days. The overseas travel means the others take much longer. They cost around the same.